Convertible helmets pros and cons

kip01

Likes Dirt
Hey burners in the market for new trail and full face helmet and have come across these new convertible style lids just wondering the pros and cons and which ones are better cheers

moorey

call me Mia
Just gave my bell convertible away.
Had it 3 years. Wore it a couple of times. Never comfy and cool as an open face, never felt solid and safe as a full face.
They’ve come a long way since my super 2r, but I always wear a proper FF for enduro these days, and you can’t race DH in them anyway.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I like my super3r, barely ever use the chinbar though. It's nice to have for a little extra confidence, but much prefer a proframe (or stage now, haven't used it in anger yet) for shuttle days etc. I don't doubt the bell is a great helmet, but I'm glad I had the proframe on when I got intimate with black hill.

I'm pretty sure race organisers aren't even allowing the dh certified superdh convertible helmets now either so that's something to consider too.

You'd have a dh helmet aswell yeah? If so the convertibles are a great option. I use my bell because it's comfy, and feels heaps sturdier than most trail helmets, and breathes fairly well too. Probably isn't a one helmet for all situations solution, but it'll cover a lot more than most too.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

kip01

Likes Dirt
Doubt i will be doing any races at most one or two a year think I might pull the pin on a super dh. Just not sure if it's as comfy as a normal non convertible helmet

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I've got a Bell Super 3r mips, Met Parachute, and a Proframe mips.

I really like the 3r as a trail helmet. Its got a lot of coverage at the back of the head and is well made. Never used the chinbar.

The Parachute is only a teensy bit heavier than the 3r and I often forget that its a full face. It has really great ventilation and has very good thermal management. The only real downfall is that it doesn't work with neck braces.

The Proframe feels like my rampage pro carbon. It feels a lot more like a full face than the Parachute.

If I were you I would get a Parachute as an all purpose helmet. Maybe get a cheap lightweight Limar for xc/road riding.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
For what it's worth, the proframe breathes better than the 3r with a chinbar on. And the met parachute you barely even notice the chinbar it's so airy.

Haven't worn the super dh, they did a ripper job on the 3r though so I'd have high hopes for its comfort.

There's also a Lazer convertible as well, looks closer to the parachute in size and ventilation.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
you only get 1 head.... find yourself an "old" paint job TLD D3 for cheap..., go try one on and you will know what your next helmet will be. Personally i was never satisfied with the protection or strength of any of the "light-weight" or convertible helmets... the Fox one has more holes in the chinbar than actual helmet.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Doubt i will be doing any races at most one or two a year think I might pull the pin on a super dh. Just not sure if it's as comfy as a normal non convertible helmet
The Super dh is a lot more comfy than the earlier Bell convertible jobs, it's the most comfortable helmet I've owned.

There is a lot of adjustment in the Super dh from the depth (best adjustment), to the rear dial and the cheek pads.

kip01

Likes Dirt
The Super dh is a lot more comfy than the earlier Bell convertible jobs, it's the most comfortable helmet I've owned.

There is a lot of adjustment in the Super dh from the depth (best adjustment), to the rear dial and the cheek pads.
Know of any good shops that sell them in Melbourne?

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Know of any good shops that sell them in Melbourne?
I've seen them at Yarra valley cycles. Might be worth stopping past Ivanhoe cycles in Hallam on the way, I know they have the 3r, they might have the dh too.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
you only get 1 head.... find yourself an "old" paint job TLD D3 for cheap..., go try one on and you will know what your next helmet will be. Personally i was never satisfied with the protection or strength of any of the "light-weight" or convertible helmets... the Fox one has more holes in the chinbar than actual helmet.
I’m with Matty. If you think you might need face protection on a ride you should just be wearing a proper full face.

BT180

Max Pfaff
2nd the Super DH. It's a great lid. I just wear it without the chin-bar 90% of the time, but then convert it to a FF for gravity days or gnarly sh!t I may be riding.

I don't take it on pedally days as without a backpack i have nowhere to store the chin bar.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I've got a Bell Super 3r mips, Met Parachute, and a Proframe mips.

I really like the 3r as a trail helmet. Its got a lot of coverage at the back of the head and is well made. Never used the chinbar.

The Parachute is only a teensy bit heavier than the 3r and I often forget that its a full face. It has really great ventilation and has very good thermal management. The only real downfall is that it doesn't work with neck braces.

The Proframe feels like my rampage pro carbon. It feels a lot more like a full face than the Parachute.

If I were you I would get a Parachute as an all purpose helmet. Maybe get a cheap lightweight Limar for xc/road riding.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
You need more helmets.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I have a Leatt DBX 3.0 as my do all. But like @BT180 says it is a pain to carry a chin guard if you don't have a pack.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
2nd the Super DH. It's a great lid. I just wear it without the chin-bar 90% of the time, but then convert it to a FF for gravity days or gnarly sh!t I may be riding.

I don't take it on pedally days as without a backpack i have nowhere to store the chin bar.
This.

If no pedalling then I take my Giro Disciple

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I wear a super 3r for general trail duties and wear the chinbar on the descents.

Had a hard head/face plant/scorpion off a drop at Eaton’s cutting (Red Hill) that cracked and dented the 3r and munted the chinbar, but I walked away. Ordered a new one that night.

I usually wear the Proframe up there or on shuttle days anywhere gnarly, but the Super 3r and the chinbar impressed me that day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a 2r that has a lot of battle scars. Still in 1 piece. 1 small otb and the Proframe is munted. I'll use a Proframe for gnarly trailriding and light enduro/racing, the Bell was a good all round trail helmet but anything serious, a proper DH helmet is the best.