Confessions from the fuckwits

Jpez

Down on the left!
It’s heaps easier just start off with a stripped (raw) frame. Then you don’t need to worry about any of this paint palaver or scratches.

In fact I fart in the general direction of painted bikes!

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It’s heaps easier just start off with a stripped (raw) frame. Then you don’t need to worry about any of this paint palaver or scratches.

In fact I fart in the general of painted bikes!
If you did decent farts, any bike you farted on would be stripper of paint. Up your x
Cabbage game.

tobbogonist

a registered member
Did it once with the 'Plow Style' method (here), wen't pretty OK, although the stripping did take a bit to get it all off.

The re-spraying was hit & miss. I think the weather wasn't with me or I was a bit over-zealous with each coat. Either way, it looked good but chipped easy. Didn't matter as the bike was retired anyway and I was just looking for something to do with my summer holidays.

Go for it.
Im waiting on parts from CRC so bike is out of action for a while anyway.

Began stripping the paint this afternoon. I kept away from here until I had started process, this way I cant change my mind.
No fuck ups so far.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Hi my name is Nathan and I can't install a dropper post.

2 hours, 3 attempts, 2 munted inner and outer cables and I just can't work out how to get the outer cable length measured right and the inner cable to tension. I also took the saddle clamp full off when I didn't need to, put the clamp back on the wrong way round, put the bolts in the wrong positions so I couldn't get the saddle to sit flat then also mounted the saddle on back the front.

Should've stopped when I dropped the cable clamp on the floor and lost it in the carpet (yes I have a carpeted garage) for 30 minutes.

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
Im waiting on parts from CRC so bike is out of action for a while anyway.

Began stripping the paint this afternoon. I kept away from here until I had started process, this way I cant change my mind.
No fuck ups so far.
That's the spirit; better to beg for forgiveness than ask permission, after all that's what this entire thread is about!

stirk

Burner
Hi my name is Nathan and I can't install a dropper post.

2 hours, 3 attempts, 2 munted inner and outer cables and I just can't work out how to get the outer cable length measured right and the inner cable to tension. I also took the saddle clamp full off when I didn't need to, put the clamp back on the wrong way round, put the bolts in the wrong positions so I couldn't get the saddle to sit flat then also mounted the saddle on back the front.

Should've stopped when I dropped the cable clamp on the floor and lost it in the carpet (yes I have a carpeted garage) for 30 minutes.
Assuming external routing you set outer length with the seat post in full extension and tape the cable to the frame where you'll end up fixing with clamps or ties. Take the outer to the posts lever and mark where it sits against the posts lever and cut there. The inner cable can be fed and loosely fixed before cutting and it does not really need much tension until you activate the lever at the handbag anyway, just nice and tight will do it then cut cable. You are a numpty.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Assuming external routing you set outer length with the seat post in full extension and tape the cable to the frame where you'll end up fixing with clamps or ties. Take the outer to the posts lever and mark where it sits against the posts lever and cut there. The inner cable can be fed and loosely fixed before cutting and it does not really need much tension until you activate the lever at the handbag anyway, just nice and tight will do it then cut cable. You are a numpty.
I am a numpty but no.

it has semi-internal routing, with the outer cable entering from under the down tube and into the seat tube. Upon review and a couple of Youtube videos, the issue is I was trying to fit it like post where the cable end joins to the dropper, but the X-Fusion Manic is in reverse so it has that fiddly locking nut that clamps the cut cable end to the lever of the dropper so you cant just cut the whole lot short to allow for insertion. sorry bad description I know.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I am a numpty but no.

it has semi-internal routing, with the outer cable entering from under the down tube and into the seat tube. Upon review and a couple of Youtube videos, the issue is I was trying to fit it like post where the cable end joins to the dropper, but the X-Fusion Manic is in reverse so it has that fiddly locking nut that clamps the cut cable end to the lever of the dropper so you cant just cut the whole lot short to allow for insertion. sorry bad description I know.
They are a bit fiddly. My tip is attach the lever to the bars so you have the position right to work out your outer cable length. Then take the lever off and attach the inner and outer. Slide the whole thing into the frame so you can have the dropper out of the seatpost to attach the cable. Then slide it back through to attach the lever again to the bars. I had to take the bars off the stem to fit the lever and then reattach the bars and there wasn't enough "slack" to get the lever over the bar end after the dropper was it place

nathanm

Eats Squid
They are a bit fiddly. My tip is attach the lever to the bars so you have the position right to work out your outer cable length. Then take the lever off and attach the inner and outer. Slide the whole thing into the frame so you can have the dropper out of the seatpost to attach the cable. Then slide it back through to attach the lever again to the bars. I had to take the bars off the stem to fit the lever and then reattach the bars and there wasn't enough "slack" to get the lever over the bar end after the dropper was it place
Cheers mate, I reckon thats what I'll try tonight. Dunno why Transx (this should say X-Fusion for anyone playing along at home, true fuckwit upon fuckit moment) have decided to do it the hard way though, what you get from a cheap post I suppose.

Last edited:

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Cheers mate, I reckon thats what I'll try tonight. Dunno why Transx have decided to do it the hard way though, what you get from a cheap post I suppose.
Are you fitting a Manic or Trans X? I was referring to a Manic where the non ferruled end attaches at the bottom of the post.

moorey

call me Mia
Cheers mate, I reckon thats what I'll try tonight. Dunno why Transx have decided to do it the hard way though, what you get from a cheap post I suppose.
Wait...it’s a TransX? Where is the cable clamping? Internal TransX/BrandX on numerous bikes here, and they are the same to set up as KS and others that clamp the little barrel nipple at the bottom of dropper. I’ll read back over your issue and see if I can throw any pearls of wisdom.