Council Meeting Outcomes: Bare Creek Bike Park (Northern Beaches)

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Firstly, a huge thank you to everyone who showed their support for last night's meeting. There was hardly a spare seat in the Council Chambers, and over 400 emails were received. Council seemed entirely convinced of just how serious and committed we are as a user group.

The outcomes were extremely positive. Council, particularly Mayor Regan, are wholeheartedly behind the bike park concept. And they want it to move ahead quickly, adopting a position to push the state government to lodge a Development Application ASAP. Council, however, do not want responsibility for the site. The great news is that they want the site to be operated and managed by a rider driven association. It's not just about cost passing; Council know that their involvement will hinder the facility ("you don't want us telling you how big the jumps can be"), noting that we have the capabilities within the community to get the job done better, faster, and more cost effectively. Mayor Regan even went so far as to use Council's internal arguments on the evening of a "prime example of why you don't want us involved".

Council want us to run with this opportunity. They want to see the site handed over to a rider driven association, on a token lease, to manage a bike park created using the available resources (about $3.5M).

So.... where to from here.... We have put together a strong and diverse team of professionals with a full range of necessary experience, and a common vision, and are in the process of incorporating a new purpose-specific association (more on that in a couple of weeks). This provides for involvement from existing local advocacy and rider groups, and creates a vehicle through which we, the riders, can make sure the facility lives up to its potential. There will be plenty of opportunity for people to get involved in various capacities, and we'll keep you posted.

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Great stuff, stay on it guys and girls. Don't let the red tape slow you down and look at the positive sides to it. So far, you've done a great job.

chrisp2087

Likes Dirt
That is great news and thanks for the update.

I may be jumping the gun a little here but do you think we may be looking at a user pays type arrangement? Or somewhere along the lines of school groups / training groups / race groups would pay to use?

I for one am willing to go for a user pays type of system, it only seems fair for the type of facility that's proposed.

Anyways good result, keep the updates coming!

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Plough ahead at all costs, there will be people putting red tape in front of you, we did it with knapsack, it took ages and persistance, we had to play a political game to thwart the green opponents, but it turned out ok in the end.
Your situation sounds great!

will2

Likes Dirt
At least the area has been filled with shit since 1965. Even if greenies protest, there isn't a whole lot you can do to make the site worse. But yes, very pleased with outcome and look forward to the future. Sounds like there is going to be some sort of MTB Club/organisation on the Northern Beaches. Well one that functions anyway.

wazzaa

Likes Bikes
Fantastic news! Very exciting... sounds like just about the best result you could ask for. Hopefully they are as good as their word

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
It would seem the tide is turning with regards to legal trail developments......well done
As long as the trail is on an ex-rubbish dump or some other piece of already demolished scenery!!

Huge kudos to all those involved to date...you've not only done well but set the precedent for all who come after...

Next step...Kimbriki? :boink:

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think the biggest news is that a council has made an intelligent decision. Surely this has to be a first. Our council certainly wouldn't be capable of such a thing!

scblack

Leucocholic
I think the biggest news is that a council has made an intelligent decision. Surely this has to be a first. Our council certainly wouldn't be capable of such a thing!
I lived in Dee Why and North Curl Curl for many years. Warringah Council I found to be pretty good.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There's still a long way to go, so let's not all get too excited.....

We're at a point (i) the Waste Assets Management Corporation want to build a bike park; (ii) Council is supportive of a bike park being built; and (iii) Council wishes the bike park to be managed by a local rider association.

What we don't know is (i) how the State Government feels about the whole thing, for example in terms of tendering for site management; and (ii) the extent to which Waste Assets Management Corporation are prepared to work closely with a local rider association during design and construction.

That being said, I'm not all that worried.

trickbooter

Likes Dirt
OMG is this what politics in action looks like? This was my first ever political thing (outside of voting) that I have done. Not only was there a positive result but one that seems to truly understand the value of a community led park. Awesome.

I am sorry I couldn't be at the council meeting but I am glad my email contributed to the 400.

Really awesome.

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone else attend the CAC meeting with WAMC, council and the local residents this afternoon?

It would appear we may be getting prematurely excited, council have effectively washed their hands of this project.
Statement from the member for Davidson here

The mountain bikers represented were very positive in their approach and comments, hopefully they can work something out with WAMC.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone else attend the CAC meeting with WAMC, council and the local residents this afternoon?

It would appear we may be getting prematurely excited, council have effectively washed their hands of this project.
Statement from the member for Davidson here

The mountain bikers represented were very positive in their approach and comments, hopefully they can work something out with WAMC.

Nothing unexpected at the meeting.

We've got an organised group committed to a quality facility. And we've got a lot of work to do in convincing WAMC (the current site managers) that they should work with us.

It's an interesting dynamic, as I see it. You've got WAMC, who want to build a bike park, and have $3.5M. But they can't build a bike park unless they have someone to assume ongoing responsibility. Neither local or state government have any interest in doing so. Council are supportive of the facility being handed to a local association. And, there's a local association (well, association-in-progress) keen to take on that role. But WAMC seems very reluctant to trust the local association. In the meantime, they're spending a shitload of money on the bike park in questionable ways, including (i) dumping skills parks from the proposal; and (ii) employing a person with no relevant experience to mark out bike park trails. No MTB community consultation, and I'd say no idea what they're doing.

Plenty of work to do, but we'll get it done.