Confessions from the fuckwits

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Yeah, that happened to me once at Apollo Bay. I was having a nice cruise down Classic, and all of a sudden I'm face down in the dirt with no idea how I got there.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
So I stacked it the other day - broken wrist with plate just put in and 3 mildly cracked vertebrae. And I can't work out why it happened!

Was heading down the switchbacks just near the caravan park at Bruce Ridge, camera had me going along fine, then going over the handlebars into the ground and then a tree. And I've got no idea why!

Anyone else come off and just gone wtf?
I normally find it's a pedal strike when you have no idea why.

slowmick

38-39"
I'll second pedal strike as an excellent method of making your way to the ground in the least possible time. i am an almost an expert at the pedal strike, head stand to dirt nap combo. :becky:

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Has happened to me too. Only thing I could figure was a rock on the otherwise smooth single trail kicked the front wheel off line enough to turf me off. Fortunately in that instance I wasn't injured, just shocked.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Confessions from the fuck wits

As a ten year old I did this, blacked out on a 44 degree day, woke on the road with no skin on one cheek and nfi at the time what happened.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Loosing or washing out the front wheel can put you into the "I don't know how I got into this predicament" quite easy. It just happens so fast at speed, before you know it you are bouncing off the ground or trees.

nakedape

Likes Dirt
Did the same on a piece of track I've ridden hundreds of times - one second I'm upright and happy, the next I'm cuddling a rock garden.

Sent from two tin cans joined by string

NeoNasty

Likes Dirt
Yes. I can back the massive pedal strike = face down.

I hit a large rock that was hidden in some grass and ended up on my face before I had a chance to react.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
So I stacked it the other day - broken wrist with plate just put in and 3 mildly cracked vertebrae. And I can't work out why it happened!

Was heading down the switchbacks just near the caravan park at Bruce Ridge, camera had me going along fine, then going over the handlebars into the ground and then a tree. And I've got no idea why!

Anyone else come off and just gone wtf?
On account of my panty butter smooth style I feel like this pretty much all the time. My favourite was a small rock that popped out from under the front tyre at speed in an off camber rocky corner. I rolled the rocks into the bushes and sticks. It was pretty rough and left me dazed and winded. I headed home via the nearby shopping strip to refresh with a ginger beer. I noticed a few people looking at me funnier than usual. This prompted a quick inspection and I discovered my shirt covered in blood and dirt. I followed the blood trail to my ear...I had my first piercing! A thin stick through my ear. Pulling the stick out hurt quite a lot.

But nothing compared to broken wrist and cracked vertebrae! Sounds like a hectic combo and a close call. Good luck with the recovery.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
I was at some djs with friends who finally managed to convince me I could hit this sketchy gap.
I decided to go for it when everyone else was off looking at pebbles or something so as not to get stage fright. I remember getting on the bike and putting a crank in, doing the pumps, hitting the lip........then sitting up seeing 2 strangers looking at me with the biggest headache I've ever had in my life.
Since no one was watching, what we figured happened was I went too fast and landed too far down the lander. Some idiot had left a pile of dirt too close to the lander and I hit the edge of it which bounced me off into the side of another jump. At that point I just OTB'd and smacked my head pretty hard.
I think, the memory I have plays 100% the way other people say things happened and in 3rd person. I wear a mouth guard frequently after a different stack caused me to chip teeth, was pretty glad I had it that day. I've read you can get bad jaw injuries when you hit your head, something about involuntarily clamping your mouth shut ? My fuckwittery was not seeing a Dr right away, waited a day and a half.....

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I was at some djs with friends who finally managed to convince me I could hit this sketchy gap.
I decided to go for it when everyone else was off looking at pebbles or something so as not to get stage fright. I remember getting on the bike and putting a crank in, doing the pumps, hitting the lip........then sitting up seeing 2 strangers looking at me with the biggest headache I've ever had in my life.
Since no one was watching, what we figured happened was I went too fast and landed too far down the lander. Some idiot had left a pile of dirt too close to the lander and I hit the edge of it which bounced me off into the side of another jump. At that point I just OTB'd and smacked my head pretty hard.
I think, the memory I have plays 100% the way other people say things happened and in 3rd person. I wear a mouth guard frequently after a different stack caused me to chip teeth, was pretty glad I had it that day. I've read you can get bad jaw injuries when you hit your head, something about involuntarily clamping your mouth shut ? My fuckwittery was not seeing a Dr right away, waited a day and a half.....
"just walk it off..."

ollieo

Likes Dirt
50% rule

The innate ability to get everything that has a 50% chance of incorrect fitting around the wrong way by NOT PAYING ATTENTION.
Tyre direction . Rotor direction . undoing pedals .. and that annoying bit of metal between post and seat ...
there must be more ......

Flow-Rider

Burner
Hmm pedal strike might be the thing! I thought it might have been a wheel washout too.

Here's the video too, be warned as my moaning at the end is a little off putting, lol.

https://youtu.be/K-f-UD_jF-g
Doesn't look like you had a pedal strike, the trail looks clear and not really dusty or fast enough for a washout. Not trying to be stupid but are you sure you're not having a minor epileptic seizure.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I can't see what you hit unless your bottom bracket is really low and when you cornered the pedal touched the trail. My back is a bit more screwed than others, it jars my back normally when I pedal strike.
There is a rock on the left just before the fall, it's not big but it doesn't have to be when you get your timing right. Bit of left lean, pedal at bottom dead center and bingo.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I can't see what you hit unless your bottom bracket is really low and when you cornered the pedal touched the trail. My back is a bit more screwed than others, it jars my back normally when I pedal strike.
Or that small bush. Rider is tight on the inside line going into the turn. Sudden tyre deflation perhaps? Rolled sidewall? Loose surface? Hand of God? Microsleep?

BorisBC

Likes Bikes
There is a rock on the left just before the fall, it's not big but it doesn't have to be when you get your timing right. Bit of left lean, pedal at bottom dead center and bingo.
Yeah that's what I was thinking too. Wasn't a mechanical. The bike is fine. No dropped tubes or nothing.