Confessions from the fuckwits

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Slowly putting the new bike together today. I have everything I need. Even the fitting kit to convert my Hope E4 rear brake caliper hose fitting from banjo to inline fitting. Everything.

...except the two 3mm crank spacers needed for the Shimano "boost" M8120 cranks. I've been through my boxes of bike spares 3 times each, through my toolbox and "throw into car" bike kit twice each, but it seems I must've lost them when moving.

Replacements ordered, but looks like it won't be getting a shakedown ride this weekend. :rolleyes:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Slowly putting the new bike together today. I have everything I need. Even the fitting kit to convert my Hope E4 rear brake caliper hose fitting from banjo to inline fitting. Everything.

...except the two 3mm crank spacers needed for the Shimano "boost" M8120 cranks. I've been through my boxes of bike spares 3 times each, through my toolbox and "throw into car" bike kit twice each, but it seems I must've lost them when moving.

Replacements ordered, but looks like it won't be getting a shakedown ride this weekend. :rolleyes:
Pussy, just ride it and you can pretend you have correctly fitted E13 cranks. :p

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I've made temporary shims up out of thin plastic sheet, reckon there was 6 or 8 on each side.

Draw the shape and cut with a Stanley knife. Do we Aussies call it a Stanley or box cutter?

Be careful or a cut hand will mean another visit to this thread.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I've made temporary shims up out of thin plastic sheet, reckon there was 6 or 8 on each side.

Draw the shape and cut with a Stanley knife. Do we Aussies call it a Stanley or box cutter?

I already squashed my left index finger with a battery and got a blood blister under the nail yesterday, I'm not tempting fate with a Stanley knife. It's annoying, but I'd rather put the right bits in as they've got the extra sealing lip inside them.

Ended up I ordered a new set of cranks (with spacers), so in time I'll look at getting a spare set of spacers machined up and maybe throw this set of the gravel-Highball (I like the wider Q-factor of the boost cranks) - or I'll just keep them for spare crank arms for when this set inevitably get bashed up.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea

the Muricans say box cutter.
I think Aussies have always called it a Stanley knife. Good thing his name wasn't Henry Wanker.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Cleaning up the old V10 and found a big ding in the rear wheel. Pulled out the shifter and bent it nicely back into round.

Was surprised at how easily it straightened then remembered how bad MTX rims were.

On closer inspection yep, I'd cracked the rim.
Not surprised to be honest.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
box cutters are the long segmented ones that snap off.
Are you sure you don't mean a craft knife or a retractable utility knife @wesdadude ? Both of which fit your description. The last time I was issued a box cutter for work it was an enclosed system (not too dissimilar to a miniature "Stanley knife") with an automatically retracting blade. Apparently someone had been incorrectly using a knife similar to your description in one of the other bottle shops ran by Coles and cut their thigh severely enough to almost die, so we were all to be issued whs official box cutters. Personally I would have opted for teaching people how to use the knife correctly and going less idiots because I am pretty sure people could still fuck themselves up with these new tools. I currently use a pastry knife.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Are you sure you don't mean a craft knife or a retractable utility knife @wesdadude ? Both of which fit your description. The last time I was issued a box cutter for work it was an enclosed system (not too dissimilar to a miniature "Stanley knife") with an automatically retracting blade. Apparently someone had been incorrectly using a knife similar to your description in one of the other bottle shops ran by Coles and cut their thigh severely enough to almost die, so we were all to be issued whs official box cutters. Personally I would have opted for teaching people how to use the knife correctly and going less idiots because I am pretty sure people could still fuck themselves up with these new tools. I currently use a pastry knife.
I think most utility knives can be described as a "Stanley knife". Kind of like how Brits call a vacuum cleaner a "Hoover". Or sticky plasters "Band-Aids". It's a brand that has become synonymous with a particular thing so it's the easiest way to describe it.

Anyone dumb enough to try to cut something within proximity to the femoral artery should not be allowed anywhere near sharp things. Retractable or not. Training might help. Though maybe not for the determined Darwin Award contenders.

Flow-Rider

Burner
It's like truck packing timber, depending on which part of Australia you're working in it's called something else. Most people in Brisbane call it packing timber, go to north Queensland and they call it dunnage, and go to WA they call it timber gluts.