Coil vs evol with Luftkappe

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Is it much better? The initial small bump compliance of coil over evol coupled with a Luftwaffe in say a 2019 fox 36?

goobags

Likes Dirt
I had a 34 NA2 with luftkappe and a 34 evol at the same time. Luftkappe definitely better but evol is a big improvement over NA2.

Now I have a lyrik with an ACS3 and the same 34 evol.

I could get the luftkappe to sag under the weight of the bike, however coil wins for breakaway force provided there is minimal pre load in the real world. Coil is heavier and more expensive as a retrofit. Either way, a serviced fork and a damper with lots of adjustment helps, just to make the whole process more expensive.

It then leads to the discussion of cool vs air for overall performance not just breakaway force

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I had a 34 NA2 with luftkappe and a 34 evol at the same time. Luftkappe definitely better but evol is a big improvement over NA2.

Now I have a lyrik with an ACS3 and the same 34 evol.

I could get the luftkappe to sag under the weight of the bike, however coil wins for breakaway force provided there is minimal pre load in the real world. Coil is heavier and more expensive as a retrofit. Either way, a serviced fork and a damper with lots of adjustment helps, just to make the whole process more expensive.

It then leads to the discussion of cool vs air for overall performance not just breakaway force

Yep. Thanks the info. I'm presenting running evol and vorsprung. I think if I was going a coil retrofit I'd look at the smashpot. I was just entertaining the idea of the push as a fella was selling one cheap on FB.

goobags

Likes Dirt
It would be an incremental upgrade. Maybe be worth it, may not. Up a bit to personal preference. I would like to try smashpot due to hydraulic bottom out rather than extra air spring, but realistically a new fork would get a luftkappe over coil due to price.

If you do buy that one and if it’s the one I’m thinking it’s cheap, factor in the price of at least one extra spring.