Confessions from the fuckwits

goobags

Likes Dirt
*Sample size of 1...

Sample size of 2....

Same bike, same part of track with basically brand new Ardents. Maybe I should admit defeat and ponder the use of Huck Norris or Cushcore.

Walked back up the track to look for the offending rock but couldn’t find anything out of the ordinary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deano

Likes Dirt

Sample size of 2....

Same bike, same part of track with basically brand new Ardents. Maybe I should admit defeat and ponder the use of Huck Norris or Cushcore.

Walked back up the track to look for the offending rock but couldn’t find anything out of the ordinary.

That looks like tire gash rather than pinch flat? What's hn or cc going to do for that? Maybe something with more rubber under the tread would help

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

goobags

Likes Dirt
Yeah since looking at the damage with the goo removed, looks like a sharp pierce rather than a pinch.

Comment around the tyre inserts comes from me questioning in another thread why you would buy carbon rims to then put a heap of weight in with tyre protection. Since then I have got carbon rims and damaged two tyres in about 300km

deano

Likes Dirt
Yeah since looking at the damage with the goo removed, looks like a sharp pierce rather than a pinch.

Comment around the tyre inserts comes from me questioning in another thread why you would buy carbon rims to then put a heap of weight in with tyre protection. Since then I have got carbon rims and damaged two tyres in about 300km

Ha, I did exactly the same thing! Put on carbon wheels and proceeded with gashing two brand new tires and cracking two rims. Not sure if causal or coincidence though. It has settled now, running aluminium rear and carbon front, the repaired tires have been good for a couple of months

I reckon if an insert is necessary to protect a carbon rim then the rim can get fucked. Inserts to allow lower pressures is another matter though.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar

Sample size of 2....

I reckon one (or more) of your cogs fell off the cassette into the spokes, then got deflected into the tyre...? :rolleyes:;)

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I reckon one (or more) of your cogs fell off the cassette into the spokes, then got deflected into the tyre...? :rolleyes:;)
Moorey is just too extreme for regular old tubeless tyres. Going big in the gnar and those A-lines ia no match for the humble tubeless tyre.

Doesn't even need gears...

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
Ha, I did exactly the same thing! Put on carbon wheels and proceeded with gashing two brand new tires and cracking two rims. Not sure if causal or coincidence though. It has settled now, running aluminium rear and carbon front, the repaired tires have been good for a couple of months

I reckon if an insert is necessary to protect a carbon rim then the rim can get fucked. Inserts to allow lower pressures is another matter though.

Yep I have gone carbon to alloy. Weight penalty was minmal and the ride quality is much better. Also happy to just smash through rocks not overly concerned with cost of replacing a alloy rim vs carbon if it comes to that.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Well, after many years, I think from this afternoon I can finally say that I'm part of the club!!

So, it's lowers service time for the X-Fusions, and the absolute BEST thing I've found for Foam Wiper lubrication is the little bit of liquid you get in an almost empty tub to Slicko after it's been in the sun for a while (same as Slick Honey). Alas, my tub of Slicko is pretty new, so is packed full of grease, too much for separation to occur.

No worries I reckon! I'll just chuck a tea-spoon of Slicko in a very small ceramic container (think Creme Brulee dish) and put it in then oven. Surely at 80deg, nothing bad can happen.

So, in it goes and out to the shed I go to remove the lowers and get started. Come back in 10 minutes later to a certain synthetic kinda smell in the kitchen, and an oven with a cute little camp fire in it!!

Shit!

I grab the tongs, put the fan on super high and get that thing outta there! Now I figured that water would be a terribly explosive idea with boiling and on fire grease - I had a little "make my own candle" experiment explode when I was kid (hang on... I obviously didn't learn then!), so as I go to move the container into the sink to then get some dirt from outside to extinguish it...

Uh oh, dropped it into the sink and FIRE FUCKING EVERYWHERE! Detergent bottles melted, soap bottle melted, chopping board melted... Anyway, you get the idea...

Never thought I'd actually HAVE to use the fire extinguisher in the cupboard... But there you go!

Needless to say, the fork seals have now been soaked in 5wt and I'll make sure I keep a MUCH closer eye on things next time. I get the feeling, in hindsight, that the top shelf of the oven was perhaps a bit too hot... Maybe the lower shelf...

What's the worst than could happen! :O

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Well, after many years, I think from this afternoon I can finally say that I'm part of the club!!

So, it's lowers service time for the X-Fusions, and the absolute BEST thing I've found for Foam Wiper lubrication is the little bit of liquid you get in an almost empty tub to Slicko after it's been in the sun for a while (same as Slick Honey). Alas, my tub of Slicko is pretty new, so is packed full of grease, too much for separation to occur.

No worries I reckon! I'll just chuck a tea-spoon of Slicko in a very small ceramic container (think Creme Brulee dish) and put it in then oven. Surely at 80deg, nothing bad can happen.

So, in it goes and out to the shed I go to remove the lowers and get started. Come back in 10 minutes later to a certain synthetic kinda smell in the kitchen, and an oven with a cute little camp fire in it!!

Shit!

I grab the tongs, put the fan on super high and get that thing outta there! Now I figured that water would be a terribly explosive idea with boiling and on fire grease - I had a little "make my own candle" experiment explode when I was kid (hang on... I obviously didn't learn then!), so as I go to move the container into the sink to then get some dirt from outside to extinguish it...

Uh oh, dropped it into the sink and FIRE FUCKING EVERYWHERE! Detergent bottles melted, soap bottle melted, chopping board melted... Anyway, you get the idea...

Never thought I'd actually HAVE to use the fire extinguisher in the cupboard... But there you go!

Needless to say, the fork seals have now been soaked in 5wt and I'll make sure I keep a MUCH closer eye on things next time. I get the feeling, in hindsight, that the top shelf of the oven was perhaps a bit too hot... Maybe the lower shelf...

Are you related to Minlak ?

Minlak

custom titis

Shit!

Are you related to Minlak ?
Is that you DAD?