Confessions from the fuckwits

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Last week featured a lot of work (surprise)...but I wrapped up Friday night at 10pm and didn't need to work until 5pm Saturday. So I decided "yes I will join my friends at that party for a short period of time and a sensible drink or two." The party was an handover or opening of sorts to a pub. Some of my friends had a room so I stored the bike in their room, given my current fear of theft. I of course threw my intentions to be sensible out the window and got home about 10am. I got plenty of rest and work that night was actually a smooth event, even though I got called in a few hours early. I seem to have become the security blanket for a few people in times of panic.

But come Sunday night...I went out for dinner with friends (Korean bbq...it was ok, but I'm not rushing back). I went to transfer some $$$ to one of them to cover the bill (places that won't split the bill and don't take cash can just fuck right off) and discovered that sometime on Friday night I had transferred a reasonable chunk of cash to a random phone number. I search my contacts and call history...nope. my friends (whom I was with on Friday - Saturday) do the same for me...nope. now I did apparently spend some time out on the streets of Newcastle that night/morning and also at some random strangers' house. So I get a bit of a panic, did I get coerced into sending money? Why that amount? Why not more? Shit...shit...I've also done a bit of online shopping over the last year (fuck who hasn't?) so maybe my account has been hacked? Fuck fuck fuck!!!

Oh wait...that number is 1 digit short of a phone number...oh...wait a minute! That's the regular direct debit for my mortgage which comes out at the end of every month just like I set it up to do a few months ago.

That was 15 minutes of panic I didn't need to have!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Ha, oh dear! That must have a big night to have you that foggy the day after!
Suddenly things are becoming clear, to us at least ;)

discovered that sometime on Friday night I had transferred a reasonable chunk of cash to a random phone number. I search my contacts and call history...nope. my friends (whom I was with on Friday - Saturday) do the same for me...nope. now I did apparently spend some time out on the streets of Newcastle that night/morning and also at some random strangers' house. So I get a bit of a panic, did I get coerced into sending money? Why that amount? Why not more? Shit...shit...I've also done a bit of online shopping over the last year (fuck who hasn't?) so maybe my account has been hacked? Fuck fuck fuck!!! What !!! NOOOOooo.... Agggghhhhh me bike's gone too FFS :mad:

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Recently had some new wheels built on Novatec hubs. Rear hub is the D792SB. The rear wheel came in nearly 150 grams over weight.

Turns out the Australian distributor has recently (and quietly) altered the specification of the hub and it now comes with a cheaper and heavier steel axle and freehub...for the same price. Same distributor doesn't carry replacement axles and only spare steel freehubs.

After some shenanigans, I managed to source another axle and alloy freehub (Novatec ABG style) from Taiwan.

Tried to fit it all yesterday. Removed the steel components - basically only held in via endcaps so it's a doddle - checked I'd got everything out. I hadn't...

The new axle and freehub includes a non-drive side endcap, a seperate axle sleeve that slides under the inside end of the freehub and a rubber seal that sits in the hub shell and seals against the inner face of the freehub.

I neglected to check the old steel combination had all these parts removed from the hub. That rubber seal was still in the hub. And I had another one on the back of the new alloy freehub. Two seals where there should only be one.

It took me five attempts at assembly and disassembly onto the bike to figure this out. The first four attempts saw the freehub lock up tight enough to spin the cranks while freewheeling...

Each time I pulled it apart thinking I'd put too much grease into too small a space or not got the preload right or some other fuckup. Until I finally realised that there was something extra in there and that I'm still very much a hack bike mechanic.

As much as I'd like to blame poor lighting and old bespectacled eyes...I actually wasted an hour and some swear words on my lack of due diligence.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Just signed up for a elekchicken apprenticeship at the current (ahahaha sparky words) company.

3 years of night tafe. Gross!
Woohooo.

So now you can ignite the oxy/acetylene mix in the coke bottle off an extension lead and show the other apprentices how it’s done.

25 years ago a mates son did this at tafe. Blew out every window in the room.

At least we did it on an empty section of industrial estate road, would blow huge chunks out of bitumen.

ozzybmx

Just signed up for a elekchicken apprenticeship at the current (ahahaha sparky words) company.

3 years of night tafe. Gross!
Nice one ! Big commitment.

They are making it so much easier now, the kids can finish year 12 with a Level 2 in Electrotechnology.

#1 son is starting it when schools go back after the Chrissy break, 1 day a week at a training provider instead of school.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Woohooo.

So now you can ignite the oxy/acetylene mix in the coke bottle off an extension lead and show the other apprentices how it’s done.

At least we did it on an empty section of industrial estate road, would blow huge chunks out of bitumen.
An apprentice at my first real job filled a plastic sugar bag then made a wick from rope soaked in oil and lit it 'out the back' wind picked it up and sent it over the fence onto a farm. Finally stopped on a dam. When it went off it killed about 100 water birds.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981

They are making it so much easier now, the kids can finish year 12 with a Level 2 in Electrotechnology.

#1 son is starting it when schools go back after the Chrissy break, 1 day a week at a training provider instead of school.
That's a good thing! School's not for everyone. Just wish I'd picked a higher paying trade

ozzybmx

That's a good thing! School's not for everyone. Just wish I'd picked a higher paying trade
Sparky, Building and Plumbing courses available but they have to do their work experience with a tradesman in the same field... stops kids filling the spaces and possibly blocking out a kid that really wanted to do it.

The classes they omit to fit the day release in is only history/geography related.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Woohooo.

I do love me some explosions.

I’ve got a restricted licence to work on motors (basically anything between the panel and the motor), but the amount of work I do already, it won’t be too bad. We’ve got some pretty solid sparkies here, the collective knowledge I’m surrounded by is awesome.

Not looking forward to programming, my time spent in tool rooms programming CNC machines was pretty tedious and drove my slightly insane aha. Some of our control panels are gonna be a punish but eh, I’ll deal.

Bonus is they aren’t dropping my wage, hit em with the “if you pay me apprentice wage you get apprentice work”……. “Ok Ultra Lord you’ll stay the same” ahaha.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
I do love me some explosions.

I’ve got a restricted licence to work on motors (basically anything between the panel and the motor), but the amount of work I do already, it won’t be too bad. We’ve got some pretty solid sparkies here, the collective knowledge I’m surrounded by is awesome.

Not looking forward to programming, my time spent in tool rooms programming CNC machines was pretty tedious and drove my slightly insane aha. Some of our control panels are gonna be a punish but eh, I’ll deal.

Bonus is they aren’t dropping my wage, hit em with the “if you pay me apprentice wage you get apprentice work”……. “Ok Ultra Lord you’ll stay the same” ahaha.
I don't recall doing much programming as part of the trade course, from memory I had to enrol in a separate Cert III to cover that. Although my memory is pretty hazy from that time and I'm sure they've changed the syllabus to keep trend with the industry.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I don't recall doing much programming as part of the trade course, from memory I had to enrol in a separate Cert III to cover that. Although my memory is pretty hazy from that time and I'm sure they've changed the syllabus to keep trend with the industry.
VFD programming?

Parameter B0 vs b0 vs bo

There is a course to be had there alone

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
VFD programming?

Parameter B0 vs b0 vs bo

There is a course to be had there alone
I think that we touched on star/delta starters during the trade course and only briefly studied PID loops and the like in the diploma course but VFDs were only just starting to become common place back then, all my knowledge on VFDs came from working a side job with a local contractor who was the distributor for Control Techniques drives back then. The majority of the course material was all PLC logic and basic HMI programming.