Confessions from the fuckwits

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Ok, the confession continues.
Bought @beezlbub ‘s forks knowing they were od2, hoping the od2 bearing he included would allow them to fit straight into his OD trance. I had an OD2 stem to donate, so thought this was the cheapest way to get this kid off his munted forks.

Confession 1. Bearing didn’t fit. Couple of thou too big.
Confession 2. Stem was too long. It’s 100mm. He’s used to 50mm.
Confession 3. Rather than make him now buy a stem and headset to fix my fuckup, I gave him my late model Rebas, and said I’d just recoup money selling these forks. They’re worth about 1/2 what the Rebas are.

Anyone want freshly serviced OD2 talas performance FIT cheap :(
What Talas?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

jasco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We've all been there @moorey.

"why is my chain so noisy..."
Haha, fixes this exact thing on a mates bike today after he replaced the cassette and chain himself.

Though the last time I did that I nailed the derailleur, and forgot to put the chain through the rear triangle. You think threading the derailleur makes a lot of noise? Wait till you hear it with both top and bottom chain runs going running across the underside of a carbon chain stay

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Wanted to pull the brake lever off one of my Hope Tech 3's over the weekend. Grabbed this diagram off Hope's website:

Cool, undo the circlip and start the tap the pivot pin out, seems a bit snug but figured it might just be a little corroded. Pretty soon it wouldn't budge at all. Tried a bit of penetrating oil, and went for it again. Still no love. Brain says - "Okay, get a bigger hammer". Still doesn't work. Guess what the brain says this time? Yep, same again - "Get a bigger hammer" (4lb mash hammer this time). I'm like "F*** me this little bastard's stuck good". Belt the thing out, obviously at this point the pivot pin's mangled beyond repair - including a big flat groove down one side of it. Hmmm... Look behind the lever arm and spot this little bugger:

Whoops! Got the replacements already, so fingers crossed install goes a bit smoother than removal. :oops:

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Wanted to pull the brake lever off one of my Hope Tech 3's over the weekend. Grabbed this diagram off Hope's website:
View attachment 360450

Cool, undo the circlip and start the tap the pivot pin out, seems a bit snug but figured it might just be a little corroded. Pretty soon it wouldn't budge at all. Tried a bit of penetrating oil, and went for it again. Still no love. Brain says - "Okay, get a bigger hammer". Still doesn't work. Guess what the brain says this time? Yep, same again - "Get a bigger hammer" (4lb mash hammer this time). I'm like "F*** me this little bastard's stuck good". Belt the thing out, obviously at this point the pivot pin's mangled beyond repair - including a big flat groove down one side of it. Hmmm... Look behind the lever arm and spot this little bugger:
View attachment 360451

Whoops! Got the replacements already, so fingers crossed install goes a bit smoother than removal. :oops:
Double confession: I've actually done this job in the past - twice (both times minus hammer action) without issue. Not sure why I was feeling quite so special this time around... :p

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Ok, the confession continues.
Bought @beezlbub ‘s forks knowing they were od2, hoping the od2 bearing he included would allow them to fit straight into his OD trance. I had an OD2 stem to donate, so thought this was the cheapest way to get this kid off his munted forks.

Confession 1. Bearing didn’t fit. Couple of thou too big.
Confession 2. Stem was too long. It’s 100mm. He’s used to 50mm.
Confession 3. Rather than make him now buy a stem and headset to fix my fuckup, I gave him my late model Rebas, and said I’d just recoup money selling these forks. They’re worth about 1/2 what the Rebas are.

Anyone want freshly serviced OD2 talas performance FIT cheap :(
I've told you before that the OD2 bearing needs a matching cup because it's slightly bigger than the standard bearing! Head tube bores are the same for both.

moorey

call me Mia
I've told you before that the OD2 bearing needs a matching cup because it's slightly bigger than the standard bearing! Head tube bores are the same for both.
Yes and no. Felix’s mate and his dad directly swapped forks and top bearings between trances. Left the cups in.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Got out for quick sunset ride. All was fine until a biggest stick, which I think is more like a small log, got wedged up in the drivetrain on a short DH section. Then whipped around and belted me in the shin for good measure.

Surprisingly, the rear mech was pointing backwards but once the tree was removed it still shifted ok except for the big cog. The chain got a bit wedged behind the cassette and I pulled it out Ok. Fine, just don't use low till you get home and fix it later........................right..........right..........
I know I can sort it, it doesn't look that bad and have to give it a go on the trail.....................Awww....#$%%*())........

Chain got jammed real proper between the cassette and hub. It wasn't coming out and the wheel is not spinning either without taking the chain and rear mech with it. Called Mrs to meet me at the gates and rescue my sorry walking butt.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
A combo of LTIH, Fuckwit and getting old.

New Schwalbe front and rear. Hans Dampf on the front, uni direction tyre so mounted and sealed up. Rocket Ron on the rear. Looked everywhere for a direction arrow, nope. Installed and sealed. Doing the wheel shake and noticed some writing above the “Schwalbe”. Tyre on backwards. I blame the poor lighting in my shed.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Trying to lace up a vintage rim today. Want to return the rim to its original hub. Got out he spoke calculator, checked measure and available spokes. All good. Seems the original spokes will work. Nope. Too short. Ok, have two other sets, slightly longer and a bit longer. By the look of the first spokes I needed the longest, don’t need to measure, they were probably the original spokes anyway. Nope. De-lace wheel twice today. Third time lucky?

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Sigh, due to a miscalcualtion on my part I now have no inner cable or outer gear cabling in my bike? Anyone have a hack for fitting outer gear cabling in an internally routed bike? I was thinking a long wire maybe and search for the holes? But didn't have access to any last night. Had a look last night but most of the stuff I saw they still had the inner cable in the bike....