Confessions from the fuckwits

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Ha - trust me to pick the first day to go to Youies in ages is this weekend when there's a race on. What tracks are being raced? (can't hambo much info online)

moorey

call me Mia
Maybe your tyres are telling you something, 27.5 just why
Because, try to keep rocking 26 while regularly racing (not just buying to look at or flip), and you’ll fall flat. It’s bad enough loading up all the spares and heading off to events when we’re all running 27.5.
Try buying good race capable (non DH) 26” tyres.
Said it 1m times, a short gronk like me can’t feel the 26-27.5 gains, it’s not about that. Most of my best times on local trails are on an old 26”. My only state level enduro podium was on a 26”
Soon enough, 27.5 will head the same way as manufacturers stop producing higher end stuff.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Soon enough, 27.5 will head the same way as manufacturers stop producing higher end stuff.
I think there will always be a place for 650b. Mulleting isn't going anywhere as long as the pros have free reign to choose it (and prove they're faster doing so). 650b specific forks may start drying up but 29er forks should be cool as an alternative?

safreek

Because, try to keep rocking 26 while regularly racing (not just buying to look at or flip), and you’ll fall flat. It’s bad enough loading up all the spares and heading off to events when we’re all running 27.5.
Try buying good race capable (non DH) 26” tyres.
Said it 1m times, a short gronk like me can’t feel the 26-27.5 gains, it’s not about that. Most of my best times on local trails are on an old 26”. My only state level enduro podium was on a 26”
Yeah, I get ya. I never race or raced so no idea. To me it's about a quick tootle through the forest.

moorey

call me Mia
I think there will always be a place for 650b. Mulleting isn't going anywhere as long as the pros have free reign to choose it (and prove they're faster doing so). 650b specific forks may start drying up but 29er forks should be cool as an alternative?
Buying a higher end 27.5 frame is harder these days if you stick with the big brands. Hopefully options are still on the table in coming years, but I hoped that for 26 as well.
29” forks on a 27.5 aren’t ideal. Much longer A2C. It’s a lot bigger jump than running 27.5 forks on 26, which I do on most bikes.
Unmulleting a bike isn’t that easy. Explored it when I was keen on a new Patrol.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I ran 26:24 mullets for a long time. Having to stock 2 different sized tyres gets annoying after a few oh that isn't the right size fuck ups. Otherwise modern mullets look nice.

moorey

call me Mia
I ran 26:24 mullets for a long time. Having to stock 2 different sized tyres gets annoying after a few oh that isn't the right size fuck ups. Otherwise modern mullets look nice.
I’ve played with 26/27.5 mullet and felt no improvement that warranted bothering to persist. If I could find some 26 inch wild enduro rear, I have another crack racing this set up, but good rear tyres are the issue….in addition to having to carry additional spares.

PJO

in me vL comy
This thread has been quiet lately.

Anyway, this is on the workhorse commuter which doesn't get a lot of love for the amount of kms it does. Riding in to work Tuesday and noticed that the shifting was a bit slack, so I just tighten up the barrel adjuster and keep going. On the way home the rear brake starts making a terrible racket, hmmm maybe the pads gone it has been a while.
Put the bike in the stand on my work from home day (it was a lunch break I swear), one of the rear brake pads is worn down to metal and I found the cause of the dodgy shifting:

Hanging on by a couple of strands!!!