Coningham - Old School Hand Built Trails

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Sick of machine built flow trail, massive berms, and pump tracks, and like to earn your turns? Then Coningham is the place for you!

This project has been a while in the making but thanks to Kingborough Council funding, an agreement with Parks and Wildlife, and a super enthusiastic bunch of locals at the Coningham Mountain Biking Club, there's now around 20km of signed trails in Coningham recreation reserve, 30 minutes drive south of Hobart. The trails are laid out in four loops from a starting point at Old Station Rd, however the reserve does have several other access points with fire trails linking up the network.

Tracks are all hand built and mostly XC with a few technical light enduro features, so it's all rideable on a hard tail, but a full susser trail rig will give the biggest smile. As noted though there's no avoiding the climbing to earn your fun, the longest loop clocks in at almost 10km with 350m of elevation gain, whilst the full 20km network will see you climbing over 700m

Signage pics below, and feel free to PM me if you'd like more info. The network is all on Trailforks and can also be found in the Tasmania Mountain Biking Guidebook. Also embedded is a video from their youtube channel although this was recorded before the signage network was installed.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Hahah, well these trails were actually started before Derby hit the map so it's been a slow labour of love. Anyway riding there is a nice return to the old school style that well all grew up on as kids. Don't be put off but the lack of definition in the video either, the signed loops are a lot more bedded in now they're getting traffic so are pretty easy to follow. See below for a couple of pics of the types of features that are dotted around the network for extra fun

Last edited:

jez86

Squid
Looks like I'll have to head to the old stomping grounds of Coningham shortly.
20km loop and 700m of climbing, perfect little stretch for the legs.

PJO

in me vL comy
I'm missed this thread when you put it up @rangersac.
Rode there in January and yeah it was old school, good bit of fun, got a bit lost but Trailforks sorted that out.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Not more trails in Tassie... you lot down there only ride each trail once or something, so you're forever building more?!

Looks great though - animal tracks, off camber and big climbs.
Yeah it's been quite a struggle lately. You get up in the morning and have to decide which trail you will ride today, such a headache!
Sometimes, just to spice things up a bit, we even ride the same trail that we rode last week:eek:
The long term issues of so many trails just hasn't been thought of. I won't be long and it will be that long since you have ridden a trail a second time you would have forgotten that you rode it in the first place. You Mainlander have it so easy;)