copperhead at mt buller

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was super excited to go ride it, but everyone I've spoken to who went down there over the break is telling me it is a disaster. Sounds like they used the wrong dirt. Bummer.

Why do we have to try and get all "fancy" and ignore the construction techniques that have proven themselves overseas?

MARKL

Eats Squid
I was super excited to go ride it, but everyone I've spoken to who went down there over the break is telling me it is a disaster. Sounds like they used the wrong dirt. Bummer.

Why do we have to try and get all "fancy" and ignore the construction techniques that have proven themselves overseas?
At least there consistent...

---Matt---

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I agree that the track can be scary to ride if you hit it fast and it does need some adjusting, however I'm not sure exactly what construction techniques you're referring to that they've ignored? There's good drainage, the boggy sections are armoured with rock and they've used that dirt, as it has a high clay content to try and reduce the impact to the environment. The soil up there is just crap for trails so they did what they could to make the track last but obviously with such a large amount of gravel in the dirt, it was a mistake.

I understand the guys from World Trail and RMB are still monitoring the track and I'm sure they will be making changes/improvements to make it flow better and last longer.

chica

Likes Dirt
i'm not a downhiller but I rode copperhead over Xmas and I found the top half just didn't flow, I had to correct my line alot which meant I had to brake which meant I lost speed going into the next section. We walked the track on Boxing Day night and even walking it we felt the line was off on some of the corners.
Buller are very lucky though to have new trails, if only Thredbo was able to add new trails (DH, XC..) at the rate that Buller is.

Shredden

Knows his goats
Personally I found the best way to ride copperhead is the top of abom to the bottom of copperhead. I didnt really like it because of the fact that it is so gravelly and skatey, and the berms are mega flat.

Sweep the gravel off, put real dirt on and build up the flat corners and we could be onto a winner (or at worst a third placer?). For now I would honestly rather riding down the fireroad haha.

Ruys

Likes Dirt
I was up there on the weekend too and while I thought the track was horrible, I really appreciate the fact that it's there at all.

Imagine how good Buller would be if there was a few more tracks up there varying from really good flow trails to really gnarly, technical downhill and it had lifts running all summer. Now how likely do you think this is if everyone bags the shit out of any new work that gets done up there?

Sure, copperhead needs work, but the more trail work that's happening up there the better.

jakey_trickster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Haters going to hate, but are you all going soft? Fair enough it's a bit skatey, but where's the commitment, rode it most of the Tuesday and Wednesday when the lifts opened and it was rad. As before mentioned, the top of abom - bottom copper head "AboHead" as I hope it begins being called, is the way to go, avoids the little bit of pedalling required at the top of CopperHead. All you people saying it doesn't flow and this and that don't sound like you gave it much of a chance, the more you ride that looseness the better it gets, did at least 14 runs on it over the 2 days I spent there and had a blast, there are half a dozen gap lines forming on insides and stuff and it's only getting better as it beds in. Don't hate before you really give it a chance.

stringbean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
sounds like you guys where expecting a-line to be dumped on your door step. give it some time to bed in, le riders and the weather do its thing and hey, it might actualy be a good track.

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I understand everyone is saying give it time to bead in and it will get better the lines will form etc.

There is one key component that's missed, that loose slippery "pea" gravel and the larger 20mm stone, is the base it's the middle it's the top. That's what they built most of the trail with and built up the berms with, so the chances of it comming good are slim to none.

Otherwise apart from loosing both the front and back ends I still had a bit of fun on it, on both the full trail and the copperbomb mix.

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
I'm sure all of you are expert trail builders... and I don't know anything.

However, I'm thinking that perhaps the reason for the surface is for longevity over the first summer period?
Due to the fact that it can be ridden via a lift assist, this will mean that it will get more usage than say Misty Twist (any of your DH'ers ridden that?) and or Stonefly. Consequently I'm sure they (World trail) thought long and hard about the surface they chose.

Anywho, I loved it and I loved the fact that it required a good deal of control, concentration and dare I say, skill.

Like many, I'm looking forward to seeing it develop it's own lines as most of World Trails work does.

fastrider gus

super huck
If every single 'berm' on the track was built right up so you can actually hook around em, it might live up to all the hype. Flow = decent berms!

Timbot

Likes Dirt
hate the haters.

Haters going to hate, but are you all going soft? Fair enough it's a bit skatey, but where's the commitment, rode it most of the Tuesday and Wednesday when the lifts opened and it was rad. As before mentioned, the top of abom - bottom copper head "AboHead" as I hope it begins being called, is the way to go, avoids the little bit of pedalling required at the top of CopperHead. All you people saying it doesn't flow and this and that don't sound like you gave it much of a chance, the more you ride that looseness the better it gets, did at least 14 runs on it over the 2 days I spent there and had a blast, there are half a dozen gap lines forming on insides and stuff and it's only getting better as it beds in. Don't hate before you really give it a chance.
I agree with you Jakey.Sound like a whole lotta spoon feed people that expect perfection all the time ,every time.Any good trail is always gonna be a work in progress.It will only get better.Anybody that has built a trail and stuck with it a long time realises this.Too many people know everything but when the time comes aint prepared to dig to make a better world to ride in.

Last edited:

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i dont feel its that we expect perfection timbot, its more that the trail was marketed as fast flow downhill trail, which as of opening it has yet to achieve. (not saying that it never will, just not at this stage)
if we wanted perfection we would not be riding at Buller, the trails are so far from what the general senses would call perfection. in the greater scheme of things. then why would we all flock there in the very limited time that the trails are open? abomb has so many braking bumps before during and after most berms and techy sections you could almost loose your bike inside one, yet we love riding it. and theres the other trails which there is no point getting into.

the MTB community is more than welcome to add criticism about trails as thats the only way they get better. if everyone kept their mouth shut we would still be riding fire trail.