COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You'd be correct, but the defence force apparently won't have any power to enforce the isolation, just determine if someone is at home or not. And if not, they get a nice big fine I'd imagine.
But on what grounds? Theoretically, without legislation to back it up, that would be no different to you or I calling a hot line and reporting someone being out. Which wouldÆ then need to be investigated by the relevant authority before any action could be taken. Maybe it's a scare tactic and those who get fined might be able to challenge the fine in review panel/tribunal/court etc which probably won't be an option until its all over.

They are deployed in support of police. They don't have powers of arrest.
And I'd like to know what their role and training for that is going to be. I suspect that there isn't a lot of customer service or community engagement training for the average foot soldier. I understand that you and a number of other people on here have been or are part of the defence force and I also understand that there would be a diverse range of personality enlisted, so I'm not saying these people are from the killbot factory and shouldn't be released on the public. I would just like their role to be well clarified before military personal are deployed. It sounds quite a different scenario to getting them to help with natural disasters, something that I think is a great idea and worth being a regular part of their existence and training.

In the uk the army is being used to ferry goods to the most vulnerable who are in lock down so they do not have to leave their houses. BIL qualifies. Not sure on the logistics, was just mentioned as part of an overall conversation. At least he has a decent sized yard to frolick in and a farm on the other two sides.
Using their capacity for logistical support sound quite reasonable.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How anyone could sensibly buy a property in these mad times is beyond me at the current valuations. Blind Freddie can see a big correction coming to the whole economy, not just residential property, surely the lenders are getting scared of their shadows at current house prices?

Biggest recession looming since the 1930s say the financial experts.
If you were playing the odds, a 1930’s depression is on the cards. But they didn’t have central banks, qe, stimulus and funny money back then. So it won’t be that bad. The economic figures will be as bad if not worse but the impact lower because banks can now just invent money out of thin air and hand it out to everyone..

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
One on one real estate interviews ok.
Yeah everything is by appointment. All displays are running via a questionaire upon entry to track each movement with a cleaning protocol engaged after each group. No more than 5 people (ie. 1 family) per property, 1 group at a time. All my meetings this weekend for contracts are via zoom and docusign - all clients seem more than happy.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
And the local government elections in Queensland are going ahead.
crazy fuckers ey?

we early voted on Thursday.

There will be a huge absentee percentage, whoever loses will cry foul about the decision to hold the election now. Wonder if they will really have a right to fine people for not voting in the circumstances?

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Saw this last night, been tracking the planes seen from my place as there are so few movements lately:

London to Sydney over the US.

Seems a FR24 anomaly as per pprune:

But this:

QF1 and 2 are routing SYD-DRW-LHR-DRW-SYD due to current restrictions in Singapore. Already been announced, nothing to see here.
Who ever thought there would be a direct service from Darwin to London.

Airlines be airlines - make it happen...

Freediver

I can go full Karen
finally someone making sense o corona & worldwide overreaction
corona truth
Seriously? From Wikipedia
His comments on the COVID 19 pandemic caused criticism from German scientists. Various German media examined Wodarg's claims for accuracy and concluded that his statements would largely contradict the verifiable facts, some statements were neither refutable nor verifiable, but on closer examination proved to be misleading. It would mix up facts that had nothing to do with each other.[10][11][12][13][14][15][16][17][18][19][20][21][22][23]

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Social distancing with your mates:

Two utes. Five guys. Day on the beach fishing.

Yeah but they are mates, mates wouldn’t give mates COVID19, that’d be un-Strayan.

As long as this shit goes on, lockdowns will continue.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I know it's been said numberous times but if you are young you might have better odds but the risks are still there, just read 42 of the people in ICU in France at the moment are under 30, so not only could you kill somone's husband/father/grandfather an otherwise fit and healthy (73 yo in Perth yesterday) but you could be the victim. I know most of us are in the older and hopefully wiser bracket here but just in case...

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
The queues waiting to vote are ludicrous. I did the numbers. On average for 10 hours in our electorate 60 random people will be in line to go through the local polling station plus the scrutineers and hangers on. Fuck that.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Thought I’d try to nip out to the local fruit & veg market to get a few thing this morning. Never again. Place wasn’t set up to keep people separated (eg. common aisle about 1m wide between two checkouts) and for the most part, shoppers not really giving a shit how close they were to each other. Sticking to Woolies now, at least they’re serious about keeping people apart.

And the Qld LGA elections can eat a bag of dicks. Last thing we need is people in queues and changes in local governments - not the time to be shuffling the deck chairs.