Commuting without lights? Is it the new trend.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
How do you know the guy was commuting? Could have just been out for an epic ride, bonked and got home late.

I've been caught out a couple of times over the years heading home without a front light when trapped at work for longer than expected. Not a great situation but it happens. I commute 15km each way 4 days a week on 50% shared path. Consistency of lighting on bikes is HEAPS better nowadays than it was 10 years ago, due presumably to improvements in lighting system availability, quality and pricing.

After dark, 95% of pedestrians on the shared paths I use have no lighting or reflective gear either. They present as much of a challenge as a rider without lighting.

Flow-Rider

Burner
How do you know the guy was commuting? Could have just been out for an epic ride, bonked and got home late.

I've been caught out a couple of times over the years heading home without a front light when trapped at work for longer than expected. Not a great situation but it happens. I commute 15km each way 4 days a week on 50% shared path. Consistency of lighting on bikes is HEAPS better nowadays than it was 10 years ago, due presumably to improvements in lighting system availability, quality and pricing.

After dark, 95% of pedestrians on the shared paths I use have no lighting or reflective gear either. They present as much of a challenge as a rider without lighting.
You should always carry a small light if you're commuting in the afternoons, I've got one of those small cateye lights that I've had for something like 6 years and the rear light just lives on the bike normally. I've had a few flat tyres that I've had to stop and waste time to fix but motorist will use any excuse if they hit you at night.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
i don’t normally ride commute living in the country but have been going on a wed early yarra trails shop ride. ride down st. george’s rd bike path, streaming at 630, roughly an hr before sun up surprises me ho many both walkers/runners/bikes do not have any kind of front light, the road lights are on the outside on the footpath, bike lane is in the middle median strip & it quite dark,have had a few near misses in just 3 wks
while i’m on it i’m about to run down the next cyclist i see running a red light, by either giving him a cyclocross shove or grabbing a whole heap of front brake..says me on a fixed wheel tracklocross(yep i’m one of those) no brake grabs for me

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
But it is already law for bicycles to use lights before dawn and after dusk! Reflectors as well.
I though reflectors only had to be sold with a bike, but you don’t have to use them. Lights are mandatory though

creaky

XMAS Plumper
You should always carry a small light if you're commuting in the afternoons, I've got one of those small cateye lights that I've had for something like 6 years and the rear light just lives on the bike normally. I've had a few flat tyres that I've had to stop and waste time to fix but motorist will use any excuse if they hit you at night.
Always have a rear light, was taking about front lighting

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
A bell on a pushbike is an admission that society is full of ignorant fucking idiots.
I just love the emotion that the bell elicits. It's either a grateful 'thank you' for letting them know you're there, or a 'fuck you' for being on a bike in the first place. No middle ground.

As for riding home in the rain, that shits the bomb. Get wet, get loose, enjoy the clear paths. I've had work finish at midnight on occasion and ridden home in the pouring rain, there is nothing better to shake off the work crap and loosen up.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I find riding home in the rain the complete opposite...I just feel like it is one extra serving of "fuck you" to finish off the shifts existence that is work.

John U

MTB Precision
After getting pelted on the morning commute, putting wet riding gear on for the ride home really takes the cake.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Some of my best commutes are in winter - 4 degrees, pitch black and all alone out around the lake and the rain coming in sideways. Makes it a massive adventure!!