COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
There is fuck all in the way of "incoming attacks" in Victoria because of the drastic cuts in incoming transport.The majority of the current case load is in the aged care sector - basically a captive market. The risk for spread comes from staff in that sector (a significant proportion of current cases are workers in that area) who don't work at a single facility, rather they're employed by an agency and susequently contracted to various facilities, or employed by a company that operates multiple facilities. Either way, that's how it got into that sector, and is now the biggest potential source of further spread.
Yeah but it's not good for the bottom line to lock workers in to a permanent role in consistent location with regular hours...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Steely Dan...I like it! I think he deserves a tribute song. Not knowing much of their catalogue, any major dude will tell you seems to have the right name for the job. Well that or pretzel logic. Are pretzels even popular in Victoria though?

Freediver

I can go full Karen
There is fuck all in the way of "incoming attacks" in Victoria because of the drastic cuts in incoming transport.The majority of the current case load is in the aged care sector - basically a captive market. The risk for spread comes from staff in that sector (a significant proportion of current cases are workers in that area) who don't work at a single facility, rather they're employed by an agency and susequently contracted to various facilities, or employed by a company that operates multiple facilities. Either way, that's how it got into that sector, and is now the biggest potential source of further spread.

We're at a point where targetted management is a viable pathway to keep a lid on this thing rather than clamping down everyone in unfocussed paranoia. The general vibe around Melbourne is that we're fucking over over being suspected of some imagined crime just for stepping outside our yards.I work in a small shop with three other guys - fortunately we've been able to keep operating in a restricted capacity - and the mental fatigue is palpable; previously light-hearted jibes are now becoming more bitter and pointed - our work interaction is basically the extent of our social life at the moment, and we're all shitty as a result of it. I could probably say more, but the alcohol is kicking in so I'm not going to make much more sense, so I'll stop now. You get the picture.
Being so critical of being locked down I'm guessing you had a better solution for getting case numbers to where they are now.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
This model sounds familiar.... Where did we hear of large companies contracting out to subs who were paid f-all with poor oversight and it all went to shit? Oh that's right the security at hotel quarantine.

Why do these people work as casuals who have to work multiple jobs/facilities to make ends meet? Having had 2 grandparents in care these people are amazing and deserve to respect and stability of a steady job with a good pay.

We need to stop listening to chanting of its the workers fault when the same shit keep happening up across all industries. What did we learn in preschool maths? What's the common denominator??

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
This model sounds familiar.... Where did we hear of large companies contracting out to subs who were paid f-all with poor oversight and it all went to shit? Oh that's right the security at hotel quarantine.

Why do these people work as casuals who have to work multiple jobs/facilities to make ends meet? Having had 2 grandparents in care these people are amazing and deserve to respect and stability of a steady job with a good pay.

We need to stop listening to chanting of its the workers fault when the same shit keep happening up across all industries. What did we learn in preschool maths? What's the common denominator??
6?

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I imagine this also describes the situation of cleaning staff in the hotels. So, what if it got out through that channel instead of security? Would we have been hearing from the media that quarantine should have had soldiers doing the vacuuming?

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
I'm guessing you had a better solution for getting case numbers to where they are now.
yes you lock down in contact workers, so security stay in hotel quarantine with travellers, hlth care workers stay at or nearby to their work, if you don’t want community transmission stop them going into the community

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
yes you lock down in contact workers, so security stay in hotel quarantine with travellers, hlth care workers stay at or nearby to their work, if you don’t want community transmission stop them going into the community
Love that. Great idea. The poorly paid workers with the least entitlements and the shittiest working conditions also get to be the most isolated and carry the greatest burden so that the rest of us can continue to pretend we're not living in the midst of a global pandemic. Cool.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Great in theory but who is going to volunteer to be isolated from family for low paid casual position aged care? Not many democratic countries that have figured out how to protect the vulnerable.. Or if it is even possible with this particular virus..