Confessions from the fuckwits

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Today I achieved Peak Fuckwit. Moorey has been usurped.

As some may know I have a nice new truck, VW Amarok. I'm quite proud of it. Let me confess. We're going up the coast for xmas and a few days to spend time with wifeys family and mine. Towing the camper up as brother-in-laws house is full of their family, so we can sleep nicely in his back yard. I should fill up the car for the trip, so there is no delay on the way up.

I fill up at BP as its got the dirt clearing diesel. BP sells Ultimate diesel, its well marketed. So I started filling up with Ultimate, seeing it said Ultimate on the pipe and stuff. Hang on, that's not the price diesel was for. And the nozzle fitted too easy. FARK, I'm pumping Ultimate 98 unleaded. So stop pumping. Only 2.61 litres went in. It was half full when I started so I'll just fill the remainder with diesel, and - you know - it'll be so diluted the engine will be sweet. So I top up the 80 litre tank, but 2.6 litres are unleaded. Seeing its so diluted I'll just drive the 1km to office and ring VW Roadside Assist from there - what can 1km do hey? All is cool.

VW ask me, so you haven't started it have you? Um, I drove it just 1km to work. Its so diluted she'll be fine. Ahh, no say VW. It has to be towed to a dealer. It has to have the tank drained. It has to have the fuel lines flushed. It has to have the fuel filter checked. It has to have the engine codes checked for problems. And potentially, seeing unleaded has no lubricating properties it could have farked the injectors which is a nice easy $9,000 job to fix. At this point I go totally white and shit myself.

Fuck.

Its basically Xmas eve. Service departments are booked out. Roadside Assist do not cover any of this because wrong fuel is not covered. Closest dealer is Blacktown, but NO-ONE can contact the service department. OK, Denlo in Parramatta is not much further I'll check them. Nah sorry sir, we'll try but we're FULLY booked seeing its xmas eve almost. Bugger it, I'll try them seeing its where I bought it. So I tow it to Denlo.

Then 5 minutes later, Blacktown dealer ring and let me know they can probably deal with it today. But its on a towtruck to Parramatta, so sorry too late to try you. Towed at 11am, arrived about 12.30 or something, so car can't be looked at today...

My mind is reeling with a $9,000 engine fix and seeing my other car can't tow the camper, I have just f*cked xmas for my family. D*ckhead.

I pester the service department, very nicely, but they have other cars in the queue so again, we'll try sir but no chance today, next Wednesday is our first chance. They close at 4pm, and at 3pm I am royally screwed.

They ring at 3.15, and let me know the service manager has cleared the fuel, lines are free from filings and all is ready. What a relief! They actually got the thing cleared and even washed it for me.

Big props to Denlo VW Parramatta service department and now my kids get their xmas up the coast!
A Christmas miracle! You'll be wanting some fresh panties for christmas?

How many 6 packs of beer do you owe these unscrupulous dealers?

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I did that to my old Hilux about 5 litres of petrol accidentally but not too much i just added oil to the tank then the diesel it went fine but its 25 years old and not a finely tuned specimen.

NeoNasty

Likes Dirt
Today I achieved Peak Fuckwit. Moorey has been usurped.
I did this to the wifes i30. I called a mechanic friend and he just said top it up with Diesel, then at 3/4 tank, keep topping it up. Zero Problems! Its now done a further 100,000Kms with no problems.

I have a Diesel Troopcarrier, its an old school engine and will probably run on anything. BUT! I read an article on guys putting some two stroke oil in with the tank (about 200:1) to lubricate the engine. Since Diesel has had low sulfur, there's less lubricant in it. I have been running it in the engine for about 3 years and its never run better.

*TL:DL. If you do it again, just top it up full with diesel and throw about a cup worth of two stroke oil to help with the lubication. You'll be fine.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
I have a Diesel Troopcarrier, its an old school engine and will probably run on anything. BUT! I read an article on guys putting some two stroke oil in with the tank (about 200:1) to lubricate the engine. Since Diesel has had low sulfur, there's less lubricant in it. I have been running it in the engine for about 3 years and its never run better.
I used to run my landcruiser on 30-40% waste vege oil. Worked fine, no noticeable loss of power, no coking around the valves and it made it cheaper to run than my partners Corolla.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
3% unleaded?

VW helpline simply covering their arse and reading from a book not from any level of knowledge. VW are the true fuckwits here.

