Cole Aries carbon wheels, here's the weight

safreek

Don't know if any of you care about cheap wheels, just thought I would post the weight of these $220 carbon wheels. I don't know if the weight is good or bad, the wheels look good though

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Over 2kg isn't that great for a carbon wheelset TBH, although the price is pretty good. What's the full detail on the wheels? i.e.
  • Rim size
  • Rim width
  • Spoke count
  • Hub brand
  • Target application (XC, Trail, NDuro?)

My previous LB wheels have all netted around 1600-1700g with DT hubs and 28H drilling, my "heavy" Reserves are 1800 for a 29'er set (and have been bombproof without inserts for the last 2 years or so). But then even the LB wheelsets at the moment you're looking at 4x - 5x the price of your wheels above.

safreek

I don't know if appleman knows his stuff but here is what he has to sayhttps://www.applemanbicycles.com/unidirectional-versus-woven-carbon-fiber

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Definitely a strange wheelset, and I'm guessing the weight is mostly in the hubs & spokes. I'll be staying away, but I guess if anyone wanted a cheap, QR, 26" wheelset it's not too bad, especially the first link which are going for $150 currently.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
carbon wrapped ally maybe? wtf is with the hub design? spoke locking rings?

when the price is too good to be true......

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I don't know if appleman knows his stuff but here is what he has to say https://www.applemanbicycles.com/unidirectional-versus-woven-carbon-fiber
Fixed to make link work (missed a space).

He's right from a purely structural load-bearing perspective, but woven does improve impact resistance. UD relies on the strength of the resin to resist impact; if the resin is broken, the laminate can shred between the fibres. Woven fibres reinforce each other to an extent, preventing shredding along the fibre threads.

Last edited:

safreek

Definitely a strange wheelset, and I'm guessing the weight is mostly in the hubs & spokes. I'll be staying away, but I guess if anyone wanted a cheap, QR, 26" wheelset it's not too bad, especially the first link which are going for $150 currently.
the $150 ones are all sold, in fact the 220 ones are gone. They do look fine, that's all that really matters
carbon wrapped ally maybe? wtf is with the hub design? spoke locking rings?

when the price is too good to be true......
apparently the $150 wheels were alloy carbon, these are meant to be full rim carbon. That's how I read it anyway
Fixed to make link work (missed a space).

He's right from a purely structural load-bearing perspective, but woven does improve impact resistance. UD relies on the strength of the resin to resist impact; if the resin is broken, the laminate can shred between the fibres. Woven fibres reinforce each other to an extent, preventing shredding along the fibre threads.
cheers mate, I don't think they will be getting any real hard work. I'm not known for destroying gear, unless I'm holding a spanner or Allan keys

Flow-Rider

Burner
To be honest it still would not bother me if fake, they look cool, much better than anything close to that price. Shame they are screw on rotor attachments. Shall see how they run when I get decent drivetrain.
Haven't you bought wheels like this in the past with that type of spoke interface to the hub ?
Theres your problem. They're made out of Caron.

View attachment 371083
I think it's time for drillium to see what this Caron material is really made from.

safreek

Haven't you bought wheels like this in the past with that type of spoke interface to the hub ?

I think it's time for drillium to see what this Caron material is really made from.
Shall have a look when I get home, Cole massif if I remember correctly.
One day I'll get onto the GT project again, one day