Confessions from the fuckwits

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Been riding my bike with upsweep on the Deity mohawk bars for nearly a year. After reading @Dozer 's article on the alloy bars I looked at mine. Being used to no upsweep I'd installed them so the grips were flat. Adjusted them and rode today, better, and more regret for cutmting them down. But after some adjustment from my wrists all was good and the bike felt good.

The more fuckwit part was forgetting to roll the controls back, resulting in near vertical brake levers. I was wondering why the back wheel was locking up a bit. Wasn't til I got home that I realised.

nathanm

Eats Squid
I'm seriously starting to think I shouldn't be allowed near a bike.

After the brake bleed clusterfuck yesterday arvo, I gave the old stumpy a wash and had a look at the forks as the older style Reba's hadn't felt quite right lately and the ride was overly firm.

Well it turns out that this model is the pushloc ones were you have to trigger the remote to "unlock" them. I pulled the pushloc off ages ago to tidy up the cockpit and turns out on the odd occassion I do ride that bike, the forks are locked out until I hit a bump big enough to disengage it.

refit the pushloc and they're nice and plus again.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Had the bike holder packed up so decided to be a smart arse and mount bicycle on the car rack to do maintenance. Bad idea, don't do it folks.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
That you asked the question, means I really made a poor decision there... I used the bike rack on the car as a repair stand lol!
I still don't know what's going on here. Did the bike get damaged/destroyed, or are you just confessing that you used a #hack solution to get out of a bind?

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
That you asked the question, means I really made a poor decision there... I used the bike rack on the car as a repair stand lol!
I know what you meant, I was picturing a kind of TDF moment with you leaning out of the moving car doing repairs on the way to the trail..
So what happened?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I still don't know what's going on here. Did the bike get damaged/destroyed, or are you just confessing that you used a #hack solution to get out of a bind?
I put said bike on the car carrier to work on the bike. Said bike fell and scratched and dented the bejeezus out of the back (car is 4 months old and I assured the missues the carrier wouldn't damage it haha).

slowmick

38-39"
Ordered the bits to fix the rear hub on my bike. Split the orders between Merlin and SJS to get the cheapest prices. Merlin was cheaper for the axle because it was only the x12 adapters (that i already have spares of) not axle...

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Bought a set of Enve DH wheels off a fellow burner. Was originally going to use them on the Banshee Legend but realised that carbon wheels + DH + shit rider was not going to end well.

Decided to fit them to the Banshee Rune instead. Because umm I ride slower and slightly less shit on enduro bikes, so slightly less risk.

Spend a morning taping them up scratching the decals, swearing and trying to inflate them to no avail. Do some trusty googling to discover that the rims are not tubeless ready, WTF!

Spend another morning trying to do ghetto tubeless. No joy.

Spend another evening doing a super tricky taping job up the sidewalls. No joy.

So now I have a set of blingy carbon wheels that weigh as much as their alloy equivalents and run tubes. F$%^kwit.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I changed the Muru back to 2x10 because I wanted to make the Cannondale 1x11 and needed the RD and I struggled with gearing on some really soft stuff at the beach.

I did the swap and cleaned up the cranks and BB in the process. Usual muck from beach riding. Bearings were fine. A few weeks later #1 rode it and said the BB was crunchy. Hmmmm. I rode it a week before packing it for beach camping and it felt ok. Just 1km or so. No slop. Didnt think any more about it.

Headed off this morning all good. 5km from camp right hand pedal felt weird. So I stopped and spun it, no problems. Headed back towards camp. Note: beach fat biking rule 1 is that it doesnt matter which way the wind is blowing when you ride out it will be against you riding home.

3km from camp and the pedal went tight and then spun. OK going to have to look at this at camp. Pedal then fell off. Shit. So for the next 3km at 11km/h into the fucking wind every 4 or 5 rotations of the cranks I kicked the pedal back on. Managed to get back ok. No walkies.

Cleaned up the spindle and pedal. No bearings, all gone. Interestingly these are Raceface flats and I was assured they ran sealed cartridges bearings alas poor Yorik that is shit. Inner is nylon bush and outer is individual balls.

Strangely both pedals came off when I asked them to.

Anyway #2 is heading up with spare cheapie flats for the rest of the camp.

I like these pedals so I will rebuild him.

Edit: I forgot to mention that when the right hand pedal fell off the pins on the left hand pedal used the opportunity to scratch my left leg, calf to knee pit.

Edit2: And I seemed to have dropped one pedal arm washer in the sand.

Last edited:

nathanm

Eats Squid
What a rollercoaster of emotions in the garage last night.

First the Fuckwit - Posted a wanted to buy for a new brake lever as the one on the STP has been set up as RH Rear. Pulled the brake off last night to find the Tektro lever's barrel rotates to allow it to be run as either front or rear. What a fuckwit.

Now the wins - on the way home picked up a set of Deore brakes and a new Highroller for $60. fitted the Brakes up to the stp and found one of the levers is fully munted and has been bent more than 45 degree. So that new lever @moorey is sending me for the abovementioned one, will actually now be useful.

Last week I orderd 3 sets of G02s brake pads which were the wrong ones for the brake on the STP. Well these new Deore's take these pads and the ones in them are contaminated so win x2, as I put them straight to use.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Bought a set of Enve DH wheels off a fellow burner. Was originally going to use them on the Banshee Legend but realised that carbon wheels + DH + shit rider was not going to end well.

Decided to fit them to the Banshee Rune instead. Because umm I ride slower and slightly less shit on enduro bikes, so slightly less risk.

Spend a morning taping them up scratching the decals, swearing and trying to inflate them to no avail. Do some trusty googling to discover that the rims are not tubeless ready, WTF!

Spend another morning trying to do ghetto tubeless. No joy.

Spend another evening doing a super tricky taping job up the sidewalls. No joy.

So now I have a set of blingy carbon wheels that weigh as much as their alloy equivalents and run tubes. F$%^kwit.

Update. I unfucked myself with another morning of swearing, Macgyver level skills and some 26 inch tubes.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...2&share_fid=1708&share_type=t&link_source=app