Confessions from the fuckwits

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Anyone go through the stage of pressure north of 50? Belting around on a old Kona cowan, anything less was pinch flat central and obviously higher pressures = leas rolling resistance so who cares if your bouncing off marble sized rocks. My shins hated me for all the slipped pedals I had.

Even now I run front 27F/30oddR. Tried lower and ripped front tyre off rims a few times and smashed rear rims. Still bonk the odd rear if I mess up (there was one section in derby, every bloody time resulted in a new ding and a burped rear tyre. @hifiandmtb to the trailside rescue with the oneup pump :D)
Fatty
Anyone go through the stage of pressure north of 50? Belting around on a old Kona cowan, anything less was pinch flat central and obviously higher pressures = leas rolling resistance so who cares if your bouncing off marble sized rocks. My shins hated me for all the slipped pedals I had.

Even now I run front 27F/30oddR. Tried lower and ripped front tyre off rims a few times and smashed rear rims. Still bonk the odd rear if I mess up (there was one section in derby, every bloody time resulted in a new ding and a burped rear tyre. @hifiandmtb to the trailside rescue with the oneup pump :D)
Wow. I run 19/25. But I'm just wee whisp of a thing.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Fatty
ah gee thanks man. It’s not fat its powah!

Wow. I run 19/25. But I'm just wee whisp of a thing.
I could just about bottom a tyre out on the rim by pushing down with 19psi in there.
How do you guys go pushing the front into corners with such low psi? No tyre roll? Flexy bikes give me the willies. Too much vagueness and squish

If I know I’m hitting berms all day and speed is up I’ll whack pressures up more, what I posted is for my local trails with mostly unsupported corners and lots of lower speed traversing.

DJ bike see’s 60psi, BMX 100psi.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I could just about bottom a tyre out on the rim by pushing down with 19psi in there.
How do you guys go pushing the front into corners with such low psi? No tyre roll? Flexy bikes give me the willies. Too much vagueness and squish

If I know I’m hitting berms all day and speed is up I’ll whack pressures up more, what I posted is for my local trails with mostly unsupported corners and lots of lower speed traversing.

Seriously man, it feels good. Now to be fair on the front I'm running a black diamond butcher on a 30mm rim. But over 22 psi it feels skatey. The rear I run 25 because the rim is carbon and I don't want to hit the rim. On the alloy I ran 23 with an aggressor.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

They don't...have you stopped to wonder why there are so many "inside" lines rather than railing the berm?

Scotty675

Cable thief
Just a small one. Bought a new SS cog for the dirt jumper but didn't have time to install so left it in the padded envelope, sitting on my desk. Went to install it today but couldn't find it?

Just realised I binned it thinking it was rubbish. Rubbish already been collected. F-wit.
I feel your pain. I've done this before with a shifter and lever. Bet you don't do it again. I now flat pack all my boxes into the bin.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I remember someone that was into road tyre pressures for MTB'ing then grumbled about the harsh ride and lack of traction.

At least it stopped pinch flats.
Friend who was new to MTB used the max pressures on his Minions as a guideline.

Absolute weapon on the bike - still somehow managed to ding the sidewall of his rims. Can’t imagine the carnage that impact would have caused at normal pressures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
Busy day, good ride, big shed cleanout, wife had a list of long overdue jobs to get done on the first dry weekend in a month....found 15 minutes to mount some used tyres on spare wheels to get the Spitty rolling again after stealing its wheels.
Wife won’t notice if I skive off in the shed for a sneaky bike job.
Fitted.
Inflated.
Patted self on back...the perfect crime.

Felix strolls past...‘DHF is on the rear wheel dad’

No one likes a know it all.

Takes me another 30 minutes to swap around and clean up the latex I’ve dripped everywhere trying to be sneaky.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I've also been running on the low side of pressures, I'm gonna up it u
How heavy are you for those pressures to cause understeer? At 80kg I race with 23F/26R on 2.5 tyres and apart from on super duper grip fast berms never feel squirm. I do run a DD rear casing though.
I'm 88kg, lightest I've been in many years. Been running 20F/24R, on 2.4F/2.3R based on the moar grip thinking. Gonna try 24/28 this week after reading here that I might be a fuckwit.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
1994, 1.9” panaracer Dart I ran at 50-55psi. God you pinged off everything with elastomer suspension and 50psi in the tyres.
38F/44R with tubes on my reissues, felt pretty good the other day. I never ever ran an off road tyre above 45, used to always run both at 45 BITD.

moorey

call me Mia
I've also been running on the low side of pressures, I'm gonna up it u

I'm 88kg, lightest I've been in many years. Been running 20F/24R, on 2.4F/2.3R based on the moar grip thinking. Gonna try 24/28 this week after reading here that I might be a fuckwit.
I’m about 80 kitted up. I only use EXO tasing mostly. I sit around 24/28 for general riding. I don’t ride as hard as most. Any less than that I’ll feel a little squirm in hard cornering (DHF/DHR2).
Some tyres just squirm more regardless IMHO (wild enduro/muddy mary)

Isildur

The Real Pedant
*Place holder.
I bought Cushcore. Waiting for the new tires from CRC to fit-up
You'll be right. I know it sounds obvious, but just be patient, watch and absorb the YouTube tutorials, and you'll be fine. \

The big trick is that when you firth think you've "got the bead pushed in", I can guarantee you that you totally don't ;) Sink that mofo in there on the first side, then really friggen sink both in when you go for the final bead stretch.

And then again when you end up having to change/replace the tyre.

If you're an old fart like me, and remember wire bead Minions on Mavic 823 or 729s, you'll just have to regress to that age - except for not being able to use a steel lever as rims these days are made of brie.