Confessions from the fuckwits

moorey

call me Mia
You and all 4 of the guys I regularly ride with who use roof racks. One has done it 3 times..2 of them twice.

Edit.
I skipped to the end to read about the bike...that’s rough man. :(

Last edited:

Jpez

Down on the left!
I think that story belongs in a different thread.
I’ve been in your situation with the road death. It can really mess with you for a while.
Make sure as mentioned you talk it out with someone .

MARKL

Eats Squid
Yeah, really shook me up at the time. It was the third time in 18 months I had been with someone as they died. The other two were close family members so very different.

I spent a fair bit of time talking to a mate of mine who is in fire and rescue, amongst others. He was very helpful as provided a logical perspective on what I could and couldn’t do. They obviously see a lot

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
That's a bad day for sure.
The bike-into-carport carnage is just friggen' cruel after going thru such an awful situation. The "universe' can be a real c#nt sometimes.
I hope you have/had another bike in the shed to ride 'coz bike time is good therapy. If I lived around the corner I woulda lent you mine.
I'm sure it's been said to you a lot.....but there's nothing you could have done about that accident or that man's injuries.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
We were very nearly at the scene of the head-on on the South Coast of NSW that killed the family of that Home & Away actress last Christmas. One of the first on scene there that day is a friend, and has struggled with what he saw. His organisation is providing counselling, but it's obviously not a simple matter of flicking a switch.

Sometimes this shit can build over time rather than getting better, so don't feel that time should be an obstacle to discussing how you feel.

MARKL

Eats Squid
Thanks for the thoughts guys. The other stuff put the bike into perspective... but I know you are concerned so the bike that got damaged was number 3 in the quiver and my bicycle OCD came to the fore in that I had enough parts on hand to get it rideable in 24 hours. Everyone has a set of Totem’s under the bed along with a spare set of I9’s don’t they?

The best bit of therapy for want of a better word was helping the kid that got helicoptered out of OMV. I wasn’t leaving him till I knew he was safe

Last edited:

stirk

Burner
Good onya Mark for trying to help, a truely shocking experience to be involved in.

PS I hope that thin floating beam coped a good enough hit and damage to justify demolition lest it trick you or a guest again!! If not slip the removalist a few bob to 'not see it' as they reverse into the car port.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
This is a solid effort. I have long been an advocate for bike racks on roof. My younger brother once asked me 'tow bar rack or roof rack?' My response was the very simple 'do you trust the car behind you or do you trust yourself? If you trust the car behind you more than yourself get a tow bar rack, if you trust yourself get a roof rack.' Now you can probably see where this is going...

So I was supposed to settle on my new house the a week before before Christmas, it got pushed back to the Friday before Christmas and the vendor was being a right prick, had removed items from the house and we didn't now if we would be in our new house for Christmas or even if we would have a home come New Years as we had to be out of the old place. Anyhow after much fucking about we get the keys, I get my daughter and show her the new house. Anyhow it is nearly 5 and I decide to get some things for the pool and we will call by the old house and pick up a few things. We drive past the closest pool shop and it has just closed. So we are driving along and up ahead I can see and smell smoke my first reaction was someone excited about being on holidays and doing burnouts, as I get closer I see it has been a car accident, massive, three cars. I pull over to see what I can do. People are out of the first and third car, I go to the one in the middle. Driver is diagonal in the cabin, feet in drivers footwell head resting on passenger window, pinning his daughter below him. He is in his early 70's she would be 50ish. He is asking for help, can't get him out the driver side, I go to the passenger side and the door can't be opened. People are going 'don't move him, wait for the ambulance...' Yes I know the basic rule is not to move but this guy needed to be out of the car. I can hear sirens getting closer, I go back around to the driver side, he asks me to help him again. His abdomen is swollen, his skin colour has a tinge of grey. I am trying to think what can I do to help, how can I do more and...I watch him die. Someone performs CPR, I watch his chest cave in under CPR, there was no resistance from his sternum...Fire and Rescue, Heavy Rescue, Ambulance etc turn up and start breaking up the car to pull him out the way I wanted to. I grab my daughter, 16 years old, explain that there is no point us staying and watching we will only be in the way, the best people are now here to help, I drive away. She asks if he was going to make it, I lie and tell her there is still hope...

We drive to the old house, pick up some stuff and I throw my old Intense on the roof, put an extra tie to hold the front wheel securely, pick up a pizza on the way home. Now every house I have ever lived in has a garage and for my new house I had one requirement a three car garage, preferably four. At some point my architect wife fell in love with an architect designed house with a fancy car port under the main part of the house. As you approach the house it is really just a thin floating concrete beam...

As I pull into my new street, I drive into the driveway, I hear a sound tire, metal on concrete and...fuckwit
This story has a lot of tragedy, too much for one day. Being a first responder to serious incidents is never a fun thing.

...and fuck man!!! That bike was a priceless work of art. An Hattori Hanzo of the bike world! This is a tragic loss to us all. Placed down here to not overshadow the human tragedy of this story.

MARKL

Eats Squid
This story has a lot of tragedy, too much for one day. Being a first responder to serious incidents is never a fun thing.

...and fuck man!!! That bike was a priceless work of art. An Hattori Hanzo of the bike world! This is a tragic loss to us all. Placed down here to not overshadow the human tragedy of this story.
For clarity it was my SlopeStyle not the Tracer, both works of art in their own ways. The good news is the SS is operational again though colour coordination of the front rim is currently lacking

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
For clarity it was my SlopeStyle not the Tracer, both works of art in their own ways. The good news is the SS is operational again though colour coordination of the front rim is currently lacking
...I had assumed it was the slope style. While I do like the tracers, the slope style and socom (why did my phone autocorrect that to Sodom?) and now the 951 all have a very special place in my gravity loving heart. A little piece of Jeff Stabber breaks with every such incident of these old hand made machines.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Thanks for the thoughts guys. The other stuff put the bike into perspective... but I know you are concerned so the bike that got damaged was number 3 in the quiver and my bicycle OCD came to the fore in that I had enough parts on hand to get it rideable in 24 hours. Everyone has a set of Totem’s under the bed along with a spare set of I9’s don’t they?

The best bit of therapy for want of a better word was helping the kid that got helicoptered out of OMV. I wasn’t leaving him till I knew he was safe
I don't have much to add to what everyone else has said. I hope your daughter is ok too.

That save from OMV was tops. And you found the bag.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Gotta love a Slopestyle, lovely bike.
Far out man!!! You're even more conservative than I thought. This is the biggest understatement you've.ever made!!! Are you running some kind of depreciation schedule on your level of love for the bikes? Those pics of your mighty stallion have kept me company too many times on the cold and lonely nights.

MARKL

Eats Squid
...I had assumed it was the slope style. While I do like the tracers, the slope style and socom (why did my phone autocorrect that to Sodom?) and now the 951 all have a very special place in my gravity loving heart. A little piece of Jeff Stabber breaks with every such incident of these old hand made machines.
It is funny the Tracer is undoubtedly the better bike, the SS is the work of art. There are times you just stop and stare at the details. Jeff Steber’s heart can rest easy though damage was limited to rim and fork. Tempted to drop the Totem to 160 or put a 36 or Lyrik on the front.