Confessions from the fuckwits

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
This post is long overdue.....

Got a new Scott Genius earlier in the year, 29 inch, Eagle 12 sp drive chain, remote double lockout for the suspension. I love this bike, it's lifted my riding to a new level.

After a few months, I gave it a good service, pulled everything apart, cleaned and reassembled. I noticed under load in the hard gears it felt like it was skipping under load. Checked the hanger alignment, checked the hub, checked the indexing, couldn't notice any issues. This went on for weeks.

Was at Stromlo at the Handlebar, beer in hand, with the bike on one of the hanging racks outside, and I thought I'd just roll the cranks over slowly and watch what happened. Put it into the hardest gear, sure enough, there was the slip/click.

I noticed the joining link in the Eagle chain has a curve in the plates.... ie they are directional...... and I'd reinstalled the chain with the joining link on upside down.

Fuckwit.
Hmmmmm. I'm going to go home and check my wife's bike now.... Would LOVE a Genius by the way!

T-Rex

Template denier
Hmmmmm. I'm going to go home and check my wife's bike now.... Would LOVE a Genius by the way!
Yeah, the Genius is awesome. Rims are a bit soft, I've got two good flat spots in the rear, flip side of that is that I have not had a puncture, and I'm running tubes. Upgraded the rear hub to the new i9 101, which is a good improvement for technical climbing.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Yeah, the Genius is awesome. Rims are a bit soft, I've got two good flat spots in the rear, flip side of that is that I have not had a puncture, and I'm running tubes. Upgraded the rear hub to the new i9 101, which is a good improvement for technical climbing.
Yeah, I've got a Spark and upgraded the wheelset to a Duroc 35mm for extra strength and handling. Had i9s. Great hubs. The Spark is great but as an allrounder I reckon the Genius would be a perfect bike.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
So you have to ride over the top of him to get a power-up?
I like that. But for non Canberrans, we have these chevrons painted on one of our divided freeway style roads, the idea being to keep two between you and the car in front for safe braking distance.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Holy shit!!! I am so out of shape for bike building...or something. One of my mates undertook a "I'm cleaning your garage up arsehole" mission recently and I can't find a fucking thing in my nest! I'm grateful for his efforts at giving me some space, but fuck...fishing gear doesn't go in the tool box! Anyway my confession is I am either really out of shape for bike builds or things aren't as easy as they used to be. It took me about 1.5 hours to get a chain guide + BB + crank installed this evening. Sure I was also testing calling and wanking, but still...30-45 minutes dickwad.

My confession today is that I haven't fucked up since the last fuck up.

I'm expecting a major fuckup soon. But I think I may have fucked up with some double-sided tape that I just haven't realised I fucked up yet.

I'm gonna head to Bunnings, grab a Sanga and ask them what can safely get double sided tape off anything I put it on.

Last edited:

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers

I'm expecting a major fuckup soon. But I think I may have fucked up with some double-sided tape that I just haven't realised I fucked up yet.

I'm gonna head to Bunnings, grab a Sanga and ask them what can safely get double sided tape off anything I put it on.
Make sure you ask for your onion on top of the snag just to wind them up. And perhaps try eucalyptus oil on that DS tape.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

Could definitely go a gluten free vegan bunnings snag this morning!

link1896

Mr Greenfield

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I have inside knowledge on this. 20 people involved, no-one noticed anything wrong.

Story is a touch misleading - happened a few hours before QF1, was the QF1 aircraft, they swapped to the next-day L.A. aircraft to keep the 8pm flight happening. I can only guess they kept the L.A. route going by pulling the Dallas plane.

Classic case of process not being followed - it would have to be!

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I seem to have either lost or never had one of the washers for my shock mounting bolts. Plus I put the wrong one in before I realised I needed said washer. I got another washer, it's thicker but the right diameter, I think that's better than no washer? Santa Cruz only sells it in a kit for $129.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I seem to have either lost or never had one of the washers for my shock mounting bolts. Plus I put the wrong one in before I realised I needed said washer. I got another washer, it's thicker but the right diameter, I think that's better than no washer? Santa Cruz only sells it in a kit for $129.
Specialty Fasteners in Fishwyck will probably have something to suit?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
What size is it? Just a flat washer?

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Ah, no wonder Santa Cruz charge $4000 for their special unobtanium Enduro thickness.

That's tedious.

Binaural

Eats Squid
I have inside knowledge on this. 20 people involved, no-one noticed anything wrong.

Story is a touch misleading - happened a few hours before QF1, was the QF1 aircraft, they swapped to the next-day L.A. aircraft to keep the 8pm flight happening. I can only guess they kept the L.A. route going by pulling the Dallas plane.

Classic case of process not being followed - it would have to be!
Sounds like the good ol' bystander effect at work.