COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I was at the cardiologist with my Mum a week ago and there was a lady coughing into people's faces at the waiting room, just happened to be Chinese too and no one even flinched.
That would get a reaction from me anyway, I have no hesitation in telling people like off... I often get confused looks, which just makes me more annoyed. It’s rife these days, along with yawning and showing the world your tonsils.

Crass.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ran out of toilet paper last week and went to the shops but they were all gone. The next day I went to pick up a few different water bottles for prototyping at work early in the morning. Saw the toilet paper was there so grabbed some too. Was embarrassed to walk out of the shops with just water and toilet paper because I looked like those knobs I saw on the way in.

FoxRidersCo

Sanity is not statistical
Meanwhile whilst everyone is distracted by panic buying of toilet paper, all these happenings in the world go under the radar.....

1. North Korea Is Conducting New Missile Tests
  2. Saudi Arabia and Russia are having an Oil Price War
  3. Wall Street Has It's Worst Day Since The GFC
  4. Turkey Is Preparing To Invade Syria
  5. And The US Yesterday Launched Airstrikes On Iran

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Meanwhile whilst everyone is distracted by panic buying of toilet paper, all these happenings in the world go under the radar.....

Exactly

nathanm

Eats Squid

So Business as Usual.

I'm sure Australian politicians are still taking bribes, mis-spending our taxpayers money and bonking their staff but that doesn't make the news either.

FoxRidersCo

Sanity is not statistical
Interesting Headline

'Coronavirus will bankrupt more people than it kills — and that's the real global emergency'

Coronavirus’s economic danger is exponentially greater than its health risks to the public. If the virus does directly affect your life, it is most likely to be through stopping you going to work, forcing your employer to make you redundant, or bankrupting your business.

The trillions of dollars wiped from financial markets this week will be just the beginning, if our governments do not step in. And if President Trump continues to stumble in his handling of the situation, it may well affect his chances of re-election. Joe Biden in particular has identified Covid-19 as a weakness for Trump, promising “steady, reassuring” leadership during America’s hour of need.

Worldwide, Covid-19 has killed 4,389 with 31 US deaths as of today. But it will economically cripple millions, especially since the epidemic has formed a perfect storm with stock market crashes, an oil war between Russia and Saudi Arabia, and the spilling over of an actual war in Syria into another potential migrant crisis.

We may look back on coronavirus as the moment when the threads that hold the global economy together came unstuck; and startups and growing businesses could end up paying the price.

Just as important as fighting the virus — if not more important — is vaccinating our economies against the incoming pandemic of panic. Human suffering can come in the form of illness and death. But it can also be experienced as not being able to pay the bills or losing your home.

Small businesses in particular are struggling as supply chains dry up, leaving them without products or essential materials. Factory closures in China have led to a record low in the country’s Purchasing Manager’s Index which measures manufacturing output. China is the world’s largest exporter and is responsible for a third of global manufacturing, so China’s problem is everyone’s problem — even in the midst of a trade war between the White House and Beijing.

All this makes it even more worrying that governments continue to see this as a health crisis, not an economic one. It is time the economists took over from the doctors, before the real pandemic spreads.

It is difficult to imagine Italy not entering a recession (the world’s ninth-largest economy is now on lockdown). It is also difficult to imagine that failing to affect Europe and its largest trading partner, the United States. And it is impossible to see how any of this will not add up to a global downturn, unless governments step in faster and harder than they did 12 years ago during the last financial crisis.

The stakes are higher this time, because there seems to be a coordinated effort to economically hurt many Western countries, and warn them away from the aggressive trade policies that Trump has so enthusiastically adopted.

Although China bore the brunt of the virus’s economic and human cost, many in Beijing will see a silver lining in the weakening of the US economy, and a distraction from Trump’s trade wars that appeared to be escalating with no end in sight.

Almost perfectly synchronized with the coronavirus, a Russia-Saudi oil war has erupted. In the short-term, both Moscow and Riyadh can afford the 30 per cent overnight drop in the oil price. But America’s shale gas business cannot: The more expensive process of fracking means that much of the US oil sector will simply not exist if oil prices stay at historic lows, leading to shut downs, job losses and perhaps even state-level recessions.

President Trump has pushed through overdue payroll tax cuts and help for hourly workers — measures that will help both employers and employees survive.

In the UK, Chancellor Rishi Sunak yesterday unveiled a ‘Coronavirus Budget’. But everyone needs to think bigger if they want to properly deal with how this new factor changes the status quo.

This is about much more than coronavirus, oil prices, or even the global economy. This is about the balance of power between East and West. The epicenter of this has been, for the last 10 years, Syria. After a decade of conflict on the ground, the face-off seems to have now escalated from proxy war to economic conflict.

The emerging superpowers of Russia and China witnessed what many saw as American irrelevance in Syria. And they are now trying to cement their vision of a truly multi-polar world. Rather than allowing US ally Saudi Arabia to lead the oil markets through the OPEC cartel, Russia and China want to reshape global markets — and power balances — to their advantage.

To survive these shifts, the US, UK and others will need to protect the future of their businesses, large and small, and look for opportunities to benefit from the new economic world order, not deny it. Ignoring these changes will be even more damaging than any flu pandemic.

stirk

Burner
I'm not happy that my regular shop (baked beans, oats, chickpeas, pasta, pasta sauce, corn chips, rice, tuna and not much else) has become stigmatised.
My wife just had a tooth pulled out so needs soup and I probably looked like I was hoarding buying 10 tins and there was not much left.

clockworked

Like an orange
You know how tom hanks has corona virus. Thats pretty weird hey. If someone asked me who the least likely celebrity to get corona virus would be, I'd almost say tom hanks
But then i thought about it. The least likely candidate is probably the pope!
Because the virus doesn't really affect children, so the catholic priests should be sweet

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member

#1 - not going under the radar at all. Not only because you know that it occurred and it's all over the internet and news (and MTB forums) but you don't think governments and associated orgs are all over this stuff? You think everyone is just out covid zombying?!

#2 - The US did not launch air strikes on Iran.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Interesting Headline
'Coronavirus will bankrupt more people than it kills — and that's the real global emergency'
I've had similar sentiments whilst being exposed to the breathless hysteria of STOP ALL EVENTS CLOSE OUR BOARDERS (sic) - and feel the Federal Government (of whom I credit very, very little) have had a reasonably measured response so far, especially with a lot of the stimulus package.

But it seems the horse has well and truly bolted now, the shift I've seen in the last 24 hours is a contagion of full bore panic mode seemingly everywhere, including from a lot of people who should know better. Where has our ability to critically think gone?