Confessions from the fuckwits

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Holy shit that is rough, have you had issues with the tape failing around the holes?
Not so far, even with that green gaffer tape ($2 a roll). We'll see on the weekend though had to finish off the gap with some random REALLY shit tape I had laying around. Still holding air as of now though haha

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rookie set up with tubeless today.
  1. Got a DHR tyre but it has the yellow maxxis where my front tyre has the white.
  2. Thought I got it all setup properly and put the sealant in. It wouldn't seat properly so went to servo air compressor. Turns out it the inner tape was just those crappy plastic rim protection pieces and I hadn't done the valve tight enough.
  3. Took it apart, cleaned it all up, couple of youtubes later, tape applied. Poke the valve straight into the spoke hole beside where it's meant to go.
  4. Retape, soap the sides, seat the tyre, add sealant, all happy. Forgot to line the logo's up with the valve.
Tubeless setup round 2
  1. Had a hole in side of tyre and had a tyre plug so thought I would test it out. Sealant in, pumps up fine, then pop, find out other side but a little bit further back has a hole too. Plug it as well, pump it up, and then pop, find there's a hole in the middle of the tread.
  2. New tyre time, set up everything with sealant, detergent on the sides, pump pump pump. Nothing. Try the servo pump and still not seating. Get home and realise valve core was clogged.
  3. Full clean, retape, more stans, then realise that I should have left the valve core removed to help pump it up to seat the bead. Setup super easy by hand pump.
  4. Realised my logo wasn't lined up but too exhausted to fix it.
  5. After 3 hours of mucking around, half a bottle of stans, finally finished, cleaning up all the crap everywhere, wash the wheel down, lean it against the wall, and the freehub attached to the cassette both fall off. Pretty sure that means its broken.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Tubeless setup round 2
  1. Had a hole in side of tyre and had a tyre plug so thought I would test it out. Sealant in, pumps up fine, then pop, find out other side but a little bit further back has a hole too. Plug it as well, pump it up, and then pop, find there's a hole in the middle of the tread.
  2. New tyre time, set up everything with sealant, detergent on the sides, pump pump pump. Nothing. Try the servo pump and still not seating. Get home and realise valve core was clogged.
  3. Full clean, retape, more stans, then realise that I should have left the valve core removed to help pump it up to seat the bead. Setup super easy by hand pump.
  4. Realised my logo wasn't lined up but too exhausted to fix it.
  5. After 3 hours of mucking around, half a bottle of stans, finally finished, cleaning up all the crap everywhere, wash the wheel down, lean it against the wall, and the freehub attached to the cassette both fall off. Pretty sure that means its broken.
View attachment 370135View attachment 370136

Some things are more difficult than they need to be sometimes

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
And I knew I was making it harder on myself but just couldn't figure it out.
If it makes you feel any better it’s a perfectly good excuse for new bike time!
Safety reasons. Can’t have a hub fall apart on you like that.

moorey

call me Mia
Well it seems like I posted in the right place then didnt I.
Hub is shimano mt510-b.
Don’t use Shimano, but some are held on by very little. Might just be end caps. Get the cassette off first. Got a chain whip and cassette tool?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
the freehub attached to the cassette both fall off. Pretty sure that means its broken.
Not at all, make sure all the pawls are in place, nothing is missing and it is clean, slip it back on and rotate in the direction where the pawls 'fold in' the freehub will slip back on.
This is only held in place with a seal usually, Hope hubs are really prone to this if you tug the cassette.

The only issue may be the seal. Its should 'click' in and not pull off easily, if it continues to pull out really easily, you will have to remove the cassette, then slide it on. Then use a small blunt screwdriver and press the seal on to the freehub body.
If the freehub feels tight, the seal is still the issue.

Dont grease it all up or your pawls will stick down, use a more oily consistency lube rather than grease. FWIW I use Finish Line wet lube on all my hubs, Chris King, Hope, DT and Tune.

EDIT: If you have the cassette off, the freehub should feel solid, put a hand on each side (axle caps) and squeeze it, if its spongy or you can see flex in the seal at the inside of the freehub, you need to press the hub/seal together or it will rub, cause friction and wont spin right when the axle tightens the hub up.

Last edited: