COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
To those stating the UK are adopting a different approach, is this locked in?

https://www.technologyreview.com/f/...ronavirus-herd-immunity-strategy-250000-dead/

Sharp realizations: That strategy was met with fierce criticism over the weekend.

The Covid-19 Response Team based at Imperial College in London revealed on Monday that the government’s experts realized only over the last few days that its policy would “likely result in hundreds of thousands of deaths”—potentially 250,000—and that the burden on health systems would exceed their capacities and resources by as much as eight times.

"We were expecting herd immunity to build,” Azra Ghani, head of infectious disease epidemiology at Imperial College, told reporters Monday. “We now realize it’s not possible to cope with that.” Instead, the report advocates suppressing the virus with aggressive measures that would keep case numbers consistently low, in line with what many other countries are doing.

Correcting the ship: The UK government seems to have realized its errors and is now scrambling to to do better.

On Monday, Johnson asked people to avoid “non-essential contact” and refrain from going to crowded spaces and venues. A ban on mass gatherings starts Tuesday. Families were urged to stay home for 14 days should any members exhibit symptoms, not going out “even to buy food or essentials.”

“The aim now is not to slow the rate of growth of cases, but put the epidemic in reverse,” said Ghani. “Hopefully there will be tens of thousands of deaths. Maybe just a few thousand.”

Unfortunately, the report also suggests that isolation and social distancing might have to remain in effect until a viable coronavirus vaccine is produced, which could take as long as 18 months. “The only exit strategy is really vaccination or other forms of innovative technology,” said Neil Ferguson, an epidemiologist at Imperial College.
Sounds spiffy!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
2 words.
Soylent.
Green.

The problem sorts itself out.
With the right herbs and spices it would probably be ok...

You guys were right, the media aren't running headlines that promote panic! Damn paywall wont let me see the whole article though, so maybe once I dig down into the body it is rational and promotes calmness and unity...

Something I hate - google forcing headlines like these on me each time I open a browser tab and when I go to read I'm blocked. It's a very frustrating act of theirs

Attachments

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I see Britain have come on board with the mass control systems. We are being trained to submit! It's a hoax, our militias must activate now!

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
From the Guardian:

Still in Australia, in what appears to be a severe escalation of the supermarket wars, a man has been airlifted to hospital from the Victorian town of Rosebud after he was reportedly stabbed at a Woolworths.

Ambulance Victoria said paramedics were called to an incident in Rosebud, which is 88km from Melbourne on the Mornington Peninsula, at 12.55pm and treated a man for “an injury to the lower body.”

Neither paramedics nor Victoria Police — who asked Guardian Australia if we calling about the Rosebud incident almost before we’d stated our name — have provided any more information at this stage.

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
From the Guardian:

Still in Australia, in what appears to be a severe escalation of the supermarket wars, a man has been airlifted to hospital from the Victorian town of Rosebud after he was reportedly stabbed at a Woolworths.

Ambulance Victoria said paramedics were called to an incident in Rosebud, which is 88km from Melbourne on the Mornington Peninsula, at 12.55pm and treated a man for “an injury to the lower body.”

Neither paramedics nor Victoria Police — who asked Guardian Australia if we calling about the Rosebud incident almost before we’d stated our name — have provided any more information at this stage.
A Woolworths staff member has been stabbed in a shocking display of violence at a Victorian store this afternoon.
Police confirmed a 37-year-old man was stabbed in the carpark of a Woolworths in Rosebud just before 1pm.
It is believed the employee was collecting trolleys, when he was approached by an unknown man and stabbed to the lower body.
https://www.9news.com.au/national/m...victoria/6c11e75e-56b3-4a2f-83c4-495cb043e588

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Something I hate - google forcing headlines like these on me each time I open a browser tab and when I go to read I'm blocked. It's a very frustrating act of theirs
Here you go
They have been derided as irrational, selfish or just plain nutty. Turns out, the hoarders are getting the last laugh.
As recently as a week ago, political and business leaders assured Australians there was no need for panic buying.

Empty toilet paper shelves at Woolworths Double Bay on Sunday. Will Willitts
The toilet-paper factories were working around the clock to keep the nation sanitary, we were told. Keep calm and carry on wiping.
On Monday, the toilet paper shortage had spread to tissues and was threatening paper towels. In economics, they call it the substitution effect.
My local Woolworths said a toilet paper delivery scheduled for Sunday had been cancelled and the next one was uncertain. The local Coles told me, on Monday morning, to come back at 4pm, when more supplies were rumoured to be arriving.
Related Quotes
WOWWoolworths
$39.35 8.34%
1 year1 day

Updated: Mar 17, 2020 – 2.47pm. Data is 20 mins delayed.
View WOW related articles
COLColes Supermarkets
$16.64 4.79%

It is not just paper. Rolled oats, pasta sauce, tinned tomatoes, spaghetti, rice, flour, hand sanitiser and headache tablets have been sold out in some supermarkets. Demonstrating just how desperate some shoppers are, there are even shortages of Nutri-Grain.
Conditions in the aisles are so tense that Woolworths has posted warning signs. "Our team is here to help, not to be hurt," they say.
A remarkable aspect of the panic buying is that it started when only a tiny proportion of people appreciated the likely extent of the crisis. The toilet paper run began around the time of the first death, which is why it seemed so odd. The NSW Health Minister called it "ridiculous".
Now that the panic is spreading, those with a plentiful supply of toilet tissue probably feel a little smug.
How to end the shortages
The health crisis isn't about to end. One professional investor has calculated that "peak panic" will occur in the middle of May, the hospital system will run out of beds for the sick, and 1.6 million people will be known to be infected.
If the gloomy prognosis is true, the already-straining supermarket infrastructures are heading for worse trouble. Prolonged empty shelves would cause considerable societal anxiety.
Of course, the problem could be solved with a simple decision: increase prices until demand meets supply.
Want Uncle Toby's oats really bad? Then pay $9 a bag, rather than $4.25. Running low on Sorbent three-ply? Shell out $20 for an eight pack, rather than $9.50.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison will meet with state and territory leaders again on Tuesday.
Related
Australia is headed for a shutdown, it's just a question of how fast
Those shelves would fill right back up.
The big supermarkets are so vulnerable to political and public pressure that such a step would normally be unthinkable.
But a crisis can lead to strangely rational behaviour. Just ask the hoarders.

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
Here you go
They have been derided as irrational, selfish or just plain nutty. Turns out, the hoarders are getting the last laugh.
As recently as a week ago, political and business leaders assured Australians there was no need for panic buying.

The toilet-paper factories were working around the clock to keep the nation sanitary, we were told. Keep calm and carry on wiping.
On Monday, the toilet paper shortage had spread to tissues and was threatening paper towels. In economics, they call it the substitution effect.
My local Woolworths said a toilet paper delivery scheduled for Sunday had been cancelled and the next one was uncertain. The local Coles told me, on Monday morning, to come back at 4pm, when more supplies were rumoured to be arriving.
Related Quotes
WOWWoolworths
$39.35 8.34%
1 year1 day

COLColes Supermarkets
$16.64 4.79%

It is not just paper. Rolled oats, pasta sauce, tinned tomatoes, spaghetti, rice, flour, hand sanitiser and headache tablets have been sold out in some supermarkets. Demonstrating just how desperate some shoppers are, there are even shortages of Nutri-Grain.
Conditions in the aisles are so tense that Woolworths has posted warning signs. "Our team is here to help, not to be hurt," they say.
A remarkable aspect of the panic buying is that it started when only a tiny proportion of people appreciated the likely extent of the crisis. The toilet paper run began around the time of the first death, which is why it seemed so odd. The NSW Health Minister called it "ridiculous".
Now that the panic is spreading, those with a plentiful supply of toilet tissue probably feel a little smug.
How to end the shortages
The health crisis isn't about to end. One professional investor has calculated that "peak panic" will occur in the middle of May, the hospital system will run out of beds for the sick, and 1.6 million people will be known to be infected.
If the gloomy prognosis is true, the already-straining supermarket infrastructures are heading for worse trouble. Prolonged empty shelves would cause considerable societal anxiety.
Of course, the problem could be solved with a simple decision: increase prices until demand meets supply.
Want Uncle Toby's oats really bad? Then pay $9 a bag, rather than $4.25. Running low on Sorbent three-ply? Shell out $20 for an eight pack, rather than $9.50.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison will meet with state and territory leaders again on Tuesday.
Related
The big supermarkets are so vulnerable to political and public pressure that such a step would normally be unthinkable.
Obviously written by some idiot with a garage full of toilet paper. There will be no TP shortage. It'll all be up for sale on bookface in a month.
(I have no faith in humanity)

safreek

Yeah but the hoarders made it happen, no hoarding no problem.
It's just like the share market, if people don't panic the system does not collapse

Let me get my super out so I can help collapse the system

nathanm

Eats Squid
Here you go

Related Quotes
WOWWoolworths
$39.35 8.34%
1 year1 day

COLColes Supermarkets
$16.64 4.79%

How to end the shortages
Related
and this is exactly the shit that is driving the panic

Minlak

custom titis
Sitting here wishing I had hoarded now - We have just been put into isolation for 2 weeks with as little as 5 hrs notice to try and do something about it - Just so happens the online grocery shops have decided they need to stop online orders as they cant keep up - So cant leave the house - cant order online.