Complementary colours...

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Apparently it's the done thing if you're recycling the headset in a second frame because hipster chic or something. Rather than, I dunno, having your bike look like it was put together by a simpleton.
Once... I spent around $250 on a blingdog KING headset when I knew a CaneCreek was 10 times better. I made sure the logos were pointing straight and perfectly lined up with each other, top and bottom.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
@ozzybmx was that a 1/18th straight steerer one? My OCD gland couldn't handle mis-aligned King logos on those either.

They sure are purty though. The anodizing / colours on CK stuff is almost good enough to convince you that spending $250 on a headset is a rational decision.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Actually holy shit I might even have an on topic contribution - @ozzybmx didn't you have a crazy af Nicolai back in the day that had a light blue / red colourway? That looked f***ing mental, like something out of the 50s Soviet space program.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I have read clear-coat isn't great for carbon long-term because UV damage or somesuch, but yeah it is pretty tempting.
whats this "long term" thing you speak of? your bicycle turnover rate is second only to safreeks isnt it? ;)

i've got a bike thats red with blue accents, and another with opaque black and red accents. both work well.

Carbon would work nicely, or a charcoal/gunmetal grey situation. and a colour like that would mean you could change your mind and switch to any of hopes anodized colours and be certain it would work.

ozzybmx

@ozzybmx was that a 1/18th straight steerer one? My OCD gland couldn't handle mis-aligned King logos on those either.

They sure are purty though. The anodizing / colours on CK stuff is almost good enough to convince you that spending $250 on a headset is a rational decision.
Yes, it was on a Surly Mukluk fatbike quite a few years back. It was a black 1 1/8 on an orange bike.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
It's the wild colour scheme that freaks me,'' said Zaphod whose love affair with this ship had lasted almost three minutes into the flight, Every time you try to operate on of these weird black controls that are labelled in black on a black background, a little black light lights up black to let you know you've done it. What is this? Some kind of galactic hyperhearse?''

The walls of the swaying cabin were also black, the ceiling was black, the seats --- which were rudimentary since the only important trip this ship was designed for was supposed to be unmanned --- were black, the control panel was black, the instruments were black, the little screws that held them in place were black, the thin tufted nylon floor covering was black, and when they had lifted up a corner of it they had discovered that the foam underlay also was black.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
It's the wild colour scheme that freaks me,'' said Zaphod whose love affair with this ship had lasted almost three minutes into the flight, Every time you try to operate on of these weird black controls that are labelled in black on a black background, a little black light lights up black to let you know you've done it. What is this? Some kind of galactic hyperhearse?''

The walls of the swaying cabin were also black, the ceiling was black, the seats --- which were rudimentary since the only important trip this ship was designed for was supposed to be unmanned --- were black, the control panel was black, the instruments were black, the little screws that held them in place were black, the thin tufted nylon floor covering was black, and when they had lifted up a corner of it they had discovered that the foam underlay also was black.
Forty-two!

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
So clear-coat is possible, and is UV resistant. Can also do colour-tinted clears too.

Metallics are possible, or even chameleons.

However, I'm leaning towards keeping it simple, and going with either this matte metallic grey or just a clear coat over the carbon:

ozzybmx

So clear-coat is possible, and is UV resistant. Can also do colour-tinted clears too.

Metallics are possible, or even chameleons.

However, I'm leaning towards keeping it simple, and going with either this matte metallic grey or just a clear coat over the carbon:
Matte if going black ! Clear coated blank Chi carbon looks cheap, we bought one earlier this year :rolleyes: Should have stayed with matte.