Cost to replace crank bearings

Spotty

Likes Dirt
Hey RBers

Today I stuffed the bearings in the crank and I need them to be replaced (my crank arm worked itself off) How much do LBSs charge to do this?
Help appreciated guys

Thanks a heap

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Depends what sort of cranks. If its an external bottom bracket like on shimano and race face stuff you can pick up a Jet Black replacement for around $60 and get a tool for around $10 and change it yourself. Shimano replacements will cost more.. depends on the level of what you want in your replacement.

Worth learning to do yourself as it is simple to do, satisfying and something you will end up having to do again for various reasons in all likelihood.

Spotty

Likes Dirt
Its a just a really cheap standard shimano one. I was thinking about buying some crank pullers as im pretty sure i'll get heaps of use out of it. Im might take it to my LBS this time and invest in some soon

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
If it's just a cheap shimano square taper you are up for about $20 for a new BB. labour will depend on how stubborn the old one is to get out

if your crank's been working loose double check that the square taper in the crank arm isn't flogged out otherwise you may have to replace that too

Last edited:

Spotty

Likes Dirt
ok. Labour at my favourite LBS is really cheap anyway, but i might have to take it to a slighty more dodgey one a bit closer and is a tad expensive.

yeah it pretty much did work itself off and towards the end of the day, it had moved about 10mm when i felt it goin from side to side. Thanks heaps

Fiffi

Likes Bikes
Just a tad more expensive, he said it would cost $600 to replace a crank on a mongoose tyax. just a TAD overpriced

Spotty

Likes Dirt
Is the square taper fairly stanadard and is it easy to find? This dodgey bike shop is honestly really only good for BMXs so will they fit? Probably not...

floody

Wheel size expert
This is the point where you go into the shop.

If the crankarm 'worked itself off' its unlikely to be the bearings which are the cause of the problem.

Spotty

Likes Dirt
What is the problem then? I tightened the crank arm bolt as tight as it could go which helped it and pushed the arm back back to where it was, but it was still fairly wobbly. I heard that some cranks only last like a couple of months after a lot of riding in the wet.

and i told you before that was my last bike fiffi and it is a giant xc

Last edited:

floody

Wheel size expert
Oh the bearings may be worn out too, but if the crank bolt loosened up and the crank arm got to slop around, the interface between it and the axle will be compromised.

Can't diagnose it over the internet. Just take it into the shop. No offence, but it would be best for you to take it somewhere that someone competent can fix it and perhaps even show you what happened and how to prevent it/repair it in the future, as opposed to you going berserk with a crank extractor and BB tool.

guitar1234

Likes Dirt
hey man i just had the same problem with my square taper cranks, if its the same bottom bracket as a giant boulder the bearing sized should be 163110, just take out the bottom bracket and have a look at the bearing numbers on the side. AND if they are 163110's they are $8.50 each

Mr Kurt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey have you got it back from micks yet, cuase if not i found a crank arm puller on chain reaction cycles for $20.

it would be faster and cheaper in the long run

Spotty

Likes Dirt
I got my bike back today and all up it cost $38. They had to replace the whole spindle and the two nuts so I think thats reasonable. It also rolls real smooth now :D

On another note I got a mate whos taken his Tyax to the same store after he smashed his crank and banana peeled his whole sprocket so it scrapes the frame. The owner wanted to charge $600 just to replace it! Saint cranks arent even half the price of that and I just think that this is crazy! The alternative was $120 road bike crank but he refused that offer! Hes gettin ripped of bad hey? Tell me what you think :confused: :confused:

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
I got my bike back today and all up it cost $38. They had to replace the whole spindle and the two nuts so I think thats reasonable. It also rolls real smooth now :D

On another note I got a mate whos taken his Tyax to the same store after he smashed his crank and banana peeled his whole sprocket so it scrapes the frame. The owner wanted to charge $600 just to replace it! Saint cranks arent even half the price of that and I just think that this is crazy! The alternative was $120 road bike crank but he refused that offer! Hes gettin ripped of bad hey? Tell me what you think :confused: :confused:
I think you need to give more detail on what the $600 covered before you go asking for wild opinions!

- Joel