Coming to Adelaide (Victor Harbour this time) at the end of the month. Ideas...?

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Hello people, I'm heading to Adelaide for a week later this month and I'm looking to spend a morning on some of the local trails.

I'll be looking to head out on either Thursday the 21st or Friday the 22nd.

I've had a bit of a look and trails close to where I'm staying look to be Eagle mountain bike park, Lynton reserve trails or Shepard's Hill recreation park. I'm open to other suggestions as well.

Ideally I like to ride more of the gravity trails (but nothing to crazy given I'm holidaying with family and don't think that returning with a broken something would go down all that well... :p) but happy to pedal up to earn the descents if need be. Shuttles would be ideal if they're available and I'm more than happy to pay more than my fair share if something is available or could be organised.

I'll be staying at the Big 4 West Beach so anything within a 45ish minute drive at the most would be good, less even better.

And if there's a burner (or 2) that would be available for a bit of a meet up and tour that would also be great!

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Calling @ozzybmx and @Ackland...

The locations you mention are probably your best options close to where you’ll be staying @wkkie - not sure if Fox Creek is open again after the fires last year but has some decent gravity trails. It is a bit further away though.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
O'Halloran Hill is only 20 minutes from West Beach. If you want a long burn, you could incorporate a Sturt Gorge loop, and some runs at Craigburn farm into the ride. I've never been fit or strong enough to do all that, but more than keen to catch up and give you a tour.

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Hey ho wkkie

First things first, the best bit of Adelaide is that Eastern staters leave us alone so if you enjoy yourself, keep it to yourself.

1. Have you got the Trailforks App? (latest maps refreshed etc etc... you may have to pay these days..)
  2. Specifically what bike(s) are you bringing - any family fun riding days?
  3. Is it literally "just a morning"? (nobody runs shuttles on a Thursday or Friday)
  4. Are we talking gravity gravity or gravity driven fun trails over a decent distance?
Fox is still out.

• For Gravity within 45 mins of your area your best bets are...
  • Glenthorne National Park (ex O'Halloran Hill RP, not super gravity focused but fun) - http://instagr.am/p/CDTfSnvB9bY/
  • 80 Acres (It's a bit on the DL so you may need local advice) - lots of climbing
  • Andoes - where the local DH squids hang because they can use the train for shuttles

For a fun solid morning with a sampling of fun trails....... (more trail than gravity) - If you like the concept I'll make you a GPS trace or a good map

• Get yourself on the Belair train line and get off at Belair station.
  • Ride to the top of Belair NP via Queen's Jubilee Track
  • Follow the "Adventure Loop" trail all the way down to the old golf course - Stop at the "Goat Shed" for a coffee
  • Head across to Burnell Drive and take the link trail and Randell's X Over to Andoes DH
  • There's a nice easy climb back to the top of Andoes DH
  • Now... from here, I definitely haven't suggested that you then jump across the road and over the armco barrier and ride "Brownies DH" but if you did.... that's on you.....
  • These are a bit of Andoes and Brownies - http://instagr.am/p/CEbY9RxBkGR/ - http://instagr.am/p/CEA2GgVB7Jj/
  • You could always skip the scenic bits and do Andoes and Brownies with the squids
  • From the bottom of Brownies, roll out to the Ed beer garden and have lunch while you wait for the fam
OK, so I already made a Strava Route.....

wkkie

Wow... Might take me some time to get my head around that! :)

I want sure of the shuttle situation, Blue Dirt here in Victoria run shuttles at different locations daily throughout the holidays, so thought there might have been something similar over the border. Either that, or that there might have been a group that I could tag along with.

1. I do have Trailforks and Strava.

2. I'll be bringing the Zerode. This ride won't be a family ride. I'll have 2 kids with me (on the holiday) that are 10, but they won't be up for a big ride like this.

3. Pretty much just a few hours will be free, from around 7 ish up until lunchtime / 1 ish.

4. Probably talking more gravity driven fun pedaling, unless shuttles are involved.

Thanks for all that info. I'll have a look at the footage and files when I get a chance later in the day. Appreciate the info that's for sure!

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I was staying next to Fox Creek for 5 days before Christmas, lamenting that I didn't have bike - but if its still closed that makes me feel a little better (although sucks for the locals, hope its open soon). There were still a number of bikes on roof racks etc in the hills, so I guess there is some other riding open up there?

Have been threatened with a work trip in March, if I can't get my way with videocon I'll have to try and bring a bike.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I'm in Melrose pretty much until the 23rd when I start back at work.
Acko and Rockmoose have you covered easily, a good range of options there.

