Confessions from the fuckwits

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
The Dunning-Kruger Effect would suggest otherwise.
Had to Google that one Spike; Wikipedia makes for a good laugh and I nominate McArthur Wheeler as FW of the week...

"The phenomenon was first experimentally observed in a series of experiments by David Dunning and Justin Kruger of the department of psychology at Cornell University in 1999.[1][2] The study was inspired by the case of McArthur Wheeler, a man who robbed two banks after covering his face with lemon juice in the mistaken belief that, because lemon juice is usable as invisible ink, it would prevent his face from being recorded on surveillance cameras." [Wikipedia]
What sort of first name is 'McArthur' anyway?

Edit: Woohoo - reply number 3000! Do I get a prize Moorey?

Last edited:

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Building a guitar neck the other day.
Width of neck at 24th fret is 57.2mm

Get out the digital callipers, measure it, yep 57.2.

Mark it up in pencil, check measurement, 57.2

Double check. Yep.

Trim it on the bandsaw, get the wooden ruler than hangs on the bandsaw, check... 54mm. WTF?

I didn't zero my digital callipers to start with did I? F*ckwit.
Wasted a beautiful piece of quartersawn Canadian rock maple and an ebony fretboard and about 12 hours work.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Building a guitar neck the other day.
Width of neck at 24th fret is 57.2mm

Get out the digital callipers, measure it, yep 57.2.

Mark it up in pencil, check measurement, 57.2

Double check. Yep.

Trim it on the bandsaw, get the wooden ruler than hangs on the bandsaw, check... 54mm. WTF?

I didn't zero my digital callipers to start with did I? F*ckwit.
Wasted a beautiful piece of quartersawn Canadian rock maple and an ebony fretboard and about 12 hours work.
* sobs *

cammas

Seamstress
You think I would have learnt by now working on the timber deck and handling small objects, looking at my hub getting ready to convert the axle tube over there is a small spacer located between the bearing and the freewheel body that is normally a shit to get out. This time it slide straight off onto the deck and straight between the timbers right in the middle of the deck so no access that far under, so out with some screwdrivers and up with one of the timbers about 10 minutes to get it up to get it out and some markings on the timbers. Next time, as my daughter who came to help this time as well as last time when my seat post was stuck said was obvious, do it over the table. :embarassed:

wavike

Likes Dirt
N+1 recently, plus HT 3" tires. It fits OK on my Thule 591 roof carrier, but being a Splesh and under down tube cables the Thule tends to crush them a bit. Daughter then acquired a racing wheelchair. :smile: I'll order another carrier on the pretext of being able to transport the chair. Yakima high roller (fits 3" tires) ordered. It arrived and then I found the fitting system for 'aero' bars is a pain and butt ugly, and can't really to it fit in the spot on the bars anyway. $49 ebay carrier ordered that will do the job better. Look out for a cheap unused Yakima Highrolller coming soon to the forsale thread.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I finally made it to the thread!

So I've been getting some clicking and ticking from the drive line the last couple of rides and figured it was something to do with the new oval ring not liking the sunrace extended cassette. I've had a couple of changing strikes so I figured I'd just ditch it for trusty old round one.

Bike goes on stand, out comes the torx driver, find there's about 3mm of slop on the chairing bolts that I clearly never tightened :-S

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Parts arrived, noted the following:

New helmet is only 1 year newer than current one that's 3 yrs old. I turf them after 3 years if they survive that far.

Forgot to buy cleats and doubled up on an experimental tyre by mistake.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Pumped up rear shock and the valve came off with the pump... Screwed back in the valve and went to pump it back up. Couldn't understand why it wouldn't go about 120psi and then deflate... 15 mins of trying I then see a tiny rubber o-ring on the floor. Take out valve again, put back on the o-ring and finally, it inflates. Felt pretty stupid.

Olie1584

Likes Dirt
Sticky piston on my juicy 3's.

"I can fix that"

3 hours later I rode my commuter to work like this:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1477129370.856430.jpg

Should have just left it alone... piston is now stuck in the fully closed position and will not retract.

Olie1584

Likes Dirt
Screwdriver. Brake cleaner, lube and pumping the brakes trying to get that fucker to move.

It moved out too far and air got in.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Fuck that. Too much time spent so far on these crappy brakes.
Far be it from me to convince you to try and keep them. I've been getting sram off my friends' bikes for ages now. Put shimano on. Join the low maintenance revolution. Have happy days of reliable braking. Shave down a bleed block just because. Life is simple.