COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

safreek

Well, life sucks. Whilst I had ideas of being like a lot if you fellas, on a massive dole cheque and whacking the super then just laying around for half a year or so I have been ripped off.
More work than I can poke a stick at has come in.
So long luxury living on the dole, I have to work :(

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
In principal, I agree with what you're saying. However, practice isn't so easy. I'm obviously no CCP apologist but these things in bold above can be laid at the feet of the USA, Indonesia, KSA, Australia...., oops! If we were to limit ourselves to only those countries who share what we espouse, we would be the loser in the end. Secondly, you cut off countries like China because of what the CCP does, it's not them that will be hurt, it will be the average Chinese citizen - DPRK and Iran are the best examples here. I guess it's a balance, but I'd also argue that we are dramatically over-balanced toward China at the moment in trade dependence.

In saying that though, we're actually talking about foreign investment, right? Not so much trade?
Mainly foreign investment yes, trade deals can always be scrapped if they become grossly inequitable. That said, the government can force a foreign investor to divest if they have good reason, can't they?

You're quite right that other countries are as culpable as China, they're simply the poster-boy of state sanctioned skullduggery thanks to the way they're often portrayed in our media and by Pauline. Our unhealthy economic dependence on them amplifies the bias.

Thanks for your measured responses too - your perspective is appreciated.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Well, life sucks. Whilst I had ideas of being like a lot if you fellas, on a massive dole cheque and whacking the super then just laying around for half a year or so I have been ripped off.
Exotic home dancing business taking off then?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'll send you a postcard. Well once I finish the layby payments for the stamp.

Excellent news today, unless you're casual and been put off, and haven't been working at the place for 12 months, like my son.
How so?

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Excellent news today, unless you're casual and been put off, and haven't been working at the place for 12 months, like my son.
doesn’t he qualify for any other help?

this’ll help our company atleast. Work has slowed down heaps. Still getting breakdowns in but you can’t have 16 people standing around doing nothing except wait.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
That is good news...we just got the call today that we are required to start taking our annual/long service leave from 01/04.

teK--

Eats Squid
In principal, I agree with what you're saying. However, practice isn't so easy. I'm obviously no CCP apologist but these things in bold above can be laid at the feet of the USA, Indonesia, KSA, Australia...., oops! If we were to limit ourselves to only those countries who share what we espouse, we would be the loser in the end. Secondly, you cut off countries like China because of what the CCP does, it's not them that will be hurt, it will be the average Chinese citizen - DPRK and Iran are the best examples here. I guess it's a balance, but I'd also argue that we are dramatically over-balanced toward China at the moment in trade dependence.

In saying that though, we're actually talking about foreign investment, right? Not so much trade?
Damn right.

China are just doing now what other countries were doing decades before them. Everyone's just pissed off because in some ways they are doing it better, on a bigger scale, and hence more efficiently.

E.g. why do people think India and China have such a problem agreeing to cutting carbon emissions? Because other developed countries were the ones who got us in this shitty mess in the first place. They just want their fair share.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Damn right.

China are just doing now what other countries were doing decades before them. Everyone's just pissed off because in some ways they are doing it better, on a bigger scale, and hence more efficiently.

E.g. why do people think India and China have such a problem agreeing to cutting carbon emissions? Because other developed countries were the ones who got us in this shitty mess in the first place. They just want their fair share.
Except a dollar earned in business in China is very different than a dollar in a western economy. Low wages, low/no regulation, human rights, no tax/fraud/theft, no patent protection, etc and the list goes on and on. They then take this money and invest internationally. Hardly a level playing field..

teK--

Eats Squid
Except a dollar earned in business in China is very different than a dollar in a western economy. Low wages, low/no regulation, human rights, no tax/fraud/theft, no patent protection, etc and the list goes on and on. They then take this money and invest internationally. Hardly a level playing field..
I'm not saying I agree with their shortcomings. But most people don't seem mind because it leads to cheap manufacturing exports to other countries and we keep buying from them.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Worked 14 years at one place and just 2 months ago got a new job so my employer doesnt get the bonus for me so guess who would be on the chopping block first. And because centrelink arent asset testing that means I am in the same boat as the dude with 4 houses and a Lambo when I lose my job.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Worked 14 years at one place and just 2 months ago got a new job so my employer doesnt get the bonus for me so guess who would be on the chopping block first. And because centrelink arent asset testing that means I am in the same boat as the dude with 4 houses and a Lambo when I lose my job.
That sucks hopefully they'll make some amendments to deal with cases like yours.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It’s pretty shit isn’t.. The 4 houses lambo guy’s misses could be on 300k and he still gets the payout as well. I heard a story on one bloke requested a 6 month mortgage freeze on his 1.5 million mortage while he has an active 2 million dollar share portfolio.. The rich are getting bailed out again..

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It’s pretty shit isn’t.. The 4 houses lambo guy’s misses could be on 300k and he still gets the payout as well. I heard a story on one bloke requested a 6 month mortgage freeze on his 1.5 million mortage while he has an active 2 million dollar share portfolio.. The rich are getting bailed out again..
I can understand it to a degree though. If they are getting money then they will be spending money on a range of stuff. If I got money I would just be paying rent and food for the family...

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I can understand it to a degree though. If they are getting money then they will be spending money on a range of stuff. If I got money I would just be paying rent and food for the family...
Liberal party coolade. Give the rich money and it'll get to the poor by them spending it.

Your rent and food supports the economy as much as the rich guys 3rd Porsche, probably more.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk