Converting rigid to front suspension?

Roly

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Basically down the line i will want a short travel DJ fork for my rigid HT, which currently has a AlexDP23 rim laced to a hub with a bolt-on axle (i know, shithouse wheelset but im not here for any quality banter). I thought it was just a matter of throwing some forks on and riding away, but after trying this with another bike with a qr fork on it i was swiftly proven wrong. To make the following simpler,

rigid bike with bolt on axle = bike 1
susp. bike with qr skewer = bike 2

Basically the rigid fork is narrower than the suspension fork, meaning i could put the wheel from bike 2 (with a qr skewer) on the rigid fork of bike 1, however could not but the wheel of bike 1 (with a bolt on axle) on the susp. fork of bike 2. I noticed the bolt-on axle to be a bit thick for the susp. fork anyway?

My reaction was that this was a problem i could fix simply with a new skewer - as the front wheel on bike 1 (with the bolt-on axle) is essentially an mtb rim/hub, so its just a matter of getting a qr skewer to make it compatible with suspension forks? Cheers, any help appreciated :)