COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Wow, ADF used as a domestic enforcement capacity.

That's something we've never done before. Huge.
The right call IMO.

The amount of people I see flouting the rules is quite extraordinary, although it has to be said Govt communication has been poor.

If people aren't scared by scenes from Spain and Italy, maybe a uniformed presence on the street will get the message across.

(I know that's not where we're at yet...)

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
What a bloody impenetrable word soup that is; fuck knows what was in the 'he rambles' bit...

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
The right call IMO.

The amount of people I see flouting the rules is quite extraordinary, although it has to be said Govt communication has been poor.

If people aren't scared by scenes from Spain and Italy, maybe a uniformed presence on the street will get the message across.

I'm going to reserve my opinion on that until I see exactly how it works. The ADF is not trained for these types of roles and deploying ADF in a constabulary support role is obviously a quantum leap from the world we know. I don't think that we're about to turn into a police state - I genuinely don't believe that is a plausible reality. However, these are the steps that must be taken for that to happen so you can't help but at least prick up your ear when you hear it. As this govt may be fine, but following govts in different circumstances can use precedents for nfarious reasons.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
The right call IMO.

You've just given a chunk of the population that are least likely to care $750 and extra cash.... simple maths IMO :)

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
PM just amped things up again.

Mandatory 14-day quarantine for returning travellers as of midnight Saturday - they'll be locked up in hotels in their port of arrival.

Army to assist in enforcing voluntary home isolation.
Too.
Fucking.
Late.

This is all "triggered" legislation. Fuck all planning has happened - I bet this has something to do with recent news articles of peeps wandering the streets when under self-isolation requirements.

We can fix this by "being Strayan" - as per OzzieMan's video earlier :oops:

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Wouldn't rolling out defence staff in a policing role require legislation? They would otherwise have no actual authority over the populace.
You'd be correct, but the defence force apparently won't have any power to enforce the isolation, just determine if someone is at home or not. And if not, they get a nice big fine I'd imagine.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Interesting graphic from the WP:

Shows which states were the most fragile.

Just the start...
Big cities are hardest hit....and unlike many redneck states, are doing shutdowns.
I was listening to a governor of a midwestern state give a COVID19 press conference the other day. He was asked if there would be any shutdowns. He said ‘we’re not China’.
States that’s are less populated and more rural are doing sweet FA. If the curb isn’t flattened by they time they get hit, they are screwed.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Also authorisation under legislation can be a state role and depending on the legislation you could quickly authorises a large number of people for a short period of time. Think of parking officers.

clockworked

Like an orange
I'm no lawyer, but i as i understand it yhe deployment of the defence force in any enforcement role would need significant change in legislation.
I assume they'll just be out strongly suggesting that people stay home, and dobbing on people breaking iso.

I reckon it'll be used to increase the police's capability to monitor iso cases

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
In the uk the army is being used to ferry goods to the most vulnerable who are in lock down so they do not have to leave their houses. BIL qualifies. Not sure on the logistics, was just mentioned as part of an overall conversation. At least he has a decent sized yard to frolick in and a farm on the other two sides.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Can you explain more?
In construction, people are trying to cancel out of fear. Mostly first home buyers. Plus all the jobs losses playing havoc on pending settlements across the state. Banks asking any with pending formals if they still have work etc.

Flip side: construction costs will jump heavily. Trades making up lost income, materials with the dollarn drop will jump and a flood of people returning will see a spike. Investors are all in, cashing in on sub 500k properties ready to sell later on.. Firb purchases also through the roof..