Confessions from the fuckwits

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I spent most of the last week rebuilding the front end of my old ute. Shocks, bushings & ball joints were all pretty buggered.
I've done this sort of work before, so I thought no worries I'll do it myself - estimated 2 days work.

I won't go into every drama I encountered (there were many) but as background to the main confession picture this:
It's late at night. I've nearly finished the whole job. I'm tired. It's been a mega battle that has lasted days...but I'm close to finished.

So, drivers side suspension & steering is all back together, lower ute onto second set of stands to mimic normal ride height. Grab torque wrench for final tighten. Turn hub to get better access. Observe strange change in geometry & large dead spot before tie rod moves ???
What the fuck?!

Check everything & find DS lower control arm is definitely not sitting right. Grab LCA & push/pull. FARRK.
New bushing installed without crush tube!!!!!

Attempt partial disassembly (trying to cheat my way out of mammoth fuck-up).....but end up with COMPLETE disassembly of otherwise finished side, to get crush tube into bushing & back into the chassis.
Mentioned the word fuckwit under my breath about 400 times.

Chrome-plated, polyurethane-bushed, grease-covered-FUCKWIT.

(All good now, test drive this morning was excellent :rolleyes::))

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Replaced cruchy linkage bearings in the Pole. Also rebuilt wheels after stripping drive ring in the rear hub. Dt ex471 29ers on Project 321 front and I9 Torch rear, Sapim race spokes and polyax btass nipples.

Took it to Hornsby for a shakedown. This was preceded by a string of late nights to get bike ready, being woken up at 4.30 am by the boy, and skipping lunch to have a power nap. 5 mins in I have a slow speed crash on a rock chute and scrape up the new wheels and pop a spoke which also puncturdd the rim tape. Also forgot to wear pads in my dazed rush so got scraped up as well. I want to punch myself in the head and just give up on life for a week.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Jeebus. Rough luck mate, hopefully not too drastic a fix for the wheel (or your skin!).

Oddjob

Jeebus. Rough luck mate, hopefully not too drastic a fix for the wheel (or your skin!).
Thanks. No, just one popped spoke and a bunch of scrapes on me, the new rim and the maxle levers. Rest of the bike was unscathed. Pity about my ego... sob.

The Rimpact inserts were a revelation. I was able to ride the flat front tyre back to the train station and then home. Tyre seemd fine and the bead remain seated to rim.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Replaced cruchy linkage bearings in the Pole. Also rebuilt wheels after stripping drive ring in the rear hub. Dt ex471 29ers on Project 321 front and I9 Torch rear, Sapim race spokes and polyax btass nipples.

Took it to Hornsby for a shakedown. This was preceded by a string of late nights to get bike ready, being woken up at 4.30 am by the boy, and skipping lunch to have a power nap. 5 mins in I have a slow speed crash on a rock chute and scrape up the new wheels and pop a spoke which also puncturdd the rim tape. Also forgot to wear pads in my dazed rush so got scraped up as well. I want to punch myself in the head and just give up on life for a week.

I hit a small sapling stump yesterday at 42ks and blew all the air out of the front wheel and pinch flatted the rear at the same time, my front spank spike race33 looks like part of a 50 cent when you spin the wheel.

Later looked online for a replacement rim and the only one I was able to find in the same colour and rim size was in the US for a fortune so cut my losses and ordered it only to find one at bikebug today for a lot less.

Last edited:

Oddjob

I hit a small sapling stump yesterday at 42ks and blew all the air of of the front wheel and pinch flatted the rear at the same time, my front spank spike race33 looks like part of a 50 cent when you spin the wheel.

Later looked online for a replacement rim and the only one I was able to find in the same colour and rim size was in the US for a fortune so cut my losses and ordered it only to find one at bikebug toady for a lot less.
Ouch, I can feel your psychic pain. At least I've got the spare spoke on hand.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Ouch, I can feel your psychic pain. At least I've got the spare spoke on hand.

I did manage to put a tube in the front and had some bacon strip plugs for the rear to finish the rest of the ride with the occasional top up of air from the minor bead leak but I knew I should have bought a spare rim when they were half price.

Riding friends took a photo for Strava to rub it in :).

Last edited:

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Topped up the sealant a couple of days ago, and pumped the tyres up nice and hard afterwards, planning to adjust the pressure before my next ride.

My next ride ended up being Harcourt today, and I did an entire loop of 6>9>6 on 27psi front, 30 psi rear (I usually run 22/25), and was half way up 6 again, before I remembered what I'd forgotten to remember. Once the appropriate action had been taken, the remainder of my ride felt a lot smoother and grippier.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Preempting another confession...is cutting and re-threading an air shaft on pikes as simple and straightforward as it sounds? Want to drop this otherwise munted old set of 160’s to 130ish.
@SummitFever is the sort of oracle to set me straight. View attachment 352270

Last pike air shaft I cut into, it was tapered on the inside. Walls were super thin mid way along the shaft. Don’t recall what pile it came from sorry.

Good luck

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Been having difficulties with the drivetrain on the hardtail (top two gears are jumping off and basically unusable). Suspect derailleur out of alignment (no), upper tension thingy for the higher gears is out (no), bent derailleur (no), bent derailleur hanger (no). Wtf is going on? Everything looks straight but clearly not working, and getting cross because I don't want to take it back to the shop (bike has cost me a little more than anticipated in maintenance / repairs recently).

Also correct the brake pads as they're rubbing. Fail to note any correlation until I look on the other side and notice the axle seems a bit out of alignment... then notice wheel is too (it's a 135 QR). Loosen, realign, tighten. Voila - perfectly shifting drivetrain.

100% my fault but I'm still using it as a healthy example that QR axles are all kinds of shit.

stirk

Burner
I had a few issues this morning. Couldn't find my helmet and gloves anywhere, shit shit shit, oh well I'll borrow the boys, the helmet is a bit small but kind of fits and would save my nogging in a fall. The gloves are comical but hey theyare gloves. I set off on the ride and find the kids helmet is digging in to my ears and scalp, it's so uncomfortable I'd rather risk riding without it. Then 2km into the ride the gears start playing up, not shifting and then double shifting it's getting worse so pull over to discover this.

IMG_20190425_093219127-1202x2137.jpg

The gears started playing up at the end of the last ride and some fuckwit didn't bother to investigate.

And I suspect my helmet is at the trail head of last weekend's ride.