COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I have more of issue with the fact a chinese businesses in foreign countries can pivot from doing their main operations to doing what the ccp wants overnight. Who is going to pay the operational expenses of the companies involved since they had to stop regular trading? Few questions to be asked.

I don’t take issue with the the chinese people needed supplies in a desperate situation and we should have helped. The ccp could have asked the aust gov for help rather than backdooring.. It is not a great look..
There are many different forms of statecraft used by governments all over the world to look after their home countries interests. The western democracies use their armed forces to look after their home countries interests and industries where China is using a soft power approach. This is well documented and nothing new. I honestly put this in the same box as us invading the Middle East to shore up the US dollar, essentially a country on the other side of the world taking our resources to look after their own country. We just don't like it because it's happening to us now.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I have more of issue with the fact a chinese businesses in foreign countries can pivot from doing their main operations to doing what the ccp wants overnight.
Money talks. You can get any business to pivot to do anything if you throw enough money at the problem. During WW2 Australia basically stopped selling steel to the Japanese. Countries announce trade blocks almost overnight. it happens.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I don’t take issue with the the chinese people needed supplies in a desperate situation and we should have helped. The ccp could have asked the aust gov for help rather than backdooring.. It is not a great look..
Put it down to the all important losing face angle. CCP probably doesn't want to be seen as it is lost control or mismanaged it, so do it the softly, softly, quiet way instead.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
I have more of issue with the fact a chinese businesses in foreign countries can pivot from doing their main operations to doing what the ccp wants overnight. Who is going to pay the operational expenses of the companies involved since they had to stop regular trading? Few questions to be asked.

First things first, I'm no fan of the CCP but It's not like they stole them, at the time we didn't have a problem while China was in desperate need. We have a capitalist system where companies provide goods for sale so why go to the government. As I said earlier now China is pretty much supplying the rest of the world with med supplies, most of which they are handing out free.

I'm not sure what is wrong with people from non related industries helping out, it doesn't seem that different to distillers now making sanitiser or Ford and Tesla making respirators

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Put it down to the all important losing face angle. CCP probably doesn't want to be seen as it is lost control or mismanaged it, so do it the softly, softly, quiet way instead.
Yeah no doubt, just looks shit to the general public in oz though. Especially after the lack of masks from the fires.. Australia was on tender hooks already without a story like this hitting the media.

Last edited:

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
First things first, I'm no fan of the CCP but It's not like they stole them, at the time we didn't have a problem while China was in desperate need. We have a capitalist system where companies provide goods for sale so why go to the government. As I said earlier now China is pretty much supplying the rest of the world with med supplies, most of which they are handing out free.

I'm not sure what is wrong with people from non related industries helping out, it doesn't seem that different to distillers now making sanitiser or Ford and Tesla making respirators
Didn’t say they stole them.. We were preparing our heath system for the rona to swamp us Feb right? Just used a lot of masks during the fires.. We now don’t have enough supply and we now know during that important preparation phase our supplies were sent out the back door via the ccp soft infulence.. The same ccp that lied and hid the virus for months.. How exactly do you think the general public will react to that?
That’s why the story was published in is in the public interest.. Personally I am interested in the infulence issue, not the humanitarian aspect of it.

And btw the CCP should be supplying the world with medical supplies, they created this mess. They should be footing the economic bill as well..

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yeah no doubt, just looks shit though to the general public in oz though. Especially after the lack of masks from the fires.. Australia was on tender hooks already without a story like this hitting the media.

But it doesn't need to look like a shit act. What if the story was worded to show these brave heroes downing tools to chase up urgent medical supplies for people on desperate need and help reduce the chance of a global pandemic? What if we considered how many lives this action saved and how that in turn has facilitated a swift turn around in China's health flowing into their production capacity and on to positioning themselves to provide further assistance to other nations.

These people are the true patriots of globalisation...

Dramatic music here. Flags fluttering in wind.

Note that right down the bottom of the story the author does attempt to provide "balance" to the reality of the situation at the time the masks sanitiser and so on we being sent overseas. It was a long time before Australia was taking this shit seriously and a long time before there was any preparation going on. The story is deliberately emotive and designed to present a one sided perspective on thigs, nothing to do with the public interest. I would say it is actually a response to recent news articles debunking the "China are stealing all our shit" fear that is going on.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Yeah no doubt, just looks shit though to the general public in oz though. Especially after the lack of masks from the fires.. Australia was on tender hooks already without a story like this hitting the media.
Agreed. Media have their own agendas and the biased of their owners to contend with too. We are pretty quick to sell anything of value to anyone but as soon as it hits the fan it becomes the support local and buy 100% Australian.

Another one of my little grumpies is the '100% Australian owned and operated' tag on businesses that mainly import widgets and stuff.
I think translates that we source our stuff from the cheapest place globally and flog it here. Buy local and get ripped off by a local opposed to someone overseas who is going to try to do the same anyhow but at a lower price.

That dodgy old white guy hawking his overpriced hoses that pops up continually on TV is prime example IMHO.
https://www.hoselink.com.au/products/30m-retractable-hose-reel?

https://www.hoselink.com.au/pages/faqs
Our Hoselink fittings are Australian designed and 100% Australian owned. Although we used to manufacture all our fittings in Australia we were forced to move our operations to China when our Australian manufacturer told us they could no longer produce our product in Australia. The fittings are now manufactured to our exacting specifications in China, with our Australian-made tools.

Farq him too.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Stromlo isn't closed, and Handlebar has a takeaway licence now. I don't expect it to last long with everywhere else closing and I reckon there'll be a lot of people there tomorrow which will push a closure. I'm not going over the weekend, many options at my back door with no or very few other people around.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
....finding it hard to find masks, hand sanitiser, & gloves?

Honestly the media organisations quoted have about as much journalist credibility as these guys, at least one is funny during a time of crisis.

Flow-Rider

Burner
unexpected consequence of the zombie apocalypse, Women will no longer be able to visit the hairdresser or beautician. So no waxing, botox or hair dye.
Girls finally going to be looking like they do the next morning, all the time.
They're already hammering the coloured hair spray for the fake blondes on the idiot box here.