Confessions from the fuckwits

ausdb

Being who he is
Time to confess, I spent freaking ages filing out the cable stops on the Boys frame so I could set up full length shift cable for the rear and thread the rear hydro hose through the stops. Spending $20 on 2 meters of shift housing outer from a bike shop as I was too late to order online. Cutting that length about 6cm too short so when he turned the bars it self shifted. Spending another $27 for some more housing at another LBS to fix that mistake.
Going through a box of bike bits in the shed tonight and finding a brand new shift cable kit with 2m of housing in it, that I forgot I had purchased.
Yes I am a fuckwit, at least the the bits that are too short one end can go on recabling the vintage bike that still has cable stops :)

nathanm

Eats Squid
Wanted to see if bleeding the new guide r brakes would improve the lever feel so pulled out the $11 aliexpress sram bleed kit and YouTube'd instructions.

Wtf another new standard with "bleeding edge". Got all frustrated I didn't have the required tools and almost spent $40 on a express order for the specific hose before realising that little metal thing that came extra in the bag, yep it was the adaptor I needed and had been pissed off about not having all day.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Cleaned and greased the pivots yesterday. Mid way through I opened up a new tube of marine grease. I started getting blotches of grease on my tshirt thinking I had lapses of concentration and maybe wiped my hand on it or got too close to the grease on the BB.
Turns out the tube had a little hole on the other end and grease was escaping from there also anytime I squeezed it. :mad:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Cleaned and greased the pivots yesterday. Mid way through I opened up a new tube of marine grease. I started getting blotches of grease on my tshirt thinking I had lapses of concentration and maybe wiped my hand on it or got too close to the grease on the BB.
Turns out the tube had a little hole on the other end and grease was escaping from there also anytime I squeezed it. :mad:
Is th confession that you purchased your grease in a tube rather than tub? Surely a tube was never a big enough purchase?

cammas

Seamstress
Swapping some cranks around between bikes the other week and had to swap the bottom brackets as well, one bike sweet nothing unusual, other bike creaking like a mofo.

Mmm maybe I didn’t do the bottom bracket up tight enough, due to the change in size with shimano cups I couldn’t torque it so I used the bottom bracket spanner. So I take off the cranks and check the cups nope they’re all good, give them an extra tighten just to make sure, don’t notice anything else and put it it back.

I go for another ride that weekend and it’s still creaking now I’m getting pissed, it does have an eccentric bottom bracket shell as it doubles as my singlespeed, so I resign to the fact I’ll have to pull it apart and clean it. So by this stage it has been going on for three weeks, so I take off the cranks which is a raceface with a cinch ring as I go to put it on the bench I hear a rattle WTF! The ring is completely loose to the point where I can wiggle it a couple of mill.

Wait a minute I got these cranks out of the spares cupboard and when I put them away I only put the cinch ring on by finger, thinking I wasn’t going to use them and I would check them before using them again. Ok dickhead torque it up and try again, guess what not a fucking sound! It makes such a difference when things are done up or at least tight. :rolleyes:

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Is th confession that you purchased your grease in a tube rather than tub? Surely a tube was never a big enough purchase?
Haha could be! I've only got one MTB (another confession!) and only use marine grease on the pivots, BB and headset. The $3 100g tube has lasted me 2 years so pretty happy with that.
The large tub of slickoleum I have will easily be passed onto future generations

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I have, it's just that life got in the way of regular maintenance nek minute it's been twelve months of regular beach rides and that was a close call.
That is a long time between lube jobs! Too many bikes and not enough time. I am pretty sure I fresh greased the nomad just after the last trip to the quarry of doom, which was last school holidays.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
Swapping some cranks around between bikes the other week and had to swap the bottom brackets as well, one bike sweet nothing unusual, other bike creaking like a mofo.

Mmm maybe I didn’t do the bottom bracket up tight enough, due to the change in size with shimano cups I couldn’t torque it so I used the bottom bracket spanner. So I take off the cranks and check the cups nope they’re all good, give them an extra tighten just to make sure, don’t notice anything else and put it it back.

I go for another ride that weekend and it’s still creaking now I’m getting pissed, it does have an eccentric bottom bracket shell as it doubles as my singlespeed, so I resign to the fact I’ll have to pull it apart and clean it. So by this stage it has been going on for three weeks, so I take off the cranks which is a raceface with a cinch ring as I go to put it on the bench I hear a rattle WTF! The ring is completely loose to the point where I can wiggle it a couple of mill.

Wait a minute I got these cranks out of the spares cupboard and when I put them away I only put the cinch ring on by finger, thinking I wasn’t going to use them and I would check them before using them again. Ok dickhead torque it up and try again, guess what not a fucking sound! It makes such a difference when things are done up or at least tight. :rolleyes:
I chased a creak on my hardtail for ages. BB in and out. Cranks redone. Cassette checked, Headset checked. Finally decided to regrease the changing bolts....fixed it.

Minlak

custom titis
Sooooo pulling a bike apart and putting it back together to “service” it - I will more fill the next page - await updates
  1. Removing Sram X1 cranks - undo the bolt and the crank arm doesn’t come off - get a hammer not moving - start to think about undoing BB to leverage it off - realise I took off the outer nut that the inner nut uses to pull off the crank arm - no damage so far
  2. Can’t get the BB to move so hit the spanner with a hammer the “shock” it and gets it moving - just wrecked half of the grooves on the outer edge that the spanner / socket sits in.

And that’s just the pulling apart

Last edited:

stirk

Burner
Sooooo pulling a Nike apart and putting it back together to “service” it - I will more fill the next page - await updates
  1. Removing Sram X1 cranks - undo the bolt and the crank arm doesn’t come off - get a hammer not moving - start to think about undoing BB to leverage it off - realise I took off the outer nut that the inner nut uses to pull off the crank arm - no damage so far
  2. Can’t get the BB to move so hit the spammer with a hammer the “shock” it and gets it moving - just wrecked half of the grooves on the outer edge that the spanner / socket sits in.
I'd like to hit a spammer with a hammer, I bet it felt satisfying.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Sooooo pulling a Nike apart and putting it back together to “service” it - I will more fill the next page - await updates
  2. Can’t get the BB to move so hit the spanner with a hammer the “shock” it and gets it moving - just wrecked half of the grooves on the outer edge that the spanner / socket sits in.

What Nike are you servicing? Must be one of the high tech new models?