COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

franco cozzo

Likes Dirt
bondi beach to be closed...possibly others too (according to the telegraph)

Bondi Beach will reportedly close in an attempt to quell the spread of the deadly coronavirus after thousands of beachgoers ignored social distancing urges yesterday.
It is understood Police Minister David Elliott is pushing the move amid widespread outrage over dramatic photos depicting thousands of beachgoers flocking to the beach despite global efforts to stay inside, away from large groups of people, to minimise risk of infection.

Other large beaches may follow suit.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner

Flow-Rider

Burner
Endgame C is so obviously logical answer.

Government mandated suspension of mortgages and rents for the duration of the shutdown, the pick-up where we left off just with closed border thereafter. I'm sure everyone could cope with a coordinated multi-week lock-down if you knew it was actually going to deal with the issue. The current approach is like walking out onto the beach when the water has diasppeared before a tsunami. It might be interesting times but it's going to overwhelm us very quickly...
People can't foresee a small loss now will be a big gain later.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
I'm with Poods on this one, they don't deserve it - and as a society we don't really need it in 99.9% of cases. Air travel is frivolous and an almost totally unnecessary luxury item that people have just become acclimatised to using as "the norm" for interstate/international travel. People only travel by air because it's faster and unrealistically cheap.

If Australia had high-speed rail between cities interstate flights would have died off years ago.
Absolutely agree @beeb - as a relatively flat nation rail is a very viable mode of transport. Certainly it would provide similar travel times between Sydney, Canberra and Melbourne, assuming you wouldn't need to faff around at a railway station as you do getting in an out of an airport. If you spent an hour at each end of an 1.5 hour flight from Sydney to Melbourne (travel city to airport, wait at airport, disembark, collect luggage travel to city), that is about 3.5 hours of total travel time for a distance of ~715km, or an average speed of just over 200km/hr. Imagine if you could simply swipe your Opal card and step on a train at Central and step off at Southern Cross; a HSR service that averages 200km/hr doesn't seem so impossible with current tech when European and Japanese trains typically operate at 300km/hr.

We're still addicted to air travel for longer distances, but hydrogen looks promising as a viable zero-emissions alternative to kerosene. Guilt free air travel is a possibility - just not in the near term.

I actually commented on a friend's FB page a week ago that this virus is what the world needs right now - a big wake up call to globalism, capitalism, money before the planet etc. To think that one little microscopic thing can tear the whole lot down is pretty incredible, and highlights the frailty of our current civilisation. If COVID-19 is here to teach us how to live and work more sustainably, in a fairer and more equitable world, then bring it on!

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Absolutely agree @beeb - as a relatively flat nation rail is a very viable mode of transport. Certainly it would provide similar travel times between Sydney, Canberra and Melbourne, assuming you wouldn't need to faff around at a railway station as you do getting in an out of an airport. If you spent an hour at each end of an 1.5 hour flight from Sydney to Melbourne (travel city to airport, wait at airport, disembark, collect luggage travel to city), that is about 3.5 hours of total travel time for a distance of ~715km, or an average speed of just over 200km/hr. Imagine if you could simply swipe your Opal card and step on a train at Central and step off at Southern Cross; a HSR service that averages 200km/hr doesn't seem so impossible with current tech when European and Japanese trains typically operate at 300km/hr.
This would be nice, but the $100bn cost to build said rail line means it would never be financially viable vs airfares costing <$200.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
https://news.sky.com/story/coronavi...talian-hospital-on-brink-of-collapse-11961130

I haven't watched this story as I don't think I want to. If we don't adopt Plan C outlined previously very shortly I fear this is where we will end up. Italy's health system is ranked 2nd in the world by the WHO.
My mate’s missus is a 40 something anaesthetist who if she was more laid back in life she’d be comatose.

With this, she’s shitting bricks. Absolutely terrified of dying. She knows about the huge viral loads in her profession (imagine what’s on an intubation tube that’s been extracted) and has looked at the o/s cases where young fit medical professionals have died.

If she’s worried we should all give a shit.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I am going to justifiably annoyed when the inevitable lock down comes and we can't ride our bikes because a bunch of selfish or ignorant muppets have continued to behave like nothing's wrong and ignore all of the advice to self isolate.
Agree with that. My club's committee cancelled our races days before the CA/MTBA decision and one Muppet started personally attacking me for overreacting. "But it's not in Mildura" was the favourite comment. Not yet Dipshit. Three other members, including one who works at the hospital, then pummelled him with all the facts and he hasn't been heard from since.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
no we shouldn’t, this is not a reputable site or peer reviewed article..i can draw a graph that goes up high in 5 mins

secondly you can do nothing now about icu beds, thirdly even if you added 1000 beds tomorrow (which we can’t afford) we do not have the people to staff them..most who go to hospital. will be on an isolation ward, in normal bed, not an icu bed