Commuter tyres

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
Hey dudes! I recently bought a sweet Norco commuter, but the tyres are garbage. So, looking for recommendations on fast rolling 38c or 40c tyres. Was sniffing around Maxxis Gypsies & Roamers, but would love to get thoughts on any others. Cheers! (I DID do a search, but got nada. Sorry if this is a common question)

John U

MTB Precision
I've had kojaks on my 26" commuters for a while. First lot lasted ages. Of the second lot got a hole in one which rooted the tyre. Had to bin it. I have also run some old school Japanese made Tiogas which were excellent. Got a hole in one of those too so now I'm running 1 kojak and 1 tioga.

I run 2.0's which allows me to run about 60psi. This smooths out the bumps a bit, reduces the number of flats because the pressure isn't too high, and still rolls pretty well.

I've run spesh fatboy 1.5s and ritchey Tom slick 1.0s and although they're as fast as fuck they let the show down with a rough ride and too many flats.

Not sure how this'll convert to bigger wheeled commuter.

Oh yeah, I think I tried marathons but I didn't find the grip good enough off the path to warrant using them. I go full slicks like the kojak for on the bike path and just ride a bike with knobbies if I'm going to try to get some singletrack in on the way to work.

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
Oh yeah, I think I tried marathons but I didn't find the grip good enough off the path to warrant using them. I go full slicks like the kojak for on the bike path and just ride a bike with knobbies if I'm going to try to get some singletrack in on the way to work.
So, the full slick thing. Surely they're no good in the wet? This is a pub/shop/kids bike seat, bike. Needs to be pretty user-friendly, and flexible. Having said that, it'll never see dirt, only road and path.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
So, the full slick thing. Surely they're no good in the wet?
On a sealed surface slicks are better than treads 'cos you have more rubber on the ground (tyre size being equal). The round profile also isn't prone to aquaplaning like flat-sectioned car tyres.

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
What size wheel does the bike have?

Continental have a few that should suit, however anything that retails under $50 will be rubbish, their Indian tyres suck! I put some 32mm Gatorskins on my old man's bike and he loves 'em, he had Hutchinsons but was getting flats every second ride so he's happier to have a little more weight and rolling resistance for the added protection against flats.

http://www.pursuitsports.com.au/shop/home.php?cat=321

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
On a sealed surface slicks are better than treads 'cos you have more rubber on the ground (tyre size being equal). The round profile also isn't prone to aquaplaning like flat-sectioned car tyres.
Maybe in a straight line with the bike upright, But as soon as you corner and put lateral pressure on the tire, a slick will lose traction quicker than a threaded water shedding design.
Round vs flat profile doesn't really come into it. Profiles change when loaded (albeit less so with high pressure, low volume tires) hence why motorcycle racers (also with round profile tires) use threaded "wets" to maintain corner grip.

John U

MTB Precision
So, the full slick thing. Surely they're no good in the wet? This is a pub/shop/kids bike seat, bike. Needs to be pretty user-friendly, and flexible. Having said that, it'll never see dirt, only road and path.
I mostly ride my commuter with full slicks on the wet days and my normal mountain bike on the dry days. Unless it is raining moderately a fair bit of the path will remain dry. The slicks grip remarkably well. I am very careful crossing any of the wooden brides that have corners in them if it looks like there's any moisture around. This includes dewy mornings. Straight bridges are fine. I had an arse clenching moment a few weeks ago. I was going flat out down a hill with a few curves and felt the tyre let go on the white line but managed to keep it upright. The track was reasonably dry this night but it was late and cold. It grabbed again. If you're careful enough you won't have too many of those moments.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I've run slicks all winter on my 29er commuter. They're fine. They grip great in the wet except on grass or mud. And watch out for white lines but that applies to any tyres in the wet. Bike tyres only have a few mm of tread on the road so they don't need to disperse water like a car tyre does.

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
Raahto, slicks it is then, cheers! Anyone tried those 'Thickslicks'? That's just based off looks for me, reckon they look sweet! Also, forgot to mention they're 700c's.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Marathon plus or if you want a bit more speed marathon supreme. Not anything much better to be honest.

Or for even faster Durano Plus

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I'm running marathon supremes on my 29er commuter. 700x40c. just sold my spare one, didn't need it. seem to be decent grip and wear ok. bit lighter than the other marathon tyres 100-200gr ea, I think.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Has anyone been able to compare the Schwable Plus tyres to the Continental Plus tyres? I've had punctures with my Schwable Marathon Plus and Durano Plus tyres. The Marathons are heavy too. I've found the 28c Duranos an excellent compromise between weight and comfort.

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Next question- Anyone know a site selling them in 700x40c? Can't seem to find anything apart from the Schwalbe website.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Next question- Anyone know a site selling them in 700x40c? Can't seem to find anything apart from the Schwalbe website.
They don't seem to be available in that size on crc or wiggle atm. 700x35c or 28"x2" (roughly 700 x50mm) seem to be the closest. 700x35c will be a bit lighter and maybe faster, all things being equal etc

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
Hey guys! Bit of a grave dig here. Looking for another set of treads for my runabout. So....what is the widest available slick tyre (or nearest to slick) available in a 700? Say, something in a 700x38c or 700x40c. Have earmarked the Kojak, though it's only available in a 35c. Any feedback/thoughts would be appreciated. Cheers!

Snockers

Likes Bikes
Hey Plugga,

In terms of newer slick options, I've been running Soma Shikoro folding bead tyres in the 700x42 casing for almost 4000km now, and they've been great. Bit heavier than similar Compass tyres, but they do have additional protection that the Compass tyres lack (to favour more supple casings). Just checked on the Australian distributor's website (SCV Imports) and they appear to do a 48c version of the Shikoro now too.

There's definitely a much larger selection of >700x40 tyres available now than when this thread started...although not that many of them are slicks. Maxxis ReFuse is another slick tyre that is now available in 700x40 size, bit heavier/cheaper than the Shikoro. Maxxis Rambler is the next closest to slick that I can think of, easily the quickest and lightest of the knobby tires I've tried, but you'd definitely want the 60tpi (not the 120tpi) version for commuting.

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
Hey Plugga,

In terms of newer slick options, I've been running Soma Shikoro folding bead tyres in the 700x42 casing for almost 4000km now, and they've been great. Bit heavier than similar Compass tyres, but they do have additional protection that the Compass tyres lack (to favour more supple casings). Just checked on the Australian distributor's website (SCV Imports) and they appear to do a 48c version of the Shikoro now too.

There's definitely a much larger selection of >700x40 tyres available now than when this thread started...although not that many of them are slicks. Maxxis ReFuse is another slick tyre that is now available in 700x40 size, bit heavier/cheaper than the Shikoro. Maxxis Rambler is the next closest to slick that I can think of, easily the quickest and lightest of the knobby tires I've tried, but you'd definitely want the 60tpi (not the 120tpi) version for commuting.
Cheers Snockers! Love the look of the Re-Fuse in a 40. That's me sorted, thanks mate!