Complimentary exercise?

teK--

Eats Squid
Exercise is great but for me the biggest thing I did to improve my riding was yoga and Pilates style exercise.
This.

Particularly as we get older it is so much more important to incorporate flexibility and mobility exercises as well as resistance.

Also proper warmup, stretching and rolling.

MTB specific exercises which are really helpful. The ones marked with (*) are good to vary with a single leg/arm version to load up your core:

• Turkish getup (Excellent for core strength and stability)
  • Overhead press (*)
  • Kettlebell swings (*)
  • Rows (*)
  • Deadlifts (*)
  • Pushups/chest press
  • Lunges/reverse lunges
  • Squats
  • Chinups
  • Bridges

You don't need a lot of gear to carry these out effectively. Just 2-3 dumbells or kettlebells, and you are sorted.

teK--

Eats Squid
Climbing is my first, and other sport that I love. I'm not sure how great it is as a complimentary exercise though to be honest. It might also just lead to adrenaline overdose if you're trying to push your limits both sports at the same time.

It is a little funny to hear that trad climbing costs $$$, coming from a mountain bike site....the price of an "entry level" hardtail would set you up pretty sweetly. I'll admit that it's definitely a lot for your second sport. The real hidden cost is gym fees and memberships, which are ongoing and add up for sure.
Also grip fatigue! I find riding before or after a day of climbing will always compromise the quality and intensity of either activity. The alternative is to climb mid week and still ride on the weekend.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Optus Sports are showing free Yoga/Pilates classes online, do you think they're worthwhile or should I go to a class with a professional who can show how to do it properly?
Go to a couple of classes, explain what you are doing and which exercises suit. I was doing rehab for the cracked sternum and broken ribs and this is what I did. Now I do a routine at home. Then you can look online. nudeyoga.com at least that is the one @Minlak recommended.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Go to a couple of classes, explain what you are doing and which exercises suit. I was doing rehab for the cracked sternum and broken ribs and this is what I did. Now I do a routine at home. Then you can look online. nudeyoga.com at least that is the one @Minlak recommended.
Abi Carver https://yoga15.com/ has some great routines that she has developed specifically for mountain bike riders. Realistically though I think that I need to go to a few classes as when I'm at home there is always something else that requires my attention.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Fantastic advice everyone!

I looked into Pilates and it's too much $$$ for me right now.

Wow, I'd never heard of a Turkish get up before, I can see why it's so effective!

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Not as long as the pain of a torn hamstring. Definitely worth the effort getting those loose and limber.
Yep, so the physio said. Apparently a lot of my lower back pain comes from my hamstrings... My flexibility is extremely poor. Who would have thought 30 years of riding would do that! I'm just going to get an Ebike though. That fixes all ailments I believe :p

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Optus Sports are showing free Yoga/Pilates classes online, do you think they're worthwhile or should I go to a class with a professional who can show how to do it properly?
Upload a video of it and we will let you know where you are going wrong.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Too much reading up there but I'm sure I saw Pilates in there somewhere. I hate it, but it's super helpful and keeps the cycling and weights tied together. Also works wonders in keeping the fairly heavy workload (plumber) from hurting too much and is slowly getting my back functioning again after breaking it.

Again, I hate it, it's no fun, but the effects speak for themselves

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
Morning stretches and yoga for mobility and flexibility, kettlebells and gymnastics rings for strength and conditioning.