Consultation on the management of the Bruce Ridge cycling trails

scbullit

Likes Dirt
We're heading down to Canberra tomorrow for Chrissy, I realise that Stromlo, Majura and Sparrow Hill are all looking pretty grim, I don't mind having a bit of an explore, but if this Bruce Ridge track is grim as well, is it worth bringing a bike down when realisticly I'm only going to be able to ride 1 day?
Stromlo has re opened to riding (albiet limited) - I rode there today. The trunk trail to the top, down skyline, berm track, breakout and so on... It is very rough and washed out with lots of loose sandy corners - very sketchy! Darren from Makin' Trax has done well just to get this up and rideable. I didn't have time to go down the back side so don't know what it is like. Please take it easy on the downhills - it is different to what it used to be with LOTS of ruts, etc, and stay off closed trails.

niftydog

Likes Dirt
A few near misses? Get over it.:cool:
I said "unfortunately..."! I'm not advocating it, I'm just anticipating that this will be one of the compromises that will have to be made. The two major concerns the gov. will have will be their potential liability and damage to the environment; Their first and only local point of reference is Stromlo.

...as for all the small tracks that would be closed, why? They are all still riding well.
You're obviously not thinking about the same overgrown goat tracks I'm thinking of! ;)

Keeping my eyes on the bigger prize here - if we loose a few dodgy trails along the way then I won't be crying into my beer. :D

Sparrow is one way, it's just that it's kinda accepted that people often ignore the unofficial rule... especially at night in winter when sparrow backwards under lights was one of the best tracks in the country!

J3$$3

Likes Dirt
i'd love to see bruce up and legal, its a great place where alot of riders, including myself, love to ride the trails, they are great, either way you go, clock wise or anti, your in for a great ride, and all the little tracks are great fun, why they'd want to close them... :confused:
+ 1 for the wet riding, the track holds so well in wet conditions!!!

Tacky Monster

Likes Dirt
Sparrow is one way, it's just that it's kinda accepted that people often ignore the unofficial rule... especially at night in winter when sparrow backwards under lights was one of the best tracks in the country!
Sparrow never was one way - Paul and Allen who built the trails even put a sign up at the trail head to that effect - they put the arrow markings around as a guide only, so that newcomers could get around without getting lost!

jean5614

Likes Dirt
I said "unfortunately..."! I'm not advocating it, I'm just anticipating that this will be one of the compromises that will have to be made. The two major concerns the gov. will have will be their potential liability and damage to the environment; Their first and only local point of reference is Stromlo.

You're obviously not thinking about the same overgrown goat tracks I'm thinking of! ;)

Keeping my eyes on the bigger prize here - if we loose a few dodgy trails along the way then I won't be crying into my beer. :D

Sorry, Sparrow is not one way, never has been and was never intended to be, as a point of reference talk to trail builders, try Paul Cole. Never any rule official or unofficial, and there have been enough races out there that have used both ways. Talk to Paul he can put you right.:cool:

frensham

Likes Dirt
;)
Totally wrong! Even the current 15km circuit (due to logging) can be ridden both ways - passed three riders the other day going 'in reverse'.

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I rode Bruce this arvo - it's a little more rutted in places than it was a few weeks ago but generally still in excellent shape.

jean5614

Likes Dirt
So Stromlo is now open, except for the bits that are closed. majura was riding well the other day, with a few trees to negotiate but otherwise very nice. Paul Cole has built a new area out near Sparrow. Kowen club? All is calm, all is bright. Sweet:cool: