COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I'm seeing a disturbing number of reports from doctors urging more action:

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Sitting here wishing I had hoarded now - We have just been put into isolation for 2 weeks with as little as 5 hrs notice to try and do something about it - Just so happens the online grocery shops have decided they need to stop online orders as they cant keep up - So cant leave the house - cant order online.
That sucks. Someone in the fam tested positive then?

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
Sad reality is that hoarding is irrational until everyone else is doing it. Then its irrational not to follow the herd.
A lot of people can't finance the hoarding. Hoarding with that knowledge on board is a lot more than 'looking out for No. 1'. This isn't rocket science.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
My olds should be fine... 20 acres out in the bush, massive veggie garden, lots of chooks and goats etc. They'll be fine for months without extra supplies I reckon.

If it all goes tits up Zombieland style I might rock up there for a feed!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Thanks @Freediver - suspicions confirmed! That kind of shit is certainly not helping.

Sad reality is that hoarding is irrational until everyone else is doing it. Then its irrational not to follow the herd.
But my fridge top freezer is already full!!! I loaded up all the ice cube trays so I can make cocktails at will and now where am I supposed to put everything else???

Sitting here wishing I had hoarded now - We have just been put into isolation for 2 weeks with as little as 5 hrs notice to try and do something about it - Just so happens the online grocery shops have decided they need to stop online orders as they cant keep up - So cant leave the house - cant order online.
Damn! That's going to be tough @Minlak good luck. I'll post you 1 roll of toilet paper if you sharpen my folding knife? I've got the machettes to a good edge and the axe will do, but I can't get a razor edge on the EDC last line of defence.

Reads like it may not have been related to grocery shopping.

stirk

Burner
Yeah but the hoarders made it happen, no hoarding no problem.
It's just like the share market, if people don't panic the system does not collapse

Let me get my super out so I can help collapse the system
Once it became apparent the hoarders were stockpiling all the scared people started doing the same and then everyone joined in because if you don't you'll miss out entirely. I saw people today just loading up with whatever was left. Even the organic Japanese ramen and Udon noodles, quite pricey and usually well stocked, were all gone. Fckers, we have these noodles a couple of times a week and I suspect I'm one of few who actually buy them regularly.

Rationing might be on the cars if this keeps up and I try not to think of the waste from spoiled out of date goods in the future.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
...Rationing might be on the cars if this keeps up and I try not to think of the waste from spoiled out of date goods in the future.
You'd hope that once all the idiots have stocked up to the limits of their storage or credit card limits that it would just then return back to business as usual?

nathanm

Eats Squid
I'll get my groceries from the hoarder's homes.
What is most worrying is you and many other people will probably do just that. When some supermarket employee gets stabbed shit is starting to get real.

In this Trump era people would literally, stab each other in the back for a 6 pack of toilet paper.

Australia has not seen anything like this in the current generation. I read about the last depression where 'straylans were taught to band together and be resourceful and not waste.

In the current era it's every man for themselves and that is truly worrying, we really are only one step away from anarchy. If looting starts (and that has become a good 'ole australian tradition after disasters) then like panic buying, it will become contagious and people will just start taking supplies. Then you've got police resources being stretched having to protect supermarkets and arrest people for looting, assaulting etc.

How long until people are rioting in the streets? Sounds far fetched. Go back just a week in this thread where we were all laughing it up. Now that basic food staples are coming unavailable, the mood has changed big time.

on a lighter note though, I popped down the local providore for chicken. All the $10kg breast is gone but plenty of mince and chicken thighs still there. Not even the most discerning panic buyer can afford and extra $5 a kilo yet.

FigBo0T

Reads like it may not have been related to grocery shopping.
Did some digging on the bookface, but couldn't find any hot goss', so I'm left with my own speculations. Could be a domestic, drug debt, random psycho, or ... revenge attack for being denied the hoarding of the bog roll .... I hope it's the last. Anarchy is entertaining.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Anarchy is entertaining.
The problem with Anarchists and anti-social people in general is that they rebel against authority like the government, but expect the same authorities to be there when they need them. Loot a grocery store but expect the police to rock up when there house is robbed. Stab a trolley boy but expect the hospital to prioritise them when their family is injured in rioting. Enjoy watching anarchy, but complain they cant get on rotorburn when the internet fails.

FigBo0T

What is most worrying is you and many other people will probably do just that.
And what would the alternative be?

You're right, we did band together and act like a community in the past. Now, charity is business. Looking after your neighbors is stocking your garage like a supermarket, so you can sell them food at massively inflated prices, when the shops close down. Do you honestly think that isn't a motivator for these cunts?

FigBo0T

The problem with Anarchists and anti-social people in general is that they rebel against authority like the government, but expect the same authorities to be there when they need them. Loot a grocery store but expect the police to rock up when there house is robbed. Stab a trolley boy but expect the hospital to prioritise them when their family is injured in rioting. Enjoy watching anarchy, but complain they cant get on rotorburn when the internet fails.
Your horse needs oxygen.

FigBo0T

What would the alternative be to robbing from your neighbour? pretty much every other single option?
Name one. The scenario you seem to want to ignore is .... some (a lot of) people can't afford to stock up (hoard) even the basic essentials. Other people are selfishly taking what they don't need, in full knowledge that others won't be able to buy what they do need. And you think a starving person taking/stealing/robbing from the hoarder is the bigger crime?

It shows your true humanity, mate. Good for you and your capitalist principles.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
As long as they know which their to put there, then they're probably ok.

It's unlikely the trolley guy had been in store stopping people from overloading on consumables.

Cute humping pillow @Zaf . Weak spot around your rather small cod piece noticed...

• Love
Reactions: Zaf