Work colleague got contaminated diesel from a shell after a week of heavy rain, they wrote the car off

For absolute proof of VW's level of competence, witness below quote,

"Volkswagen’s PR boss, Karl Gehling was also forthcoming about potential diesel fuel issues. “People often store and carry their own diesel fuel,” he said “and this can create a problem with water and contaminants.” His advice was to ensure that containers for diesel fuel are kept scrupulously clean and use the oldest fuel first rather than storing it over a long period.

“Standard fuel filters will cope with water in the fuel until it reaches an excessive level,” he explained. “However, water floats on diesel fuel (it doesn’t and we think Karl means that diesel floats on water, as does petrol because each liquid has a lower specific gravity than water – Ed), so the cheapest and most sensible insurance policy is not to run your fuel too low in the tank.” He speaks from personal experience since his father runs a diesel VW and never lets the fuel gauge drop below quarter full. Karl explains why. “When the fuel level gets low, the fuel sloshes around in the tank. Because the fuel is floating on top of the water, there’s a good chance the system will take in some water rather than fuel. The contaminants are being stirred up as well when the level is low.”

Go to the top of the pile Karl

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
3% unleaded?

VW helpline simply covering their arse and reading from a book not from any level of knowledge. VW are the true fuckwits here.

Work colleague got contaminated diesel from a shell after a week of heavy rain, they wrote the car off

"Volkswagen’s PR boss, Karl Gehling was also forthcoming about potential diesel fuel issues. “People often store and carry their own diesel fuel,” he said “and this can create a problem with water and contaminants.” His advice was to ensure that containers for diesel fuel are kept scrupulously clean and use the oldest fuel first rather than storing it over a long period.

“Standard fuel filters will cope with water in the fuel until it reaches an excessive level,” he explained. “However, water floats on diesel fuel (it doesn’t and we think Karl means that diesel floats on water, as does petrol because each liquid has a lower specific gravity than water – Ed), so the cheapest and most sensible insurance policy is not to run your fuel too low in the tank.” He speaks from personal experience since his father runs a diesel VW and never lets the fuel gauge drop below quarter full. Karl explains why. “When the fuel level gets low, the fuel sloshes around in the tank. Because the fuel is floating on top of the water, there’s a good chance the system will take in some water rather than fuel. The contaminants are being stirred up as well when the level is low.”

Go to the top of the pile Karl
They've got to justify their existence some how.

Most diesel fuel tanks have drain plugs and you are meant to drain a couple of litres out of the tank every so often as all the crap and water sits on the bottom. It's also a good way of checking if you are filling up with crap. You can get aftermarket high quality pre filters with loud buzzers to detect water in the fuel line. New diesels don't cope with a sniff of water too well, it's a big problem in humid areas like Cairns.

Last edited:

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
In a previous life as an EPA officer, we once tracked down some tool in a landcruiser who upon realising he'd filled the tank with petrol pushed back and cracked the drain plug on the tank and dumped it into the storm water drain. Pushed it back to the pump again and refilled and drove off...

That cost him a $1000 fine :)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
In a previous life as an EPA officer, we once tracked down some tool in a landcruiser who upon realising he'd filled the tank with petrol pushed back and cracked the drain plug on the tank and dumped it into the storm water drain. Pushed it back to the pump again and refilled and drove off...

That cost him a $1000 fine :)
I know a guy who did something like this...he was making a film in outback Qld about wilderness adventuring and gold prospecting. He decided to include his folly and solution (dumping it onto the ground and refilling from his tanks) in the film. He received a visit from the authorities after his film was released.

scblack

Leucocholic
Cheers guys, all is good now. I was soo close to just driving on seeing it was so diluted, but seeing its brand new thought I should listen to them. Now at least it has their bill of health.

Have a great Xmas day.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Cheers guys, all is good now. I was soo close to just driving on seeing it was so diluted, but seeing its brand new thought I should listen to them. Now at least it has their bill of health.

Have a great Xmas day.
It would have been a big cost to risk fucking it up. You should've syphoned it straight back out at the servo and demanded a refund.

MARKL

Eats Squid
... VW are the true fuckwits here.

Surely this is peak irony VW? Should ask them if it will have any impact on emissions results?

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Installed the Vorsprung Luftkappe for the pike.

Turned a 20min job into 5hrs.

Didn't have the right tools, did everything wrong.

A YouTube how to video telling me to compress the forks before putting them back together didn't help.

Oh well, a good learning curve but fuckwit status gained.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
My cats breath smells like cat food.
I'm sure there's some relevance there... tom = cat maybe... not that you really give a fuck what anyone says... it's likely your defence mechanism and uber cool way of keeping people guessing.