Confessions from the fuckwits

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Damn I have been eyeing these of for awhile , most reviews I've read have been good - I just put a big ding in my stocko giant rim and was getting closer to pulling the trigger , I'm only a lightweight but still not so sure now , maybe I should uppercut and keep saving - cheers for the heads up
Have a look at the No Tubes Flow S1.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have a look at the No Tubes Flow S1.
Actually, on 2nd thoughts, maybe don’t! The Stans S1 rims are 6061 alloy whereas the Mk3 rims are 6069 alloy. From the information i can find, 6061 is dofter and heavier. Not sure what the Horizon rims are made from... playdoh perhaps! IMO, I don’t think I’m hard on my gear; but I can’t believe hoe out of shape the reaf rim is after 2 weeks riding. After the initial damage I upped the pressure a bit and haven’t had further rim strikes bug it hasn’t stopped the rim becoming square shaped!

camo71

Likes Dirt
Actually, on 2nd thoughts, maybe don’t! The Stans S1 rims are 6061 alloy whereas the Mk3 rims are 6069 alloy. From the information i can find, 6061 is dofter and heavier. Not sure what the Horizon rims are made from... playdoh perhaps! IMO, I don’t think I’m hard on my gear; but I can’t believe hoe out of shape the reaf rim is after 2 weeks riding. After the initial damage I upped the pressure a bit and haven’t had further rim strikes bug it hasn’t stopped the rim becoming square shaped!
Yeh I’m pretty good to my gear - don’t do massive drops or weigh that much but landed bad and put a nice inward dent and popped my tyre last outing so something that can handle a bit of punishment from my slack riding style would be better in the long run ... I was looking at a few of Stan’s prior but the horizon was appealing to my low budget - think I’ll go better and wait for good quality 2nd hand then low quality cheaper new , cheers

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeh I’m pretty good to my gear - don’t do massive drops or weigh that much but landed bad and put a nice inward dent and popped my tyre last outing so something that can handle a bit of punishment from my slack riding style would be better in the long run ... I was looking at a few of Stan’s prior but the horizon was appealing to my low budget - think I’ll go better and wait for good quality 2nd hand then low quality cheaper new , cheers
Stans Arch or Flow are pretty tough as are Spank Oozy. No doubt there are heaps of others that will take some abuse. I don’t normally bag a product; especially if it’s due to misadventure but the Horizon rims are seriously shit!

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I've slowly been buying up bikes and parts as people move onto boost, super boost whatever. I've pretty much got every segment I care about stitched up, except a newer 29er xc/marathon bike.

I've been looking at a few but my needs/wants thinned out the options. I wanted carbon, 2x fd, 100-120mm travel of efficient travel (fsr/four bar was out then), and less than 2.8kg frame.

I'd been looking at a few bikes but after I had a bit of a spaz on the 2019 Yeti thread and vented my spleen about Yeti's bullshit marketing, I decided to put my money where my mouth is and buy a Turner Czar... until I went to check out. They wanted to charge me $788 USD to ship with UPS. Which would have bought the frame only close to $4k landed. Even using comgateway shipping was still going to cost $580 USD.

So I went and bought a NOS 2017 Orbea Occam Tr and a Fox 32 Talas 29er from the Pros Closet for $2000 landed instead.

I feel like a fuckwit, but I just couldn't let UPS fuck me in the ass like that. Sorry Dave.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Oddjob

One of these?

Looks oright...
Thats the one, colour scheme and all.

I'm going for a weight weenie build. Full 2x10 XTR, 22mm id asymmetrical carbon rims on 28h I9 Torch hubs and Cx-ray spokes, Fox32 Talas 29er, I might even go non-dropper carbon seatpost.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thats the one, colour scheme and all.

I'm going for a weight weenie build. Full 2x10 XTR, 22mm id asymmetrical carbon rims on 28h I9 Torch hubs and Cx-ray spokes, Fox32 Talas 29er, I might even go non-dropper carbon seatpost.

Off orbea's site? Or private sale. Looks like an awesome deal

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Seat tube looks slack for a short travel bike, XL? that'll but you well behind the BB no dropper.

But nice colour scheme, that turquoise looks good on black.

Oddjob

Off orbea's site? Or private sale. Looks like an awesome deal
Nope frame and fork only from Pros Closet.

Seat tube looks slack for a short travel bike, XL? that'll but you well behind the BB no dropper.

But nice colour scheme, that turquoise looks good on black.
Yeah XL, its meant to be a trail bike but don't let the geo fool you. Apparently the rear end is as stiff as fuck. Should be suitably quick and painful for marathon racing. I might suck up the weight of a dropper. Maybe.

Last edited:

D01

Likes Dirt
They wanted to charge me $788 USD to ship with UPS
That sucks. I seem to remember USPS changed their maximum parcel size for WHS reasons, bike frames are now too big. USPS was about $120.

I wonder if you could get the rear triangle taken off and either squeezed into a smaller parcel or sent separately?

Oddjob

That sucks. I seem to remember USPS changed their maximum parcel size for WHS reasons, bike frames are now too big. USPS was about $120.

I wonder if you could get the rear triangle taken off and either squeezed into a smaller parcel or sent separately?
No idea, but the Pros Closet via Ebays freight forwarding just made the Orbea a deal too good to refuse.

Oddjob

Buys a bike with flex stays to simulate the pivot of an FSR/Fourbar suspension package.
It is literally exactly what Specialized did with their latest Epic and what about every winning XC bike does these days; they even have the same silhouette!
View attachment 347218
Except it's not a Specialized so I won't be a douche. Is that Stumpy if yours still the only bike you have running?

Oddjob

What are you more worried about having picked up a Single Pivot Link Driven with Flex Stays? That it'll be

Or that

Neither http://linkagedesign.blogspot.com/2015/08/orbea-occam-tr-29-2016.html

To quote:

"Angel said ...
It's very pretty but it seems too "familiar" ...... this new design does not look too much like the specialized ones ??

AUGUST 6, 2015, 7:01 PM
Antonio Osuna said ...
Seen from afar it looks a little bit like that, but when you start to notice the details they are very different ... The Orbea is much more efficient, it uses a standardized shock absorber with normal anchors, it does not use a Horst Link, etc ... "

Ps advertisers are douches too, even the fictional ones.

Last edited:

Oddjob

Another website I didn't know existed, but now kinda wished I didn't .
For god's sake don't look at their ebay store then, it has even more reasonably priced delights then displayed on their website.