Costs to swap out frames

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
i just bought a threaded rod with diff washers to do headset bearing press in/outs, works pretty well, don’t hit any bearing in, cna put it out of round, just wind the nuts at each end & it presses them in real nice, use it for pressfit bb also.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
A lengthy pipe from an old vacuum cleaner...or go totally modern and cut a slit through the race and plonk it on perfectly.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
IS headset should be tool free, the trick to removing a pressfit BB is to apply force from the rear to the outside of the housing where it meets the frame shell. This is sometimes easier said than done if there is a sleeve between the two bearing cups.

It you hit the inner bearing race you run the risk of damaging the bearing. Can borrow a tool or get your LBS to tap out the bearing for you? Removing the BB intact is the more difficult bit; they’re easy to install with the threaded rod method like @Daniel Hale suggests.

moorey

call me Mia
Easy job, Stilson if threaded BB, lump of wood to remove head set and fork , a few Allen keys for handlebar stuff and cranks ......... done = too easy.
Just watch what comes out as you pull it apart and put them in order on a light coloured cloth.
I just go by feel never used a torque wrench obviously carbon and small bolts go slowly gently til they are just firm not tight can redo later.
Actually never chased a gear cable thru the frame but should be OK.
With very basic tools, and some hacks, if everything is compatible, a couple of hours at most, and no real cost. I just swapped my sons mates parts onto a replacement frame. The only thing I had to swap was to a stem with a shorter stack, as steerer was short/headtube long.
*haven't read whole thread...might have missed some important info.

animalman86

Likes Bikes
Thanks for all the tips. I managed to get some tools off a mate to help get the BB out (without destroying it) and have stripped the first frame. I put the BB in the new frame tonight, however I just cant seem to get the BB shell to sit flush with the frame. Im using a proper seating tool, however it gets too tight to turn any further and is hanging out by about 1-2mm.

I have lightly greased the shell, would I be wrong to just give it some gentle persuasion with a mallet?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
I thought pressfits had a raised outer lip that is meant to sit against the outside face of the frame’s BB shell?

31AF2539-9B16-4BE6-94B5-131A5D397C16.jpeg

Your photo suggests this is the case and it is in as far as it’s meant to be, as the thickness of frame shell around the BB cup looks too thin for it to be machined with an internal diameter the same as the overall diameter of the protruding BB cup.

Can you measure the overall diameter of the BB cup in the photo, and compare it with the diameter of the hole on the other side of the frame (assuming you haven’t put the other BB cup in yet)?

Edit: OE specs for the Spectral Al say it’s Pressfit 92 with a GXP pressfit BB, in which case you’ve got it in as far as it will go. It’s meant to have a protruding lip as shown in your photo.

Last edited:

animalman86

Likes Bikes
Never got a chance to update this - thanks to all the advice I managed to do the whole swap myself. Really wasn't too bad in the end. The most difficult part was probably the threading of the outer gear cable through the rear triangle.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk