COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

moorey

call me Mia
Sort of agree, I wasn’t commenting on whether she had to go or not, more that an enquiry where everyone shrugs their shoulders suggests the government is more interested in saving face than being accountable. The world turned to custard pretty quick and sadly mistakes were made, but not owing your fuckups is just shitty leadership.

What’s your take on the inquiry as a Victorian - outcome as expected?
I don’t have a take on it really. Haven’t followed it close enough and wasn’t expecting much from it. I may be Victorian, I'm just burner out from TBI coming from all sides.
As above, JP had to go, and probably Pakula as well. If they weren’t both aware, they probably should have been.
Did Dan know? I don’t know. Again, I’m not sure I think he should have at the time. Should he have known more in hindsight? Probably.
In the end (and I didn’t vote for him), I think he’s done a pretty good job of managing the aftermath, and IMHO prevented it from becoming a lot worse. Many people are hurting bad from the lockdown, but I think a lot more would have otherwise. (financially, emotionally and physically)

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They should probably have both known...and seemingly did. Not sure why you think he is more responsible than her.
Full confession....I’m really not following it. I’m over it. Nothing now will change anything for the better.
I only think he is more responsible for the security guards, not the health issues.. I just think Jenny getting thrown under the bus by Dan is piss poor.. She has coped an absolute belting from the greek aussie community from the large numbers of deaths in greek managed (federal) aged care.. She was always going to go, but shouldn’t be blamed for the entire debacle... Dan is the best in the business of keeping his hands clean..

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
From an outsider, who has had a positive effect from covid, my roster went from 4 on 5 off to 5 on 10 off, now that SA has zero community transmission, we are 4 on, 6 off. So still better off in that regard.

My full Face 2 Face TAFE course went 100% to online, that was a bit of a draw back but I was 'getting it' better than nearly everyone else in my class, plus I got to roll out of bed at 9am with trackies, uggies and hoody on, and start the class at 9:30am. Thats easier than a 7:30 walk to the train station, so another plus.

None of us outside Melbourne can fathom what stress has been put on each and every one of those affected by the lockdown.

All claiming amnesia is shit house, not something Victorians want to hear... or even kicking the chair on an easy target, At the end of the day, its happened, how are you going to continue, how is the government going to help and what is the plan to keep the economy going up !

AKA dont fucking send shit offshore when good Aussies workers can do it !

Last edited:

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
None of us outside Melbourne can fathom what stress has been put on each and every one of those affected by the lockdown.
Reckon SA and the other leaner states that locked their borders will be able to fathom their losses in gst and gdp next quarter.. I ain’t fan of Melbourne, but the rest of the country is fucked if Victoria as a whole goes to shit.. For example, 40% of the country’s food supply comes from here..
Why do reckon ol scomo is so upset with Dan.. NSW can’t do it alone..

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
A big flow on effect of this whole lockdown is yet to reveal itself. A huge amount of Australian fresh food is harvested by backpackers and migrant workers (who aren't here). I'm hearing big shortages of fruit pickers and not enough shearers to shear all our sheep before summer. A radio show tonight was reporting strawberry farms are only planting 40% of the usual crop this season. That's also going to mean increased prices of locally grown food, in a receding economy.
Government stimulus slowly being wound up. All those deferred mortgages about to kick into gear again too.

We ain't seen nothing yet.

ozzybmx

Reckon SA and the other leaner states that locked their borders will be able to fathom their losses in gst and gdp next quarter.. I ain’t fan of Melbourne, but the rest of the country is fucked if Victoria as a whole goes to shit.. For example, 40% of the country’s food supply comes from here..
Everyone will pay in tax levys for many years but thats just the way Oz works.

The main priority is to get Vic clean and get down to properly managing incoming attacks, there's going to be that possiblilty of another 'wave' for quite a few years.

Either way... buy a caravan, overseas options will be fucked for a few years. I hear mid 2021 if you want to take the risk.

ozzybmx

Its a shit situation to have the SA borders open to every state in Oz but Vic... though it wouldn't be wise to open at this time.

