Coming to Adelaide (Victor Harbour this time) at the end of the month. Ideas...?

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
How did you go?
Really good. Apart from my belt squealing like a mofo! :mad:

Ended up going to O'Halloran Hill. There's a good range of trails and the dust is dusty and fine, but still heaps of grip. Would have been a little nicer with some more shade, but that's just a little gripe.

Anyone heading to Adelaide, I can recommend the trails for sure!

Thanks for all the info too gents. Much appreciated!

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Really good. Apart from my belt squealing like a mofo! :mad:

Ended up going to O'Halloran Hill. There's a good range of trails and the dust is dusty and fine, but still heaps of grip. Would have been a little nicer with some more shade, but that's just a little gripe.

Anyone heading to Adelaide, I can recommend the trails for sure!

Thanks for all the info too gents. Much appreciated!
Was it just dust on the belt causing the squeal @wkkie?

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Was it just dust on the belt causing the squeal @wkkie?
Yep. Only under power, but it needed less and less power to squeal by the end of the ride.

I hadn't cleaned at all since it was installed and the fine dust today tipped it over the edge.

I have it a hose down after the ride and all is silent again. Apparently a bit of silicon spray sorts the noise out. I'll be grabbing myself a can shortly.

beeb

Yep. Only under power, but it needed less and less power to squeal by the end of the ride.

I hadn't cleaned at all since it was installed and the fine dust today tipped it over the edge.

I have it a hose down after the ride and all is silent again. Apparently a bit of silicon spray sorts the noise out. I'll be grabbing myself a can shortly.
Interested to hear your ongoing experiences with this. Still considering belt for a future project, but if it squeals on the regular it would be a hard sell mentally (even though it has the benefit of not needing a solvent-based wash like a chain)...

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
I don't think it's an issue with the belt per se. The Biscay clay dust is really fine and gets into everything. My bike was also squeaking and squawking by the end of the ride. A quick hose down and she's quiet as a church mouse. Summer rides at OHH.

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

beeb

I don't think it's an issue with the belt per se. The Biscay clay dust is really fine and gets into everything. My bike was also squeaking and squawking by the end of the ride. A quick hose down and she's quiet as a church mouse. Summer rides at OHH.
It is a reasonably common complaint of belts, but the only reports you read are about early in the life of the belt, and similar to what @wkkie has said - wash down, maybe try a touch of silicon spray. I've always wondered if it actually reoccurs, and if so a roughly at what intervals? It would still be better than properly maintaining a chain (or chains), I'm just curious as there's so little long-term use information out there...