Confessions from the fuckwits

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Didn’t officially confess this here the other day...

Doing that glory build for the young local lad last weekend. @Plankosaurus frame came with 1.5 headset. Knocked out top only and banged in a 1 1/8, and thought I’d use a crown race adapter on bottom with the boxxers. Nope, it’s for sealed bearings, headset is caged. Knocked it out and fitted 1 1/8 lower.
Spent 40 minutes wondering why I couldn’t get the play out of the bottom. Tighten a slight bit more, it binds. Slacken off, it’s got play.
Checked numerous times that all the parts are in the correct way, everything seems right.
Clearly the headset is munted.

Let me just check that it’s the right crown race for this headset....

Wait...where’s the crown race?

Oh, there it is, on the ground next to the removed 1.5 headset.

Fit race, check bike is perfect, and promptly facepalm myself with a very greasy hand.
Don't forget finding the 9sp shifter after giving away your 10sp driveline!

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
Gah!

As above, both @Plankosaurus and @Labcanary swore I had their 9sp Shimano shifter needed for the Glory build.
Checked 20 times, couldn’t find. Basically accused both the above of lying.
Gave up. Donated 10sp sram X9 spares and a 10sp cassette (cassette was on wife’s bike).

2 night ago, a mate needed an 11sp shifter. I go to shed. First shifter I pick up is the mysterious 9sp shimmy

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Gah!

As above, both @Plankosaurus and @Labcanary swore I had their 9sp Shimano shifter needed for the Glory build.
Checked 20 times, couldn’t find. Basically accused both the above of lying.
Gave up. Donated 10sp sram X9 spares and a 10sp cassette (cassette was on wife’s bike).

2 night ago, a mate needed an 11sp shifter. I go to shed. First shifter I pick up is the mysterious 9sp shimmy View attachment 355243
Someone probably snuck into your shed and planted it there. I won't lie, that would have been worth the 4 hour round trip

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Early this year I bought a Giant XTC from @Crunch. It was in great condition and I did a few changes because that is the law of mountain biking. Anyway I noticed that the rear wheel was quite flexy. I put it down to a cheap factory wheel and my first distance on a 29er. After some consideration I posted a WTB and @Oddjob came to the rescue with some nice Tricons. The WTB ad attracted a few questions because the factory wheels were supposed to be ok. I think I was even asked if the spokes were tight and good. Yes, yes, yes.

I recently sold the XTC (which I wasn't planning to sell) to a mate of #2 and hadn't actually had time to fit the wheels. I mentioned that I found the wheels a bit soggy and he concurred and as he is about 30kg heavier than me I reckon they would feel terrible. Anyway after a 60km day on the bike he took it off my hands. That evening I swapped the wheels out after a general clean up of the bike and newish wheels. It rode much much better. Felt good on the road and didn't feel as though the rear was going to buckle under you while pedalling out of a corner.

So today I worked on my new ride (PYR coming soon) and decided to take the rotors off the Giant wheels and put them on the new bike.

Discovered that in the six days the Giant factory wheels have been off the bike and sitting in the shed two nipples have broken up inside the rim! Wow... What a fuckwit I am. The simplist test of spoke tension by hand would have identified the issue. Maybe the wheels are ok afterall.

Last edited:

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Discovered that in the six days the Giant factory wheels have been off the bike and sitting in the shed two nipples have broken up inside the rim! Wow... What a fuckwit I am. The simplist test of spoke tension by hand would have identified the issue. Maybe the wheels are ok afterall.
Yes nipples on Giant wheels seem to be absolute garbage. Put some wheels from my trance on my son's hard tail, in 6 months I had replaced probbaly 8 rear wheel nipples, he obviously rides much harder than me! Finally busted the rim so I could replace with Stans!

Isildur

The Real Pedant
I cannot decide if I should order a frame with 445 or 465 reach......
How tall are you and what's your ape index? And what is your intended riding on the bike - playful & poppy, or Mr Plow?

haha, I know it may not seem like much, but 20mm can make all the difference, just ask my wife!

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
How tall are you and what's your ape index? And what is your intended riding on the bike - playful & poppy, or Mr Plow?

haha, I know it may not seem like much, but 20mm can make all the difference, just ask my wife!
174cm. Long arms and legs for height. Sat on a 467 reach 29er yesterday and it felt shorter than I was expecting with a 40mm stem.

Like playful but also will plow if that is what a section needs. Main goals riding are speed, jumping and risk (being on the edge type risky fun).

Isildur

The Real Pedant
174cm. Long arms and legs for height. Sat on a 467 reach 29er yesterday and it felt shorter than I was expecting with a 40mm stem.

Like playful but also will plow if that is what a section needs. Main goals riding are speed, jumping and risk (being on the edge type risky fun).
Definitely go the 465mm then (well, I would). If it's a "new geo" bike (aka steep seat angle), the seated position will be "normal" as the ETT will be the same. But the extra reach (BB to Steerer) will give you more room to both play and plow.

I'm 178cm and my bike has a 471mm reach, and paired with a 40mm stem I find it perfect. Gives a lot of stability and comfort in the cockpit when pinning it, and I don't find it less playful by all that much compared to my older bike (435mm reach).

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bought a set of Fox 36 Performance forks second hand off Facebook with grand plans of a Vorsprung Coil conversion and orange lowers (love the look of black stanchions with orange lowers).

Measured the steerer length roughly against my current setup and looked like it’d be ok. Didn’t measure the steerer on my current Lyrik.

Received yesterday. Booked in with Paint my bike to get the lowers painted today.

Thought I’d test fit just in case. About 2-3mm too short. Top of steerer is juuuuust below the midline of the top bolt on the stem. FML.

Don’t want to change the stem. Can’t slam it any lower even with a Cane Creek Slamset as would interfere with frame.

Anyone want some forks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bought a set of Fox 36 Performance forks second hand off Facebook with grand plans of a Vorsprung Coil conversion and orange lowers (love the look of black stanchions with orange lowers).

Measured the steerer length roughly against my current setup and looked like it’d be ok. Didn’t measure the steerer on my current Lyrik.

Received yesterday. Booked in with Paint my bike to get the lowers painted today.

Thought I’d test fit just in case. About 2-3mm too short. Top of steerer is juuuuust below the midline of the top bolt on the stem. FML.

Don’t want to change the stem. Can’t slam it any lower even with a Cane Creek Slamset as would interfere with frame.

Anyone want some forks?

Hold up. I no longer qualify. Ad said 185mm steerer. Just measured the bastard and it’s only 175mm. Turns out the f-wit might have been the seller.

moorey

call me Mia
Hold up. I no longer qualify. Ad said 185mm steerer. Just measured the bastard and it’s only 175mm. Turns out the f-wit might have been the seller.

A shorter stack stem will still resolve. Just sayin.