COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Are the people that believe in this 5G/ Bill Gates/ vaccine/ Easter Bunny shit actually mentally ill? They obviously don't respond to rational argument or rational anything for that matter.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Not if you stop your browser from loading the page before the paywall popup appears...

Inside the coronavirus bicycle boom
Natasha Boddy

Natasha BoddyWork & Careers reporter
Updated Apr 14, 2020 – 9.09am,first published at Apr 13, 2020 – 6.12pm
Save
At 99 Bikes in Bondi Junction, queues have been snaking out the door over the past few weeks.

The queues are thanks in part to physical distancing rules, but it's also because the COVID-19 lockdown has everyone going gaga for cycling as they look for new ways to get active or alternatives to public transport.

Matt Turner, son of travel entrepreneur Graham "Skroo" Turner and managing director of Pedal Group, the company behind 99 Bikes, says there has been a huge uptick in business, especially over the last four weeks.

"There's been about a 50 per cent increase across our stores, but in our city stores it would be more, so around inner Sydney, inner Melbourne, inner Brisbane," he said.

Online retailer Bicycles Online has also seen its sales figures more than double in the past two weeks. Commuter bike sales grew 210 per cent, kids bike sales were up 60 per cent and mountain bike sales surged 170 per cent.

"Sales are exceeding what we would expect to see at Christmas,” said Bicycles Online co-founder James van Rooyen.

Advertisement

Nick Johns said there has been a wide range of customers interested in cycling. Louie Douvis
Bikes 99 salesman Nick Johns said the last four weeks had been "non-stop".
"We've got people dusting off old bikes, we've had a lot of people who have been thinking about getting a bike for a long time who say they may as well do it now," he said.
"We've also had a lot of people spending time with their family which is really good to see, buying kids bikes. We've even had a few families come into and buy all bikes [for the whole family]."
Mr Johns said it was great that families were spending more time together and that so many people were getting active.
"They've got the choice if they want to get fat and be alcoholics or get fit and love their family, that's how I see it. Sorry I'm blunt," he said.
99 Bikes has 47 stores across the country and is jointly-owned by Flight Centre, the Turner family and employees.
The company has employed about an extra 50 staff to cope with the increased demand. Of those, about half were Flight Centre staff who had been stood down.
Mr Turner said there was strong demand across a mix of products, especially for bikes under $1200 through to trainers, which had all sold out.
"It's been challenging from a supply perspective and a people perspective. But generally I think the guys in the store are loving the extra attention from more customers and getting more people onto bikes, which is obviously why we exist."
All 99 Bikes stores were practising physical distancing and limiting the number of customers in the store at any one time. (Most states are still allowing people to cycle with the people they live with or one other person, but check any social distancing requirements as they can vary from state to state.)
Mr Turner believes the cycling surge is being driven by three reasons: transport, health and exercise and family activities.
Australian Cycle Alliance president Edward Hore said the pandemic had definitely sparked a renewed interest in cycling.
"Essentially, it's the easiest way to keep your social distance and get exercise at the same time," he said.
"It's good for your metabolism, it's good for your fitness and it's good for your mental health. There are just so many positives of going for a ride right now."
Mr Hore said fewer cars on the road also meant it was a lot safer for cyclists at the moment.

Alexander Miller, spokesman for the Bicycle Network, said data collected a few weeks ago had indicated an increase in cyclists on key commuter routes.
"We think it's a good thing to go out and ride a bike and make sure you're getting that physical activity every day, at least 30 minutes, because it's really important for physical and mental health."
Mr Turner said it was hard to know if the surge in demand would sustain, but the company was planning "as if it will be".

"We don't want to miss out on that extra demand. Worst case is we end up with too much product of the things that are in demand now," he said.
Mr Hore hopes it will lead to more cyclists on the road, as well as an appreciation of social distancing between cyclists and motorists.
"We know what a metre and a half is now... so it's obvious now we can all give each 1.5 metres safely – even on the road," he said.
Of course their sales are going through the roof, they're staffed by Flight Centre. If I want expert advice, and top shelf bike servicing, I only trust holiday sales desk jockeys.

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Of course their sales are going through the roof, they're staffed by Flight Centre. If I want expert advice, and top shelf bike servicing, I only trust holiday sales desk jockeys.

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk
My mate who has been around the industry (+20yrs) went to work for them. He walked out before lunchtime on the first day, after the "business" strategy was explained by the area manager and didn't go back.
I won't go into details, other than it's predatory and not how you gain market share and run a successful business.

Flow-Rider

Burner
My mate who has been around the industry (+20yrs) went to work for them. He walked out before lunchtime on the first day, after the "business" strategy was explained by the area manager and didn't go back.
I won't go into details, other than it's predatory and not how you gain market share and run a successful business.
They certainly have some frivolous sale tactics from their trained monkeys.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
The sales to the consumer are only part of the strategy.
When the business plan is to deliberately set up next to existing LBS and price them out of business they can go get fucked!
I worked at a small bike shop in Lane Cove and we were never too worried about them setting up shop up the road. Their sales tactics and general lack of knowledge led many customers to our store.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I doubt it is very different to other large retailers. Predatory pricing is the way to undermine the competition that you can't beat on service...

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Beginning of the video - WorldWideCyclery online & email traffic went up 500% and has pegged there since...

The bicycle industry is a winner out of this.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
SA as from today.

Pubs, Churches, Gyms, Restaurants, Cinema, Beauty salons ect, are allowed 80 people inside, socially distanced.

The cancelled Melrose Fat Tyre festival was meant to be on this long weekend... the event is off but the campsite and accommodation are still all booked out.

Its good to be getting back to whatever normal will be from now on.

Only 1 case a few days back from an International visitor who flew in to VIC and got a travel exemption after 1 week to fly to SA, the virus was detected at the airport. Over 3 weeks Corona free.

Been a while so looking forward to Not-the-FTF for 5 days... Yeoooow !

Ackland

chats d'élevage
SA as from today.

Pubs, Churches, Gyms, Restaurants, Cinema, Beauty salons ect, are allowed 80 people inside, socially distanced.

The cancelled Melrose Fat Tyre festival was meant to be on this long weekend... the event is off but the campsite and accommodation are still all booked out.

Its good to be getting back to whatever normal will be from now on.

Only 1 case a few days back from an International visitor who flew in to VIC and got a travel exemption after 1 week to fly to SA, the virus was detected at the airport. Over 3 weeks Corona free.

Been a while so looking forward to Not-the-FTF for 5 days... Yeoooow !
Yeah I don't get the appeal of going to an awesome quiet trail town on the one weekend that it's the busiest network in the state.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Yeah I don't get the appeal of going to an awesome quiet trail town on the one weekend that it's the busiest network in the state.
Wont be long mate :)

You might not have a choice.

Put it this way, in the early years I (dad) wanted to go... in the last 6-7yrs, if I didnt want to go, the kids and missus would have went without me.... and my missus doesn't even ride a bike (I've tried hard)

My boys wouldn't miss it for the world.

Besides, I'm a people person. I like crowds of different people doing my same shit... riding, beers, camping and a bit of smack talk.