COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Basing your entire opinion on a meme that's been shared around and posting it up on Facebook to say "See, there's your evidence!" :rolleyes:

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Basing your entire opinion on a meme that's been shared around and posting it up on Facebook to say "See, there's your evidence!" :rolleyes:
dont underestimate them. Their research consisted of not just one meme. it was MANY memes.

in all seriousness though, its amazing the power a meme can have. its crazy. If somone told you 20 years ago that a funny picture and less than 10 words couldprofoundly influence you if the timing was right, we'd all have laughed.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
dont underestimate them. Their research consisted of not just one meme. it was MANY memes.

in all seriousness though, its amazing the power a meme can have. its crazy. If somone told you 20 years ago that a funny picture and less than 10 words couldprofoundly influence you if the timing was right, we'd all have laughed.
You're right! Political cartoons were never effective.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
You're right! Political cartoons were never effective.
their reach was limited compared to todays meme. most people exposed to a political cartoon were actively reading papers. Todays meme can come up in your social feed, from a friend unsolicited, vis sms, etc and influences on a scale previously only dreamt about by news publishers back then.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub

IKR. I have seen so many times someone will post a meme with misinformation that is easily debunked and you will see so many people comment in a rant supporting it, mind made up, no other sources needed :rolleyes:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
their reach was limited compared to todays meme. most people exposed to a political cartoon were actively reading papers. Todays meme can come up in your social feed, from a friend unsolicited, vis sms, etc and influences on a scale previously only dreamt about by news publishers back then.
So the delivery mechanism has progressed...the same can be said for many things. Who in 1983 would have thought coffee would be so readily available? Or that grown men would spend so much of their time and money on mountain bikes? Magazines barely exist in the physical form anymore...

I'm not saying that political memes don't have an impact, just that it is a progression rather than something hat has never existed. It is definitely a tool that political parties here need to harness.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Fuck me I wish people would learn to use their mobile phones in public with a little courtesy...the boomer (65 years old...i heard her say it of course) sitting near me in this cafe is on speaker about stuff trying to book an appointment for someone to come to their home and do some cleaning. Holding the phone early an arms length from her face yelling into the wind! Where was I going? Oh yes...the covid part.

The cleaner advises the need for masks and civic safety while they are at the house. "Oh I'm not worried about any of that. It's all unnecessary." And I hear the voice from inside the phone "well I am worried about it and the precautions need to be followed."

Love the total lack of giving any fucks about the cleaner or any other people the cleaner could incidentally come into contact with etc should this careless boomer be spreading the disease.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Fuck me I wish people would learn to use their mobile phones in public with a little courtesy...the boomer (65 years old...i heard her say it of course) sitting near me in this cafe is on speaker about stuff trying to book an appointment for someone to come to their home and do some cleaning. Holding the phone early an arms length from her face yelling into the wind! Where was I going? Oh yes...the covid part.

The cleaner advises the need for masks and civic safety while they are at the house. "Oh I'm not worried about any of that. It's all unnecessary." And I hear the voice from inside the phone "well I am worried about it and the precautions need to be followed."

Love the total lack of giving any fucks about the cleaner or any other people the cleaner could incidentally come into contact with etc should this careless boomer be spreading the disease.
i dont make my cleaner wear a mask. She's welcome to, but its her own perogative when cleaning my house. I also sure as shit am not going to wear one in my house while a cleaner is here when i don't have to in an office with 300 other people.

Last edited:

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I suspect you aren't old and possibly not engaging a cleaner who services other elderly clients and wants to ensure everyone in their portfolio is as safe as possible...
my cleaner services elderly people and NDIS clients also. they aren't obligated to wear them. There's a couple mandated scenarios (like in an actual care facility or PT etc.), but for the most part its all wishy washy. There is a state wide "recommendation" to wear them where those present may be vulnerable to covid-19.

The gov't doesn't give a shit anymore and most of the mandated scenarios and recommendations are for show. State gov't is already looking to roll them back as it is, while we're still logging ~8-10k cases a day

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
my cleaner services elderly people and NDIS clients also. they aren't obligated to wear them. There's a couple mandated scenarios (like in an actual care facility or PT etc.), but for the most part its all wishy washy. There is a state wide "recommendation" to wear them where those present may be vulnerable to covid-19.

The gov't doesn't give a shit anymore and most of the mandated scenarios and recommendations are for show. State gov't is already looking to roll them back as it is, while we're still logging ~8-10k cases a day
I see.

Did you know the Rüppell's griffon vulture is the highest flying bird? They have been recorded flying as high as 11300m over head.