converting giant p-xc 2 29er wheels

shoogyboom

Likes Dirt
Split in tyre

So after finally getting my conversion sorted I get 10m down the track and put a split in the middle of the rear tyre that sealant won't fix. lol

I still like to run mine in the low to mid 30 psi. Don't like the squirmy feeling when they are below that.

Jubas

Likes Dirt
I'm about 85-90kgs all kitted up and am running 25psi up front and 27psi out back.. I've found that as the sweet spot for my setup (fast trak control up front, renegade s-works out back)

Magoo74

Likes Bikes
I've just set mine up using the Stan's Flow rim strips.

I binned the stock rim tape - it was twisted and folded over on itself in places. So I ran a thin strip of gaffa tape around the rim to cover the spoke holes just as an extra measure to protect the rim strips (Although the Stan's rim strips do seem to be pretty strong)

I was able to get the 2.4 Ardent (front) seated with my shitty floor pump, but the Ikon on the rear wouldn't play nice, so I used a CO2 canister on him. Both tyres are the EXO models.

Overall it was very easy and of course I wonder why I didn't do this 6 months (and 3 tubes) ago.

jacksonj51

Cannon Fodder
Bike: Giant Anthem X 29er 0
Rims: P-XC2
Tires: Hans Dampf 2.35 tubeless 29

So I ran mudmav's method for my newly purchased Hans Dampf set of tubeless tires and just can't seem to get them to fill up with air. Followed directions to a tee and have had no problems in the past installing tubeless but for some reason I just can't get these to hold air on the test run before putting in the Stans.

Have the Bontrager rim strip in perfect n all... Wondering if these tires are just not compatible with theses rims?

I was so happy to come across this thread but bummed they're not working
Hope this thread didn't die

Edit: Nevermind got it.... for some reason it only worked with the stock rim tape still in... then the bontrager rim strip over the top??? Oh well its good to go

Last edited:

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bike: Giant Anthem X 29er 0
Rims: P-XC2
Tires: Hans Dampf 2.35 tubeless 29

So I ran mudmav's method for my newly purchased Hans Dampf set of tubeless tires and just can't seem to get them to fill up with air. Followed directions to a tee and have had no problems in the past installing tubeless but for some reason I just can't get these to hold air on the test run before putting in the Stans.

Have the Bontrager rim strip in perfect n all... Wondering if these tires are just not compatible with theses rims?

I was so happy to come across this thread but bummed they're not working
Hope this thread didn't die

Edit: Nevermind got it.... for some reason it only worked with the stock rim tape still in... then the bontrager rim strip over the top??? Oh well its good to go
As a last resort, put tubes in and leave inflated over night before trying again. Also make sure the bead is lubricated with a wipe of sealant. It will help it to seat.

Gorilla tape, Joes rubber rim strips Maxxis Crossmarks

Any one had any luck converting the giant p-xc2 29er wheels to tubeless?I had a try with filament tape, inflated easy enough but after a few minutes started to leak through spoke holes.Is there a kit or strips available that fit properly?:confused:
I used Gorilla tape and some Joes No flats rim strips. This worked great, relliability was most important for me than weight. I used 2 scoops of True Blue puncture goo. On the front I have the Giant Pxc2 rim, with this I used a Tubless crossmark. This thing has never ever lost air, even after doing the setup and leaving without riding for 2 weeks it kept its full 40psi. On the rear is a cheap wtb rim I used a regular crossmark, this initially lost air but has not been a problem when riding. Im now running 23- 25psi and I weigh 103kg , it has not burped at this pressure although it is about 6 months or so since the initial setup. at this lower presssure it is a bit squirmy but I get used to it and prefer the comfort of lower pressure.

In summary.

• Joes xc rim strips (but all mountain would be better) 26 or 29 inch size they both fit a 29er rim
  • Gorila tape
  • Valves cut out of old tubes
  • 2 scoops of true blue puncture goo only $17 a bottle at LBS
  • tubeless crossmark for bulletproof setup
  • regular non ust Crossmark working well too

For P XC 2 I would highly recomend rim strips , if you can find the cheap Joes No flats ones it may be less hassle that cutting up a tube ghetto style

But I reckon if you had something like a Tubless Crossmark you could get away with no rim strips on a P xc 2 but for the sake of 60grams probably a rim strip is a sensible addition. ( you could even run less sealant if weight was a concern)

mallion

Squid
I used Gorilla tape and some Joes No flats rim strips. This worked great, relliability was most important for me than weight. I used 2 scoops of True Blue puncture goo. On the front I have the Giant Pxc2 rim, with this I used a Tubless crossmark. This thing has never ever lost air, even after doing the setup and leaving without riding for 2 weeks it kept its full 40psi. On the rear is a cheap wtb rim I used a regular crossmark, this initially lost air but has not been a problem when riding. Im now running 23- 25psi and I weigh 103kg , it has not burped at this pressure although it is about 6 months or so since the initial setup. at this lower presssure it is a bit squirmy but I get used to it and prefer the comfort of lower pressure.

In summary.

• Joes xc rim strips (but all mountain would be better) 26 or 29 inch size they both fit a 29er rim
  • Gorila tape
  • Valves cut out of old tubes
  • 2 scoops of true blue puncture goo only $17 a bottle at LBS
  • tubeless crossmark for bulletproof setup
  • regular non ust Crossmark working well too

For P XC 2 I would highly recomend rim strips , if you can find the cheap Joes No flats ones it may be less hassle that cutting up a tube ghetto style

But I reckon if you had something like a Tubless Crossmark you could get away with no rim strips on a P xc 2 but for the sake of 60grams probably a rim strip is a sensible addition. ( you could even run less sealant if weight was a concern)
I would recommend using Gorilla Tape as well. Used it on a few ghetto tubeless set ups over the years with no issues, it always has sealed up the rim first shot for me. Including Giant P XC 2's with no rim strip. Also you can buy it in a 2" width which is pretty perfect for most rims.