If you manage to convince the missus to shuttle you for an hour, head to Kersbrook for a ride, you are then in the Barossa wine district, take her to eat nice food and drink nice wine as reward.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
I'm in Melrose pretty much until the 23rd when I start back at work.
Acko and Rockmoose have you covered easily, a good range of options there.

If you manage to convince the missus to shuttle you for an hour, head to Kersbrook for a ride, you are then in the Barossa wine district, take her to eat nice food and drink nice wine as reward.
Eff me it would be dry up there!
Got a gravel rig with you? I've got some routes that need testing

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Hey ho wkkie

First things first, the best bit of Adelaide is that Eastern staters leave us alone so if you enjoy yourself, keep it to yourself.

1. Have you got the Trailforks App? (latest maps refreshed etc etc... you may have to pay these days..)
  2. Specifically what bike(s) are you bringing - any family fun riding days?
  3. Is it literally "just a morning"? (nobody runs shuttles on a Thursday or Friday)
  4. Are we talking gravity gravity or gravity driven fun trails over a decent distance?
Fox is still out.

• For Gravity within 45 mins of your area your best bets are...
  • Glenthorne National Park (ex O'Halloran Hill RP, not super gravity focused but fun) - http://instagr.am/p/CDTfSnvB9bY/
  • 80 Acres (It's a bit on the DL so you may need local advice) - lots of climbing
  • Andoes - where the local DH squids hang because they can use the train for shuttles
For a fun solid morning with a sampling of fun trails....... (more trail than gravity) - If you like the concept I'll make you a GPS trace or a good map

• Get yourself on the Belair train line and get off at Belair station.
  • Ride to the top of Belair NP via Queen's Jubilee Track
  • Follow the "Adventure Loop" trail all the way down to the old golf course - Stop at the "Goat Shed" for a coffee
  • Head across to Burnell Drive and take the link trail and Randell's X Over to Andoes DH
  • There's a nice easy climb back to the top of Andoes DH
  • Now... from here, I definitely haven't suggested that you then jump across the road and over the armco barrier and ride "Brownies DH" but if you did.... that's on you.....
  • These are a bit of Andoes and Brownies - http://instagr.am/p/CEbY9RxBkGR/ - http://instagr.am/p/CEA2GgVB7Jj/
  • You could always skip the scenic bits and do Andoes and Brownies with the squids
  • From the bottom of Brownies, roll out to the Ed beer garden and have lunch while you wait for the fam
OK, so I already made a Strava Route.....
That's my next Adelaide trip sorted!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Eff me it would be dry up there!
Got a gravel rig with you? I've got some routes that need testing
Yeah got a gravel bike. Definitely have not had any rain since that unseasonal 30mm overnight in mid December.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
O'Halloran Hill is only 20 minutes from West Beach. If you want a long burn, you could incorporate a Sturt Gorge loop, and some runs at Craigburn farm into the ride. I've never been fit or strong enough to do all that, but more than keen to catch up and give you a tour.

@wkkie & rock moose i’d be keen to join, i should b in adelaide at same time

wkkie

Well gents, I'm here. Looking bloody hot this week!

I'm looking at Friday since it's the coolest day... (Only 32, between the 35 of Thursday and 39 of Saturday).

I'm probably going to head out at about 7:30 from here. Trail at 8ish I suppose, that's not super locked in though...

You guys still keen / able to come along? Still up for that tour @rockmoose?

I'd be more looking at the 25 km example that @Ackland posted above.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Well gents, I'm here. Looking bloody hot this week!

I'm looking at Friday since it's the coolest day... (Only 32, between the 35 of Thursday and 39 of Saturday).

I'm probably going to head out at about 7:30 from here. Trail at 8ish I suppose, that's not super locked in though...

You guys still keen / able to come along? Still up for that tour @rockmoose?

I'd be more looking at the 25 km example that @Ackland posted above.
I'm still over in Natimuk, but heading back today to start irrigating this arvo. I can work my week around an early Friday trundle.

Why do you want to start so late? 0800 is almost lunchtime.

wkkie

I'm still over in Natimuk, but heading back today to start irrigating this arvo. I can work my week around an early Friday trundle.

Why do you want to start so late? 0800 is almost lunchtime.

0800 lunchtime?? :oops: I was thinking around breakfast, but 0300 might be a tad early for a ride! :p

I'm happy to go earlier, just as long as the brewery is open by the time we finish. Pick your time @rockmoose.