Confessions from the fuckwits

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Fuck I hate star nuts!!! I had a spare 30 minutes between sitting around being a useless lazy shit and rushing off to dinner. Hmmmm why not get the forks onto your covid build? You know...the one you have done about 45 minutes of work on over the whole lockdown you useless douche bag! Well no need for the name calling, but that does sound like a good idea and down to the garage I go.

Step 1 = cut steerer. I run a quick dry assemble, check the length, check+check+check+check+check+check+check (hey you only get one shot at this!), Cut, file, wash off any fragments. Holy shit that went very well and the cut is perfect.

Step 2 = star nut. Hammer, screw driver (the best punch in the world!), Longer screw driver, and bang bang bang bang. This is the best star nut install I have ever done. It is in and straight and fuck that was easy.

Step 3 = wet assemble. Out comes the grease (and Loctite!) and I am pretty generous with it. Slide it all together and in goes the bolt to connect with the star nut...but fuck me in the face!!! I have punched the star nut in about 5mm too far!

And then it begins. I decide to spend the next too many minutes punching the star nut out through the bottom of the steerer. What a fucking mission that was! It turned side ways. It rolled over. It jammed. I ran out of long enough things to punch it with. I eventually levered it from the bottom. Then of course I realise I could have just drilled it out in a jiffy. Fuck you star nut!!!!

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Fuck I hate star nuts!!! I had a spare 30 minutes between sitting around being a useless lazy shit and rushing off to dinner. Hmmmm why not get the forks onto your covid build? You know...the one you have done about 45 minutes of work on over the whole lockdown you useless douche bag! Well no need for the name calling, but that does sound like a good idea and down to the garage I go.

Step 1 = cut steerer. I run a quick dry assemble, check the length, check+check+check+check+check+check+check (hey you only get one shot at this!), Cut, file, wash off any fragments. Holy shit that went very well and the cut is perfect.

Step 2 = star nut. Hammer, screw driver (the best punch in the world!), Longer screw driver, and bang bang bang bang. This is the best star nut install I have ever done. It is in and straight and fuck that was easy.

Step 3 = wet assemble. Out comes the grease (and Loctite!) and I am pretty generous with it. Slide it all together and in goes the bolt to connect with the star nut...but fuck me in the face!!! I have punched the star nut in about 5mm too far!

And then it begins. I decide to spend the next too many minutes punching the star nut out through the bottom of the steerer. What a fucking mission that was! It turned side ways. It rolled over. It jammed. I ran out of long enough things to punch it with. I eventually levered it from the bottom. Then of course I realise I could have just drilled it out in a jiffy. Fuck you star nut!!!!

View attachment 381564
If you’re going to persist with star nuts, one of these is a worthwhile investment:
https://www.pushys.com.au/super-b-star-nut-setter.html

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't

View attachment 381564
Should have just cut 5mm off the steerer lol

Or why not a longer bolt?

Is this rubbing salt.....I'll stop now

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I have a lot of star nuts and associated bolts...all bolts were the same standard length. I really wanted to get it installed today and didn't think I would spend longer punching the piece of shit out the bottom than I did with every other step.

Broom handle you say? I might arrange a suitable diameter piece of dowel.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I have a lot of star nuts and associated bolts...all bolts were the same standard length. I really wanted to get it installed today and didn't think I would spend longer punching the piece of shit out the bottom than I did with every other step.

If you're keen I could print a nice pink star nut driver for you

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I read recently that ex Liberal Minister Bishop is selling off a few spare brooms she won't be using.

iconic

Likes Dirt
They seem to so far. I decided to change the leaking caliper pistons today too. That could have been a fuckwit moment if I wasn't wearing safety glasses.
Do you have a link to the replacement pistons for lever and caliper? I've got a couple that need replacing.. Cheers!

Sent from my RMX2001 using Tapatalk

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Do you have a link to the replacement pistons for lever and caliper? I've got a couple that need replacing.. Cheers!

Sent from my RMX2001 using Tapatalk

"Set" refers to the piston and seals. If you need two, be sure to select two. I've been caught out before with other eBay items!
You can also get just the seals.

moorey

call me Mia
Yes. But now I don't have to create yet another account that I inevitably forget the password for! The struggle is real o_O
I can’t stand eBay these days, personally. Aliexpress isn’t my go to, I’m skeptical of a lot of their stuff…but no more so than Ebay.