Flip side, SA is not allowed in WA or TAS. We have had basically less than both those states yet they are clammed shut to everyone.

ozzybmx

The only reason Tas is fairing well now is because they don't receive any international flights at all.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Could you pricks pull your fingers out please? Fucking limes are like $20/kg!!! Surely there is a surplus of these things with all those swanky Melbourne bars closed and NSW bars trading a reduced capacity???

A big flow on effect of this whole lockdown is yet to reveal itself. A huge amount of Australian fresh food is harvested by backpackers and migrant workers (who aren't here). I'm hearing big shortages of fruit pickers and not enough shearers to shear all our sheep before summer. A radio show tonight was reporting strawberry farms are only planting 40% of the usual crop this season. That's also going to mean increased prices of locally grown food, in a receding economy.
Government stimulus slowly being wound up. All those deferred mortgages about to kick into gear again too.

It's a novel idea, but those farmers (often megafarms) could try paying a fair rate and not exploiting vulnerable workers...

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nothing to do with the majority approving of Dan and disapproving of Scotty....or simply that he’s playing politics?
Politics but not the partisan stuff, scotty is worried about the economic bottom line that fed is responsible for. Vic GDP down = Aust GDP down 25-30%.. Big hole..

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange

I reckon there's a bit of a vicious circle in that.... Australians somewhere along the line have decided somewhere along the way that that sort of manual work is demeaning and not what they believe is "worthy" (fruit & stuff comes from shops dunnit?). Growers can't hire locally for the above reasoning, so have to look for transient staff.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Could you pricks pull your fingers out please? Fucking limes are like $20/kg!!! Surely there is a surplus of these things with all those swanky Melbourne bars closed and NSW bars trading a reduced capacity???...
prepares are using the limes to hold offf the virus, 5G virus that is,

moorey

call me Mia
Politics but not the partisan stuff, scotty is worried about the economic bottom line that fed is responsible for. Vic GDP down = Aust GDP down 25-30%.. Big hole..
You think he’d be exactly the same if a Liberal Vic government did the same thing, with the same outcome, he’d look at it the same way.
You’re as green as you are cabbage looking.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You think he’d be exactly the same if a Liberal Vic government did the same thing, with the same outcome, he’d look at it the same way.
You’re as green as you are cabbage looking.
Yeah fair call, there is partisan shite going on taking your angle, but what I was alluding to is scomo is worried mostly about his bottom line.. The line Vic adds a lot of gdp to.. If Dan was a labor premier kicking goals in a state with no cases, borders open, Scotty would be lovin it.. Cause it makes him look ace.. Scotty is all about scotty..
I can’t recall being green or who engaged the cabbage as my look a like..

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
The main priority is to get Vic clean and get down to properly managing incoming attacks, there's going to be that possiblilty of another 'wave' for quite a few years.
There is fuck all in the way of "incoming attacks" in Victoria because of the drastic cuts in incoming transport.The majority of the current case load is in the aged care sector - basically a captive market. The risk for spread comes from staff in that sector (a significant proportion of current cases are workers in that area) who don't work at a single facility, rather they're employed by an agency and susequently contracted to various facilities, or employed by a company that operates multiple facilities. Either way, that's how it got into that sector, and is now the biggest potential source of further spread.

We're at a point where targetted management is a viable pathway to keep a lid on this thing rather than clamping down everyone in unfocussed paranoia. The general vibe around Melbourne is that we're fucking over over being suspected of some imagined crime just for stepping outside our yards.I work in a small shop with three other guys - fortunately we've been able to keep operating in a restricted capacity - and the mental fatigue is palpable; previously light-hearted jibes are now becoming more bitter and pointed - our work interaction is basically the extent of our social life at the moment, and we're all shitty as a result of it. I could probably say more, but the alcohol is kicking in so I'm not going to make much more sense, so I'll stop now. You get the picture.

Last edited: