comfortable grips for enduro, to go with grip shift

Slowman

Likes Dirt
The Back Yamma Bigfoot being a fairly flat course means a couple of things. Lots of pedaling and not a great deal of position changes on the bike. Both my hands were going numb, though, the left was worse as it didn't need to do much shifting.

Because I have grip shift I have smaller lock-on ODI stationary grips (100mm instead of the standard 130mm). I think the problem is the metal lock ring in the middle. I have full width ODI lock-ons with trigger shifters on my other bike and no real dramas. The lock ring in the middle (adjacent to the shifting grip) kind of impinges on the bottom of the palm where there is a sort of cleft. Both my little finger and ring fingers went numb and tingly and it is only today that the numbness has completely gone!

Has anyone tried silicon grips? I have taped over the ODIs with road bar synthetic cork tape to see how that goes, seemed to feel all right on this morning's ride - it didn't bring it on again.

A lot of the time grips seem quite comfortable on rides of a couple of hours but once you go over 4 or 5 then you start to notice they start to get uncomfortable.

What do others use for enduros? And any tricks?

DaGonz

Eats Squid
I use Oury lockons. For grip shift, I go 3 quarters along (where the last block starts) and hacksaw the end off. Tighten up the lockon on the end, bob's your uncle. only having one clamp was never an issue for me.

you can also get Ergon grips with the single lockon clamp at the end in gripshift models

HTH

Cheers
Spoonie

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
I'm really liking the ESIs ... I have big hands and have been using the chunky on the DH rig sans gloves.

From their site ... you pretty much just cut them down for grip shift

I'm yet to try the thins for longer small bike action but quietly confident these are it until I start crashing and seeing if they start ripping apart. (I'm running alu bar caps to protect them a little).

iscarrr

Likes Dirt
Just put some ESI Chunky's on today - will let you know how they go after a ride tomorrow. Have got quite good reviews, but we'll see - nice and light anyway.

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
I use ergons, just cut them to fit the grip shifters. I've got a set already cut if you're interested (switched to XX so so more grip shift for me)...

Review and details are here

Just PM if you want more details

Beechie

Banned
twist shift

I use ergons, just cut them to fit the grip shifters. I've got a set already cut if you're interested (switched to XX so so more grip shift for me)...
I use the ergons cut down for the Sram XO twist and full width for the XTR trigger bike ............. for enduros, marathons, solo 12 & 24 they are the ducks guts!
Cost a bit, but relaxing.
Alternatively with lockons just cut off the end near the twist...

m_g

Likes Dirt

Review and details are here

Just PM if you want more details
i cant seem to get comfiortable on my ergons...ive ridden them three times now with multiple positions, but I find I cant get them in a place where I am comfortable braking AND comfortable shifting...I find they need to be too flat to shift properly, which then makes it uncomfortable to brake as my palm is hard up against the "blade" of the ergon...

I also find my right shifting thumb gets fatigued quickly with these...Im not sure if its because i have a 17 degree sweep bar that is putting the fitting out, but i am about to get rid of them, unless anyone has some tips

ming

Likes Bikes
I really like the ESI grips. Comfortable, simple and light. They did not even slip in the Capital Punishment.

Torpedo7 has them for $20 until tomorrow...

Steve_N

Likes Dirt
Another one for Ergons here... I use the proper Gripshift version on my Lenz and the normal version on my KHS (which has old XT triggers). Can't fault them. Love the integrated bar ends for changing positions when I'm bored/tired...

skinya

Likes Dirt
Jet black ergon look a likes

Have had good comfort for long halls with jet black ergon look a likes and their cheap.

Josh Seksy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
+1 for Ozriders

Another suggestion for you would be to get 90mm grips (some grips come in 100mm for gripshift, and 90mm for gripshift & barends) and run some ergo shaped bar ends, I used to do this to counter the racey postition of my scale on enduro's, worked a treat!

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
I was looking at the ESI Chunky but the OzRiders look good and locally available.
FWIW, Ozriders are cheaper than ESI because they are not the same thing at all. ESI is 100% silicon which gives, in my experience, the best cushioning, lifespan, and bar/grip/hand adhesion. Ozriders are just foam grips, and do not share these properties.