Confessions from the fuckwits

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Obviously farkinburn being a MTB forum means we all like to ride MTBs, but some of us like to ride other types of bikes too.

I just like riding bikes. I have owned many different bikes, and what I want out of them has changed over the years, and will probably change again.

Ride bikes, be happy.

Jabubu

let you google that for me
Obviously farkinburn being a MTB forum means we all like to ride MTBs, but some of us like to ride other types of bikes too.

I just like riding bikes. I have owned many different bikes, and what I want out of them has changed over the years, and will probably change again.

Ride bikes, be happy.
That doesn't sound like a confession of a fuckwit.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
That doesn't sound like a confession of a fuckwit.
Perhaps not, but for a forum largely composed of open minded people, some can get extremely judgemental on what bikes other people ride.
Even some of the dyed in the wool NIMBYs here ride Boost, and wheels bigger than 26ers.
Time, Technology & weird BS standards march on inexorably, and our aging bodies, forcing us to change and adapt, whether we want to or not.
The demographic of regular Rotorburners is middle aged dude, by and large (and larger), so it is kind of inevitable that there will be gravel bikes, Zwift, hints of road, and e-bike posts.
As @dirtdad says
my non-mtb riding ups the fitness so I can do more mtb riding.
Some have the benefit of living near great trails, but for those who have to load the car up to drive an hour or more to ride decent trails and need to build or maintain fitness and strength, it makes sense to ride other bikes or do Zwift in the meantime.

As @Labcanary says
Ride bikes, be happy.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Perhaps not, but for a forum largely composed of open minded people, some can get extremely judgemental on what bikes other people ride.
Even some of the dyed in the wool NIMBYs here ride Boost, and wheels bigger than 26ers.
Time, Technology & weird BS standards march on inexorably, and our aging bodies, forcing us to change and adapt, whether we want to or not.
The demographic of regular Rotorburners is middle aged dude, by and large (and larger), so it is kind of inevitable that there will be gravel bikes, Zwift, hints of road, and e-bike posts.
As @dirtdad says

Some have the benefit of living near great trails, but for those who have to load the car up to drive an hour or more to ride decent trails and need to build or maintain fitness and strength, it makes sense to ride other bikes or do Zwift in the meantime.

As @Labcanary says
While I agree with what you're saying, I think Hambo was just referring to the thread title and saying @Labcanary made a lot of sense. ;)

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
While I agree with what you're saying, I think Hambo was just referring to the thread title and saying @Labcanary made a lot of sense. ;)
I completely agree. Sometimes an off the cuff post/comment is also a good opportunity to add one's voice to others who are saying that whatever bike you like to ride is fine, even though some act as if this is a Local forum for Local people :p

Jabubu

I completely agree. Sometimes an off the cuff post/comment is also a good opportunity to add one's voice to others who are saying that whatever bike you like to ride is fine, even though some act as if this is a Local forum for Local people :p

You just went up in my estimation :)

Jabubu

So I think I made a huge mistake choosing to go for faster rolling wheels over more grip and sturdiness.

Original wheels: Nukeproof Horizon v2 + Maxxis DHR II (F - 2.4 MaxTerra Exo) + (R - 2.4 MaxTerra Exo+)
Existing wheels: Hunt Trail Wide v2 + Bontrager XR4 Team F+R

I thought I'd be happy with a more trail oriented setup but I'm starting to hit more black trails and progressing on my turns and all of a sudden the tyres feel inadequate.

The wheels actually feel good but the tyres not so much.

Fortunately I acquired a nearly new WTB Vigilante 2.5 Light / High Grip and a Trail Boss 2.4 Tough / Fast Rolling tyres. I can't mount them yet because I just ran out of sealant..

So yeah I'm a fuckwit for being a weight weenie and compromising my ride.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
I reckon you're on a good path with the wheels, but I've found the XR4 to be a bit squirmy compared to bigger tread. Make a great rear, with something chunky up front. My fav combo is alays chunky front, loose rear.

Currently that equates to a Assegai 29x2.5WT up front, with a Pirelli Scorpion Enduro R out back. Although that's almost dead, sidewalls leaking from too much wear after about 800km, so will be moving to a relatively chunkier Dissector - about the heaviest tread I'll go out back.

Jabubu

I reckon you're on a good path with the wheels, but I've found the XR4 to be a bit squirmy compared to bigger tread. Make a great rear, with something chunky up front. My fav combo is always chunky front, loose rear.

Currently that equates to a Assegai 29x2.5WT up front, with a Pirelli Scorpion Enduro R out back. Although that's almost dead, sidewalls leaking from too much wear after about 800km, so will be moving to a relatively chunkier Dissector - about the heaviest tread I'll go out back.
I think I'll try and sell the XR4 tyres, I have a Rekon and Rekon Race here for the Great Australian Cycle Challenge in October.

When the WTB wear out, I reckon I want to try an Assegai up front and DHR II out back.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
I think I'll try and sell the XR4 tyres, I have a Rekon and Rekon Race here for the Great Australian Cycle Challenge in October.

When the WTB wear out, I reckon I want to try an Assegai up front and DHR II out back.
You shouldn't have any trouble selling the XR4, they're an OK tyre overall. That Assegai/DHRII is a very good combo with tonnes of grip and support on offer. My other half runs that combo, she's not so worried about pedalling performance on the ups, just cares about grip on the way down.